Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is possible the 12V battery died, and the dealer ignored the warning.

To see if this is the case, put a multimeter in the 12V socket. Anything less than 12 v will not allow the car to power up.

If there is low voltage, jump the car with the posts in back of the nose cone. There is a procedure for this in the self help section of the Tesla site.

It is also possible you have the problem I did, bad contactors, HVIL fault, or faulty DCDC converter. The first problem WILL be covered by battery warranty.

I don't have a multimeter but I have ordered one, should come in a few days.
In the mean time I did hook up the battery to a battery maintainer and let that charge overnight and now when I get in the car the screen on the dash comes on but not the large screen in the center, it says to book it in for a service and is showing charging complete at 0 miles.
When I try to plug the charger in it wont accept it, the only way I can get it in is by holding the release down in the boot while pushing the charger in and when it does click and lock in the light next to the port is red instead of green, it does eventually switch to green but does seem to charge the car at all. And I can't see how the car would have discharged all that energy over just a few days, it was fully charge and had 160 miles on it, so think it may just be the dash showing wrong. I have booked a service but that's not gonna be until 20th of July.

I don't have a multimeter but I have ordered one, should come in a few days.
In the mean time I did hook up the battery to a battery maintainer and let that charge overnight and now when I get in the car the screen on the dash comes on but not the large screen in the center, it says to book it in for a service and is showing charging complete at 0 miles.
When I try to plug the charger in it wont accept it, the only way I can get it in is by holding the release down in the boot while pushing the charger in and when it does click and lock in the light next to the port is red instead of green, it does eventually switch to green but does seem to charge the car at all. And I can't see how the car would have discharged all that energy over just a few days, it was fully charge and had 160 miles on it, so think it may just be the dash showing wrong. I have booked a service but that's not gonna be until 20th of July.
There is more you can do, but it sounds like a 12v problem to me. Charge until you see 14.0 to 14.2 V and try to start the car again.

Another OUTSTANDING Portland SC experience. Since the SC is 6 hours away, I save up my warranty issues for several months before scheduling, so I’ll usually have numerous items to address.

This time was peeling chrome on both side mirrors, floor mat anchor velcro torn loose, bubbles on center MCU, leaking sun roof with subsequent water stains down both A pillars, & loose lug nut caps.

Dropped the car off on a Wed and was given a clean MS to drive home. By the following morning got a notice that all was done. Came back the following Monday (no hassles at keeping the loaner for several days). When picking up the car, noted that the A pillars had been cleaned but could still see slight ghost image of the stains and requested the interior trim be replaced. They said they couldn’t see them but immediately agreed to replace. They scheduled a Mobile Tech for that,

Tech showed up at house a week later and replaced in less than hour.

We have always had Great service at Portland SC and wanted to recognize this.

Another OUTSTANDING Portland SC experience. Since the SC is 6 hours away, I save up my warranty issues for several months before scheduling, so I’ll usually have numerous items to address.

This time was peeling chrome on both side mirrors, floor mat anchor velcro torn loose, bubbles on center MCU, leaking sun roof with subsequent water stains down both A pillars, & loose lug nut caps.

Dropped the car off on a Wed and was given a clean MS to drive home. By the following morning got a notice that all was done. Came back the following Monday (no hassles at keeping the loaner for several days). When picking up the car, noted that the A pillars had been cleaned but could still see slight ghost image of the stains and requested the interior trim be replaced. They said they couldn’t see them but immediately agreed to replace. They scheduled a Mobile Tech for that,

Tech showed up at house a week later and replaced in less than hour.

We have always had Great service at Portland SC and wanted to recognize this.

Would you recommend even if it was 12hrs? Not having that good an experience in LA...

Hi, I have a 2016 MS and received two errors today.

bms_u008 : Acceleration and top speed reduced. Performance may be restored on next drive

bms_w172_sw_drive_iso : Vehicle may not restart. Service required.

I turn the car off and restart and get the same errors. Worst part is the next service appointment is weeks out and need a car. Has anyone experienced these errors before? Any help is appreciated. Good thing is I have the extended warranty.

sounds like your HV battery pack might be failing! Call service today and see what they say, happened like this to a friend and service remotely diagnosed failing battery, had the car flat bedded to service center, provided a loaner, and replaced the pack under warranty.

Has anyone else had dash display reboots while driving on newer Model S's?

I did our first long drive in our 2020 MSP on Monday (500+ miles). During the drive, the dash display rebooted 4-5 times while driving. First time freaked me out pretty good. After the trip, I did some research and it seems to happen to other people also but is this a pretty common thing? I was running navigation, XM radio, and running a better route planner on my web browser. When I got here I shut the power down on the car and also did the 2-scroll wheel MCU reboot to clear up any memory leaks. We'll see how the drive back on Saturday goes.

Thanks for your input.

-craigger.