Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey TMC, maybe you all can help me, since the North Houston Service Center has failed to.
So, extremely similar to hpartsch, my 2017 CPO Model S is making that same creak/squeak sound. It apparently does this when the brakes are applied, either manually, or with AutoHold. Mine also makes a very clear grinding noise when turning the wheel close to it's max. I also get squaking when stopping, either forward or backward. Not the brakes, but when the car itself comes to a complete stops.

I just took delivery CPO direct from Tesla at 39k miles a couple months ago, so I'm still well under warranty... original and extended...

However, after taking it to the Service Center twice with that squeal as a noted issue, they've written it off as "rusty brakes". Speaking in person, I was told that the humidity was causing more rust than normal.... even though my brakes look to be perfectly shiny. It was not until recently, from built up frustration, that I found online that this looks to be a ball joint or suspension issue. I took this to the Service Center, provided the exact video below, and they came back and told me that was "normal". They say that the brakes rub when you turn the wheel, creating this extremely loud squeal and grind. When I asked why my luxury Tesla does this and not any other brand of car I was told "We can only state the facts" (literally all they said), and was asked if they could cancel my appointment.

So now I'm asking other Model S owners.... does the video below sound anything close to "normal" to you? This is the only Tesla I've owned, so maybe these cars just sound this terrible. It's embarrassing to even drive this thing in many situations.

Sidenote: Is there any way to "escalate" service issues?

Not normal, and no way to escalate. Take it to a good brake shop. Then, depending on what they say, try a different SvC.

Has the steering wheel SB been done?

Definitely a ball joint from a front control
Hey TMC, maybe you all can help me, since the North Houston Service Center has failed to.
So, extremely similar to hpartsch, my 2017 CPO Model S is making that same creak/squeak sound. It apparently does this when the brakes are applied, either manually, or with AutoHold. Mine also makes a very clear grinding noise when turning the wheel close to it's max. I also get squaking when stopping, either forward or backward. Not the brakes, but when the car itself comes to a complete stops.

I just took delivery CPO direct from Tesla at 39k miles a couple months ago, so I'm still well under warranty... original and extended...

However, after taking it to the Service Center twice with that squeal as a noted issue, they've written it off as "rusty brakes". Speaking in person, I was told that the humidity was causing more rust than normal.... even though my brakes look to be perfectly shiny. It was not until recently, from built up frustration, that I found online that this looks to be a ball joint or suspension issue. I took this to the Service Center, provided the exact video below, and they came back and told me that was "normal". They say that the brakes rub when you turn the wheel, creating this extremely loud squeal and grind. When I asked why my luxury Tesla does this and not any other brand of car I was told "We can only state the facts" (literally all they said), and was asked if they could cancel my appointment.

So now I'm asking other Model S owners.... does the video below sound anything close to "normal" to you? This is the only Tesla I've owned, so maybe these cars just sound this terrible. It's embarrassing to even drive this thing in many situations.

Sidenote: Is there any way to "escalate" service issues?

Hi, so my service appt is July 7th. I'll let you know what they find out. Curious if you have 19 or 21 inch wheels. I've had loaners with 21 inch wheels and they do rub and honestly make bad sounds when turning fully.

Is yours making noise when driving and lowish speeds 0-35 and making turns? That's when it sounds like my car is falling apart.

I agree, our sounds do sound very similar. I think mine might be a bit worse, but it's been doing it about 2 weeks now and seems to have gotten worse. But if you do have 21s and it's only when full turning - that might be the norm.

In regards to escalation, very difficult now a days. Was much easier a few years ago. Might want to go to service center and request to speak to manager if warranted.

Last edited:
The mandatory NHTSB recall for the steering gear. Applies to old MS...
Not sure if this is it? But I had this done in 2018. Wondering if the steering rack will need replaced and this fix was not effective. We will see.

Corrections: Replace Bolts In Steering Rack Housing And Apply Wax Sealant (LHD Dual Motor) Replaced steering bolts with updates parts Part Quantity STEEL BOLTS FOR BOSCH STEERING GEAR (Set of 5) (1460671-00-A)

Last edited:
Hi, so my service appt is July 7th. I'll let you know what they find out. Curious if you have 19 or 21 inch wheels. I've had loaners with 21 inch wheels and they do rub and honestly make bad sounds when turning fully.

Is yours making noise when driving and lowish speeds 0-35 and making turns? That's when it sounds like my car is falling apart.

I agree, our sounds do sound very similar. I think mine might be a bit worse, but it's been doing it about 2 weeks now and seems to have gotten worse. But if you do have 21s and it's only when full turning - that might be the norm.
In regards to escalation, very difficult now a days. Was much easier a few years ago. Might want to go to service center and request to speak to manager if warranted.
Awesome, appreciate it, man. Right now mine is not til the 16th.

And I absolutely do have 21s. Most worrisome though is mine isn't just squealing (as egregious as it is), it's also making a clear grinding noise.

I will say though mine calms down when I'm moving. It makes those noises mostly when I'm still or moving slowly, below 5mph or so. So basically *everytime* I'm parking the thing, you'd know from down the block. Lol

And yea, I've seen some escalation paths in the forums, but they don't seem to be active anymore.

