Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Transport Canada (2020 - 0975) just notified me that they concluded their investigation as follows:

"We have determined that a failure of the rear lower control arm on the Model S is not detrimental to the safe operation of the vehicle and will be deactivating our file."

Recall that Tesla Service Bulletin SB-19-31-001 "Replace Lower Rear Control Arm Assemblies" for Model S vehicles built Jun 1 2013 - Jan 31 2014 (mine was built in March 2013) described exactly what happened to my lower rear control arm. It no longer held the wheel in place (vertical to ground). That Service Bulletin stated that it addresses a known non-safety-related condition in which on certain Model S vehicles, either lower rear control arm might crack, causing excessive negative camber of the rear suspension.

Apparently, Transport Canada agrees with Tesla that excessive negative camber of the rear suspension resulting in the passenger side rear tire tilting into the wheel well such that the tire will no longer rotate is not detrimental to the safe operation of the vehicle.
Rear Wheel camber.jpg
IMG_20200602_162251.jpg

Transport Canada (2020 - 0975) just notified me that they concluded their investigation as follows:

"We have determined that a failure of the rear lower control arm on the Model S is not detrimental to the safe operation of the vehicle and will be deactivating our file." ..............

View attachment 602574 View attachment 602575
Looks like a catastrophic failure to me. How fast were you driving when it happened ?

I think that would depend upon the speed of the Tesla at time of failure. I think it is only a matter of time before your theory is put to a test involving another Tesla that experiences the same failure mine did.

That isn't my theory that is what Transport Canada, and I believe NHTSA, have said after their investigations. (Transport Canada said they even did testing.)

The following posts appeared on October 30, 2020 in Rear lower control arm failed - Page 2:

"pogonov_586147Posted October 30

• 2013 Model S delivered last week in 2013. Backing out of the garage and the
    wheel goes wobbly. Rear lower control arm failed. At a closer look the cast metal
    have pits in it. Clear manufacturing defect. Car at the Henrietta NY service center. Hoping Tesla will handle this well as I am a huge Tesla fan.

• pogonov_586147Posted October 30

• Tesla is denying the defect. Just got a bill for $1400.00 Apparently it is a recall in Canada and in Europe. Not sure as the Tesla Model S was all made in California, USA.

• pogonov_586147Posted October 30
  • This is what I did to get the car on a flatbed without causing further damage.
  • Jack the up the car and remove the wheel. You will see that the lower control
  • arm is broken off. I used a ratchet strap to pull the lower unit back into the remaining
    section of the control arm to keep the wheel straight. When the car is on the flat bed I would put a support under the car during transport. The strap broke in transit so the tow truck driver had to
    pull off the road. Car was jacked up and wheel removed. When we got to the Tesla
    service center we put a new strap on to be able to move the car off the tow truck.
    As I see lots of issues with the front upper control arm as well I will replace this to prevent
    any catastrophic failure while on the road as well. If I had known about this defect I could have fixed. There will be a lot of damages like this as it appear to happen around 70 000 miles. I urge all Tesla owners to contact the TESLA main office in CA as this could potentially be very dangerous if it happens while driving. I was lucky as it happened pulling out of my garage. Still a TESLA fan but slightly disappointed."

As you may know from my earlier posts on this thread, I did file a formal complaint regarding this same event, which you have described as a "clear manufacturing defect", with Transport Canada. TC, I understand, is similar to NHTSA in regard to automobile safety. Transport Canada (2020 - 0975) recently notified me that they concluded their investigation as follows:

"We have determined that a failure of the rear lower control arm on the Model S is not detrimental to the safe operation of the vehicle and will be deactivating our file" and added "No reports of loss of control. And testing verified this."

To: pogonov_586147
In addition to urging "all Tesla owners to contact the TESLA main office in CA as this could potentially be very dangerous if it happens while driving", have you personally referred your experience to NHTSA?

When driving in my 2015 P90D I sometimes hear a ticking sound from the rear seat area. I recall reading something about a bolt ticking against the panorama roof. Could this be it? How do I recognize the issue and how easy is it to fix? I tried looking for the issue but can’t locate the right post.

Last edited:
So I broke the drivers side mirror on my 2015 P85D. Tesla wants ~$700 to fix so I think I'll try it on my own. Looking at ebay it looks like they go for $2-300 for a used mirror. There are a few different part numbers, with this format: 1041317-00-? where ? varies from mirror to mirror (B, C, D, E, F). Any ideas? Worst case scenario I'll peel the door open and see what mine is, but if I can avoid doing that until I have the replacement part in hand, that would be nice. Tia!

Tesla parts catalog lists 1041317-00-G for my car (drivers side mirror), must be the latest part version. Opened up the door on my P85D, mines a 1041317-00-A. So back to the question of interchangeability... A lot of 1041317-00-F's on ebay, one G and a few A's. Anyone with experience on what is interchangeable?

IMG_4144 (002).jpg
Ok, check my logic: The mirror I am looking at (bought) on ebay had decent pictures, including a picture of the main plug. So I opened up my door, took a picture of my plug and compared the occupied pins. The picture on top is my (broken) mirror, below is ebay. The ebay mirror has all of the same occupied pins, plus some mine doesn't. So I am feeling pretty good that the ebay will work for me. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_4144 (002).jpg
    IMG_4144 (002).jpg
    393.9 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Reactions: KalJoMoS
2021 Model S LR with 1100 miles on it. Walked out this morning to load car for road trip and it will not drive. First clue is it wouldn’t open the trunk. Then the charger port was red (it does have a full charge to 80% (we plugged it in last night after a short trip and it was charging correctly). Get in the car and the steering wheel is locked, the screens are black if the door is closed (appear normal when door is open). Won’t recognize key. Won’t turn on. Just says “car off” with all the alerts listed in the photo.

talked to roadsde assistance and we tried a screen reset, a power reset. No change. Tow truck enrouge, but wondering if we did something wrong or if this is something obvious and a known issue. Thanks guys!

Attachments

• 6D7B2A77-31EA-408D-83E0-A62B5C5F6246.jpeg
    6D7B2A77-31EA-408D-83E0-A62B5C5F6246.jpeg
    663.8 KB · Views: 149
  • 2B7A492C-3660-40C4-85B6-DA7B89B17C2D.jpeg
    2B7A492C-3660-40C4-85B6-DA7B89B17C2D.jpeg
    377.2 KB · Views: 107