Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe any time a circuit is broken, the associated relay will act thusly - so causing the flasher to act double-quick. So - just a guess now - if it is an LED bulb, perhaps it has unseated itself?

Well, this morning when I got in my car the rear door handle suddenly works again. I hate gremlins!

I show my car quite a bit (Coffee and Cars, etc.) and while I try to monitor what people do, occasionally they do stuff they shouldn't. One of those was attempting to shove in the door handle quite hard without waiting, and it became dislodged. I thought I was going to need a new handle as it didn't work the rest of the day, but apparently the car detects this condition and when I got into the car the next the morning, it had reseated itself and has worked fine to this day. Perhaps your issue was something similar. I'd really like to know if this is the car telling Fremont "hey, my door handle is broken" and someone there logging in to reset it, or if the car itself runs some housecleaning overnight, notices issues, and runs some resolution protocols itself. If I ever get access to a Tesla firmware guy, this will be one of my first questions.

I've had people do that too, but never so hard that it's dislodged. Mostly they want to know how it goes back in. When you're standing by the car, the handle has to be pushed to open so if they see you push to open it's natural for them to think that pushing it again will close it.

Had my tesla for 2 whole days and enjoying every minute <3 - few minor issues to report
1. passenger door has a delay and is slightly awkward to open - other doors don't have this issue
2. Favorites always appear blank in the browser - but tapping the top of the list opens the favorite (favs are invisible!)
3. Drivers side auto-folding mirror sometimes does not fold out when approaching the vehicle
4. Sleep mode is annoying for remote apps - I feel as tho it shouldn't sleep when plugged in - manually doing this for now.

Otherwise, an amazing vehicle and grinning every day :D

1. passenger door has a delay and is slightly awkward to open - other doors don't have this issue

The passenger side has always responded slower than the driver's side. I don't know why this is, however, I haven't found it awkward to open.

2. Favorites always appear blank in the browser - but tapping the top of the list opens the favorite (favs are invisible!)

Try a reboot (press and hold both scroll wheels).

3. Drivers side auto-folding mirror sometimes does not fold out when approaching the vehicle

Don't have that, but the reboot might help there as well.

4. Sleep mode is annoying for remote apps - I feel as tho it shouldn't sleep when plugged in - manually doing this for now.

The big complaint previous to sleep mode was the amount of power used whether plugged in or not. I don't find that it takes that long to wake up.

If rebooting doesn't help, contact ownership.

I had all 4 handles replaced on my car with the newer style... probably the same as on your new car. My driver's door now has a slight delay compared to the others and sometimes I have to release and re-pull the handle to activate the solenoid and open the door.

After doing some work on my car and replacing my charge port a new problem was introduced. When i now close the charge port door, I hear the magnetic latch but somehow the car thinks that the door is still open (at least it does so most of the time, not consistently). I am able to operate the car but the dash shows the error message. The door is clearly closed and latched. The only way to get rid of the message is to apply some pressure with my hand on the charge port door and that usually fixes it but then, when driving or perhaps later in the day I get into the car and the message will pop back up (and again, the only way to get rid of it is to get out of the car and push on the charge port door). Tesla seem a little puzzled as to why this is happening and are looking into it but has anyone else had this behavior? A close charge port door that "thinks" it is open?

After doing some work on my car and replacing my charge port a new problem was introduced. When i now close the charge port door, I hear the magnetic latch but somehow the car thinks that the door is still open (at least it does so most of the time, not consistently). I am able to operate the car but the dash shows the error message. The door is clearly closed and latched. The only way to get rid of the message is to apply some pressure with my hand on the charge port door and that usually fixes it but then, when driving or perhaps later in the day I get into the car and the message will pop back up (and again, the only way to get rid of it is to get out of the car and push on the charge port door). Tesla seem a little puzzled as to why this is happening and are looking into it but has anyone else had this behavior? A close charge port door that "thinks" it is open?

I had a related issue that may help:

The round magentic disk in the charge-port door is attached to the plastic interior of the door via a little foam adhesive pad. It allows the metal disk to "float" a little bit, thus when the door is closed, the magnetism pulls the disk tight against the "latch" on the port.

I believe this is important because the disk not only holds the spring-loaded port door closed, but it also completes the circuit in the port latch (you'll notice two concentric circles on the round port latch, I believe those are the circuit contacts.)

In my case, the adhesive on foam pad failed, and the magnetic disc fell out of the port door. As a temp solution I glued it back in, but when the glue hardened, it prevented the disk from sitting squarely against the latch, and although the door held closed, that car thought the port was still open.

I'd suspect you have some alignment issues with your recent replacement that are causing a similar situation...

I had a related issue that may help:

The round magentic disk in the charge-port door is attached to the plastic interior of the door via a little foam adhesive pad. It allows the metal disk to "float" a little bit, thus when the door is closed, the magnetism pulls the disk tight against the "latch" on the port.

I believe this is important because the disk not only holds the spring-loaded port door closed, but it also completes the circuit in the port latch (you'll notice two concentric circles on the round port latch, I believe those are the circuit contacts.)

In my case, the adhesive on foam pad failed, and the magnetic disc fell out of the port door. As a temp solution I glued it back in, but when the glue hardened, it prevented the disk from sitting squarely against the latch, and although the door held closed, that car thought the port was still open.

I'd suspect you have some alignment issues with your recent replacement that are causing a similar situation...

Thanks I will have a look

Odd Re-Boot Experience

I was on my way from Toronto to Niagara Falls for a conference when my 3G connection started to flake out again. For some reason, I'll still have lots of bars, but the 3G symbol goes away and maps, Slacker etc. stop working. This seems to be about a monthly occurrence.

My usual fix is to re-boot the 17' screen, so I go ahead and press the two scroll wheel buttons. The screen goes dark as expected but... nothing. It just stays dark. After about 10 minutes or so, I'm thinking "this can't be good" and suddenly the dash goes dark too. So now I'm driving along in a totally dark cabin. I think the ambient lights went out too. The car was still driving normally. After another 5 minutes or so, the dash suddenly comes back on. It doesn't "re-boot" and I don't see the Tesla "T"... it just comes back on. A minute or so later, I get the Tesla "T" on the 17" and it re-boots and comes back to life. Finally, after 15 or 20 minutes, everything is back to normal. Never had anything like that before!

As a brand new Tesla owner, hoped to share a better experience.
I had my model S delivered on 25th of november in Brussels. After exactly one kilometer of slow motion driving, I pushed the accelerator pedal to feel the 600 Nm torque. The cardan (connecting bar between wheel and power train) came out of the power train. A metal ring was moulded in the gearbox of the powertrain. Until now I'm still waiting for a repaired/new car with a complete new motor and powertrain.

so far for the first impression!