Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Manually power down the car from the controls menu, then step on the brake to turn it back on. Reboot the car.

I think its more involved than that. What you describe is no different than parking, getting out, and then going back in. It isnt a reboot. If they are truly rebooting the entire car, I think it requires pulling fuses. Though in the case as described above, they may have just meant a console reboot, which is pretty close to a full reboot.

@jomo25 it was exactly that. The thread is discussing an issue that both myself and mlbailey experienced, where on acceleration power drop off and a warning appeared on the screen to do what I described and the warning called it a reboot. Just reporting the facts.

We had the low tire pressure warning a few days ago, thankfully right as we turned onto the street where we live. We pulled into the driveway to see if we could tell where the issue was and immediately noticed one tire was low. Upon further inspection, we realized the tire was worn significantly on the inside of it, and that both rear tires were completely worn on the inside of the tire and apparently not properly alignned. The left rear tire had a leak and would not hold air. Because the wear on the tires was significant and one was flat, we could not drive the car so Tesla came to pick it up the next day. Coincidentally, we were scheduled for service a few days later for issues with the charger (it was defective when it was built we just found out).

It would apprear that the tires were not properly mounted from the time the car was built. We have about 11,000 miles on the car and received it in October 2012.

No word yet from the service center as to what happens or the status of the repairs. In the meantime, we have a Roadster loaner, which is not a bad thing. What a difference between the Roadster and the S though. The Roadster is a sexy car for sure, but a bumpier ride and no power steering! We are having fun with it, but also looking forward to the return of the S!

No word yet from the service center as to what happens or the status of the repairs. In the meantime, we have a Roadster loaner, which is not a bad thing. What a difference between the Roadster and the S though. The Roadster is a sexy car for sure, but a bumpier ride and no power steering! We are having fun with it, but also looking forward to the return of the S!

Which service center had the loaner for you? I got a Nissan Altima from Menlo Park earlier in the week, which was less interesting to compare and contrast with the Model S :)

To keep this post topical, I was in for a failed door handle and a few minor cosmetic issues (half of which they got to).

Which service center had the loaner for you? I got a Nissan Altima from Menlo Park earlier in the week, which was less interesting to compare and contrast with the Model S :)
Ours is there too. We had to raise a stink with them when we found out about the issue with the charger because we had been having issues with it since day one only to find out it was built without a second charger. So we requested the Roadster and they were able to come through even though we ended up bringing the car in before our appt once we had the tire issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
I took my S60 in for an alignment this week and mentioned that the AM/FM radio reception was quite poor. Although my service advisor warned me that the poor performance was probably "normal", she said she'd have the tech take a look.

It turns out that my "booster antenna" was damaged. They ordered a part from Fremont; it was delivered two days later and installed that day. Got to have some fun with a P85 in the meantime and now my AM/FM radio reception is great. Both the alignment and the antenna fix were covered under warranty.

I took my S60 in for an alignment this week and mentioned that the AM/FM radio reception was quite poor. Although my service advisor warned me that the poor performance was probably "normal", she said she'd have the tech take a look.

It turns out that my "booster antenna" was damaged. They ordered a part from Fremont; it was delivered two days later and installed that day. Got to have some fun with a P85 in the meantime and now my AM/FM radio reception is great. Both the alignment and the antenna fix were covered under warranty.

You've only had your car for a few weeks, right? It already needed an alignment? That's a little disconcerting.

You've only had your car for a few weeks, right? It already needed an alignment? That's a little disconcerting.

It's actually fairly normal for all cars. Alignment is easily messed up during transport because the tires and suspension are subject to stresses they are not designed to take. Two of the last three cars I've purchased required alignment after delivery (unfortunately, dealer prep doesn't include alignment--only an "is the steering wheel straight" check).

That doesn't make sense to me. First, I've never encountered an allignment issue on a new vehicle, and second, I don't see how a car on a transporter is subject to any unusual forces, in fact I'd think the opposite, since it's riding on the truck suspension as well, another buffer between the car and the road.

That doesn't make sense to me. First, I've never encountered an allignment issue on a new vehicle, and second, I don't see how a car on a transporter is subject to any unusual forces, in fact I'd think the opposite, since it's riding on the truck suspension as well, another buffer between the car and the road.

It's common, in most cars most people won't notice subtle alignment issues. With Prius it was quite evident bc people were not getting expected MPG and when we had them check were frequently out of alignment.

It's common, in most cars most people won't notice subtle alignment issues. With Prius it was quite evident bc people were not getting expected MPG and when we had them check were frequently out of alignment.

+1

My Prius required an immediate alignment after I picked up the vehicle at the dealership. Priuses were notorious for needing alignments after delivery due to the shipping process. I'm not sure what causes the alignment issues during shipping, but apparently it was a rather well known issue in 2007 when I bought mine.

+1

My Prius required an immediate alignment after I picked up the vehicle at the dealership. Priuses were notorious for needing alignments after delivery due to the shipping process. I'm not sure what causes the alignment issues during shipping, but apparently it was a rather well known issue in 2007 when I bought mine.
The Prius was notorious, but I believe it was because the MPG differences were so noticable. A 10% belown EPA MPG on a 20MPG vehicle is hardly noticable. A 10% MPG difference on a Prius is quite noticable, and people complained and thus the issue was found. Ignorance is bliss, but it doesn't mean the problem isn't present equally on other vehicles.

The Prius was notorious, but I believe it was because the MPG differences were so noticable. A 10% belown EPA MPG on a 20MPG vehicle is hardly noticable. A 10% MPG difference on a Prius is quite noticable, and people complained and thus the issue was found. Ignorance is bliss, but it doesn't mean the problem isn't present equally on other vehicles.
I think it's more of an issue with production tolerances. The factory basically makes a best effort to get the alignment within range during assembly, but they never actually put the car on a rack to confirm alignment settings after the car is fully built - it takes too long. The vast majority of the time this is OK, but some cars obviously get through out-of-spec.

You would think that they could simply scan the car while it's rolling down some part of the line to confirm alignment and tag cars for re-alignment automatically if they get through out of spec, though.

I think Drees has the more likely explanation, sloppy production tolerances. It could also be that the setup at the factory on a brand new and possibly stiffer suspension may be a bit off after the suspension is cycled a bit and loosens up, either after transport or driving.

While washing my Model S at the local "touchless" self-service car wash, a piece of plastic on the roof departed the car. I was using the high pressure wand to soap the car, and the plastic cover for the roof rack attach point flipped up and broke off. It appears that the two plastic arms on the cover are not very robust and when the cover flipped open, they immediately broke and the piece detached. Anyone else seen this, and how did you handle it?

I have attached a few pictures: the broken part, the place where the part came from, and the rear cover, still attached but flipped to the up position.
20130817_142317.jpg
20130817_142245.jpg
20130817_140225.jpg
20130817_140235.jpg

I've found service to be pretty good about these things. When you take the car in just add it to the SO and they should fix it for you. I would recommend not mentioning the power washer since the owners manual states the car should be hand washed. It broke of sometime while I was driving, is what I'd say.

Ouch. when that piece of plastic breaks, the entire piece that it is attached to has to be replaced.

There is a market for a screw in replacement if some enterprising soul were to market it.

Do you have some experience with this you can share? Is it user replaceable?

No personal experience, but the guy at the Dallas service center warned me about this. Definitely not user replaceable. He said to be careful when washing/drying the car because if these pieces come off then the fix is a pain. The whole plastic piece does have to be replaced, but it runs the length of the roof and is glued down. They have to rip the whole piece off, sand it down, and glue and screw it back in. Takes a while he said and a big job. Sorry.