Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The gateway manages communications between the Ethernet and CAN networks.It has a SD memory card, which we have seen rare failures of. It is not the eMMC.
My mcu works perfectly. It is only unable to update to last version. The update firmware is well downloaded, when I launch the update process, the progress bar doesn't move overnight. It stays hanged at the begenning of the process

Anyone having weird issue with Auto Handle Present as of 2020.24.6.9? Before as I approached within a meter or so, it would present the handles. Now sometimes I stand up right beside it and nothing. Press the drive side handle and nothing. Reach in to tap the fob and its like a delayed opening.

Annoying click - sounds like coming from the front left. Wasn’t sure where to post this.

This is on a 1 month old 2020 model S.

Couple different vantage points on this sound.... any thoughts on the cause would be greatly appreciated. I’ve probably done a net 6-8 hours of reading over the last 3 weeks looking for something exactly similar.

Streamable Video

Streamable Video

Streamable Video
Sounds like it could be pebble in your brake caliper.

Not sure whether I should post here or create a new thread. Either way, I hope someone can help me figure out what I'm hearing.

It started about a week ago where at lower speeds (especially 20-40mph) I'd hear the noise I'd normally hear at highway speeds (65mph+). I know that's not terribly descriptive but it comes from the front area, and isn't road noise, and I don't have dual motor. The best way I can describe the issue is as if I were driving an ICE, and I'm in too low a gear for the speed I'm at. Incidentally this sort of matches how I initially described the noise but it's really a coincidence because the highway speed hum or whine is a Tesla type noise. I've only driven it 3 times since and it's now sounding less like the Tesla noise as its pitch has lowered. I've probably just lost everyone with that paragraph. Haha! Sorry...

Performance appears to be normal, and the electric whine of the motor is sounding normal and is independent of this odd noise. I still hear it when regen braking on big hills though it's quieter. I don't think I hear it at parking lot speeds. It's most obvious in the 20-40 mph range. As I near highway speeds, road noise obscures it so I can't tell if it's really there or if it morphed. I calculated the energy performance, and there does not appear to be any changes with the onset of this noise.

This happened very suddenly. The only change is I had a s/w update a week prior to the noise starting. I can't think of what the issue could be except maybe something with the axle as I would be shocked the update would do this. I've got a 2013.

Thanks for reading this wordy post. I'd appreciate any ideas or suggestions!

Can you please help me diagnose a new noise coming from the front of my 2012 P85?
It usually kicks in after driving for half an hour or so. I can hear it even when the car is not moving and the A/C is off.

Dropbox - Noise.mov - Simplify your life

Sounds like the climate control is cooling the batteries, or a pump circulating fluids. The cooling and heating of batteries will happen whether or not you turn off the interior HVAC system even if the car is idle.

Hi All
I have a 2018 75D mod s i have three lamps on the dash that i am unable to reset ABS and Brake lamp and Tyre pressure.
I have done a hard reset, but nothing works. the car is now out of warranty its only done 3897 miles any ideas before i pay for a service call.

Thanks
Mark

Hi, since 3 months, I have a firmware update that has been correctly downloded, but when I whish to install it, the installation progress hangs at the beginning. The SC can't do anything because my emmc has been changed. Does anyone know what happen? It seems to be a mcu gateway issue.

It's a full-sized (not micro) SD card just needs to be FAT32 formatted. I think the one Tesla put in is 4 or 8 GB? You need to remove the CID and disassemble it to get to the gateway SD card slot.

I couldn’t find any pictures online, so here’s a few from a 1.5mcu:

8B26963A-D184-47BD-9792-991E2CF40DAE.jpeg 94A2FF68-79B3-4F72-9404-6797D361316F.jpeg

I removed the board to show the sd slot, but you should be able to access it through the slot in the cover without actually taking the MCU apart.

Last edited:
Having an issue with my 2015 P85D . The air suspension in the back is losing air when it sits overnight. Are there any common failure points that I should look for. Out of warranty. thanks in advance.

Pull frunk, check the plastic tubes running from the comrpessor. They commonly rub up against poorly-secured wires and eventually they wear through and leak. Can be fixed with some epoxy.

Not sure if that would apply to your situation, but it only takes 10 minutes to look so why not.

• Love
Reactions: davidc18