Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also, another question. If I were to take it apart and find liquid while my car is under warranty... Will tesla do anything or are they refusing until catastrophic failure? Not sure if you know this question, but figured it's worth a shot. I got 6 more months left on my 2013.

Next time I get a chance, I'll try to make a video. We don't have a Model S in our shop at the moment, but maybe I can at least demonstrate how to remove the cover on my 70D for you (it wont have the Large Drive Unit or the same speed sensor, but the splash shield removal should be pretty much exactly same).
I don't know if Tesla will do a warranty repair or not if you find liquid, but it would definitely be worth at least getting in touch with the to see. Has your drive unit ever been replaced? And how many miles do you have? Especially on earlier cars, drive units had a problem with the bearings wearing out, and making noise, if your motor is noisy, they will definitely replace it under warranty.

Reactions: Newscutter
Next time I get a chance, I'll try to make a video. We don't have a Model S in our shop at the moment, but maybe I can at least demonstrate how to remove the cover on my 70D for you (it wont have the Large Drive Unit or the same speed sensor, but the splash shield removal should be pretty much exactly same).
I don't know if Tesla will do a warranty repair or not if you find liquid, but it would definitely be worth at least getting in touch with the to see. Has your drive unit ever been replaced? And how many miles do you have? Especially on earlier cars, drive units had a problem with the bearings wearing out, and making noise, if your motor is noisy, they will definitely replace it under warranty.
It has, from the info you provided it - I think its one likely to be possibly affected? Replaced Jan 2016 with 25k miles - currently has ~82k. No noise currently.

Do you have a Facebook page that your shop posts on? Many of us would enjoy seeing the different issues you find and address.

Do you have a Facebook page that your shop posts on? Many of us would enjoy seeing the different issues you find and address.
Our shop's Facebook page is QC Charge. There's not a whole lot of posting on there, but my boss does occasionally post some stuff. Some of the posts you might see there are also related to the charging equipment side of our business.

Our shop's Facebook page is QC Charge. There's not a whole lot of posting on there, but my boss does occasionally post some stuff. Some of the posts you might see there are also related to the charging equipment side of our business.

Does your shop have a YouTube page? I think you'd find that lucrative as more and more older cars go out of warranty... just saying, worth the effort IMO and unlikely to affect bottom line adversely since most of us just want to see what is involved and then quickly NOPE out of there and pay someone better qualified for complicated rebuilds.

Reactions: JRP3
Does your shop have a YouTube page? I think you'd find that lucrative as more and more older cars go out of warranty... just saying, worth the effort IMO and unlikely to affect bottom line adversely since most of us just want to see what is involved and then quickly NOPE out of there and pay someone better qualified for complicated rebuilds.
quick check on their FB yes, they do have a youtube channel :D

Yep, we do in fact have a Youtube page (as @doubleshot pointed out already). I actually just changed the URL so it's not just totally generic (see new URL below).
We actually just filmed a video on how to check the Model S speed sensor today. Hopefully I should have it all edited and uploaded sometime tomorrow. So far, we do have videos on how to check the speed sensors on the Mercedes B-Class ED/B250e and Toyota RAV4 EV (which are both powered by pretty much the same LDU that is used in the RWD and Performance Model S/X).

Just uploaded a how-to video to our shop's YouTube channel for those of you who want to check your speed sensor yourselves. If you are local to Southern California, you can also bring your car into our shop and we will check your speed sensor for free (just make sure to call ahead so that we can make sure to have a lift open).

Excellent how-to video!
I'll have to explore this at some point... But I don't know if I even WANT to know if I have a problem.

I have great skepticism that even if I found coolant on the sensor and told the service center there was a failed seal, that they'd do anything to address it. More likely, they'd insist that unless the unit has completely failed and/or thrown an error, they won't replace/evaluate it for warranty claim.

So even if I find a problem, I'm then stuck rolling the dice between it failing under warranty (I have a year left) or paying out of pocket to have it rebuilt-- of which there is no one in my part of the country doing that kind of work--- and I'd be voiding the warranty coverage that remains.

Which then puts me back at being annoyed that drive unit and/or battery swap costs are still so expensive. When I purchased 7 years ago it was my (faulty?) assumption that since either can be replaced in about an hour and have intrinsic core value, that a complete failure outside of all warranty would eventually be a relatively cheap and quick repair that could be commonly obtained. And here we are... With $22k batteries and $5-15k (?) drive unit replacements. <sigh>

Reactions: hpartsch
great video! from which year does the drive unit is definitively reliable? My DU on my P85+ has been replaced twice, last time in 2019
I'd say that your drive unit from 2019 "should" be pretty reliable. So far, I have heard good things about the newest revision Q drive units (which started either sometime in 2019, or maybe late 2018), though I haven't opened one up myself... Still, I would recommend checking the speed sensor at least once a year just to be safe. If you end up with an issue out of warranty, you want to catch it before it causes catastrophic damage, as the drive unit is much cheaper to rebuild than it is to replace.

Excellent how-to video!
I'll have to explore this at some point... But I don't know if I even WANT to know if I have a problem.

I have great skepticism that even if I found coolant on the sensor and told the service center there was a failed seal, that they'd do anything to address it. More likely, they'd insist that unless the unit has completely failed and/or thrown an error, they won't replace/evaluate it for warranty claim.

So even if I find a problem, I'm then stuck rolling the dice between it failing under warranty (I have a year left) or paying out of pocket to have it rebuilt-- of which there is no one in my part of the country doing that kind of work--- and I'd be voiding the warranty coverage that remains.

Which then puts me back at being annoyed that drive unit and/or battery swap costs are still so expensive. When I purchased 7 years ago it was my (faulty?) assumption that since either can be replaced in about an hour and have intrinsic core value, that a complete failure outside of all warranty would eventually be a relatively cheap and quick repair that could be commonly obtained. And here we are... With $22k batteries and $5-15k (?) drive unit replacements. <sigh>
You're probably right on the note of the service center not taking the issue seriously (in fact, I've heard as much from at least one person who did find coolant leakage and got in touch with their service center). I'd say its definitely worth a shot though, as it would be better to try and fail than to not try at all... BTW, technically, based on the Moss-Magnussen warranty act, Tesla cannot void warranty coverage just because you repaired the car yourself (or had a 3rd party shop do it for you). If your drive unit failed after being rebuilt, they might be able to void coverage for the drive unit itself, but legally they cannot do that without proving that prior repairs done caused the failure (any they certainly can't do it for any other components that are unaffected by the repairs done).

If your coolant seal is leaking without you knowing, it can certainly cause irreversible, catastrophic damage to the drive unit (not to mention potentially leave you stranded somewhere) if not caught in time. That includes: motor seizing, inverter short circuit/failure, bearing failure, etc. If you can catch a coolant leak before it completely destroys the drive unit, then it can be rebuilt for much cheaper than it can be replaced. In the case of our shop, a drive unit rebuild with new/upgraded bearings and seals costs $4,000. Unfortunately a "destroyed" drive unit doesn't have much of any core value...

We typically do 2-3 drive unit rebuilds here at our shop every week, and by the way, we get cars shipped here from not only all over the country, but all over the world. In fact, we have cars here right now from Louisiana and Washington, plus another one that should be arriving soon from Connecticut. Wherever you are may seem far away, but cars get shipped cross country all the time, and it's probably not as expensive as you may think.

Thought I'd share this unique issue we ran into yesterday on a Large Drive Unit (LDU) that we have never seen before...

For those that have followed my past posts, as well as the work of others online, you'll know that there is a common issue of coolant leaking into the motor via the rotor coolant seal on the LDUs. In this case, the coolant seal held up fine, no leaks there, but for the first time ever, we saw oil from the gearbox get into the motor and inverter. Luckily the gearbox fluid is non-conductive, so it didn't cause any irreparable harm.

20210419_162953.jpg

20210419_163005.jpg

20210419_163020.jpg

20210419_165025.jpg

20210419_170329.jpg

20210419_170334.jpg

On way that I'd deal with a scenario of:
- Car under warranty
- Ive noticed a leak/Independent Tech noticed a leak
- Notified Tesla in writing (ticket) of the leak and Tesla opts to not proactively address
- Months later post-warranty, drive unit fails due to..leak and costs are being assigned to you

Id make 100% sure I documented the leak. Pics, videos, etc and saved them. With dates, times, etc.

With other cars (non tesla) years ago, whenever I had noted an issue thoroughly documented with the dealership, and they "couldnt reproduce" at that time? And that same issue came back after warranty and that part then had failed? I found ways to ensure that either the dealership paid out of warranty via "good will", or were required to reimburse (my out of pocket costs I had to pay a third party to fix) via court order after case was filed/evidence provided.

Detailed documentation can be VERY powerful.