Reactions: hpartsch
Yea I'm not sure. I believe there's a way to find out via my VIN. Going to check.

I just got the car a couple months ago though, so I would *assume* they installed any existing recalls..... But seeing how Tesla operates it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't.
Tesla likely will not share with you any past repairs. Heck, they don't even seem to know of the repair hx for the current owner and sometimes need to be reminded via invoices numbers ;)...

I have a 2015 S85, 110K miles. If my memory serves me, I’ve had 6 flats. Does that seem to be a lot for the amount of time I’ve owned my Tesla? It sure seems like it to me. I’ve used Michelin tires all this time. I’m thinking about using a less expensive brand next time. On my last flat, the tire was not repairable because there were already two patches. I got a Goodyear to replace the bad tire. And I might use Goodyear for the rest of the tires later on. Has anybody else changed brands for their tires?

Are you getting flats for no known reason? I’ve never had a flat where I didn’t find a nail or some other object embedded in my tire. Although I’ve never had low profile tires before.
It is always a nail or a screw in one of the rear tires. It makes me wonder if Michelins are more prone to flats than other brands - probably because of the tread pattern. They’re expensive tires. A friend of mine with an S90 says he buys the cheapest tires on the rack. I think it is time for me to do the same. I was just wondering if anybody else was experiencing a high flat tire rate with their Michelins.

I get more miles from Michelins, sometimes almost double. I do NOT drive where there a lots of nails on the road, or screws or broken glass, so I don't have many flats. I had a flat on my last Model S (100K+ miles), none on this one (20K miles). I don't think its the tire but where you drive.
Houston is a big industrial city with lots of nails and screws on the roads because of our trucks. But I’ve noticed my Tesla seems to get more flat tires than any other vehicle I’ve owned. After my 6th flat, I think I’ll try a cheaper tire brand. If I am going to continue getting flat tires, it might as well be with cheaper tires. Thanks for your feedback.

Houston is a big industrial city with lots of nails and screws on the roads because of our trucks. But I’ve noticed my Tesla seems to get more flat tires than any other vehicle I’ve owned. After my 6th flat, I think I’ll try a cheaper tire brand. If I am going to continue getting flat tires, it might as well be with cheaper tires. Thanks for your feedback.
Do you have discount tires? Get your tires from there with the warranty. Any non-repairable tire they replace for free.

Tesla-approved tires carry a T0 designation and have a band of foam material on the inner circumference. I recently bought a set of Model X Slipstreams (20") for my 2014 Model S and bought Ohtsu FP8000 tires, which are around $125 each and not Tesla-blessed. Trying it out. So far so good.

I used to have an unusual number of flats with my previous daily -- a Volt. And then my troublesome neighbor moved away and... no flats since.

Do you have discount tires? Get your tires from there with the warranty. Any non-repairable tire they replace for free.
Yes I do have Discount Tires. And 3 times I got a tire replacement instead of tire repair because they said the tire was not repairable. I always get the $35 warranty certificates. So with that “free” replacement, I buy the warranty for the next tire. On my last flat, I exited the freeway and I just so happened be right next to a Chevrolet dealership. After I found a safe place to park I looked at my right rear tire and immediately saw a screw in the tire. I figured I could use my tire repair kit and air pump. I removed the screw and plugged it. When I pumped air in the tire, there was a leak from another hole that had no nail or screw in it. It was just the hole by itself which was weird. So I said to heck with it and let the Chevy service take care of it. They said tire not repairable because I already had two plugs in the tire plus that 3rd hole. They gave me a choice of tires and the Goodyear was half the price of the Michelin. Instead of going through the process of calling Tesla road service to get a spare wheel-tire, might as well just take care of the flat tire issue then and there. I know Tesla authorizes Michelin, but after 120K miles, I think it is time to experiment with another brand.

Reactions: hpartsch
Tesla-approved tires carry a T0 designation and have a band of foam material on the inner circumference. I recently bought a set of Model X Slipstreams (20") for my 2014 Model S and bought Ohtsu FP8000 tires, which are around $125 each and not Tesla-blessed. Trying it out. So far so good.

I used to have an unusual number of flats with my previous daily -- a Volt. And then my troublesome neighbor moved away and... no flats since.
Thanks for letting me know you are trying tires that aren’t “Tesla-blessed.”

Reactions: techweenie
Awesome, appreciate it, man. Right now mine is not til the 16th.

And I absolutely do have 21s. Most worrisome though is mine isn't just squealing (as egregious as it is), it's also making a clear grinding noise.

I will say though mine calms down when I'm moving. It makes those noises mostly when I'm still or moving slowly, below 5mph or so. So basically *everytime* I'm parking the thing, you'd know from down the block. Lol

And yea, I've seen some escalation paths in the forums, but they don't seem to be active anymore.
My model s makes this same sound 2017. Oddly enough it started in Houston also when I drove down. I figured it was from all the rain. Seems to have gotten better once I am back in Austin.

Did the SC find and resolve your issue?

I've had those tires on a bunch of different cars over the years. It might be my favourite tires of all time. Performance and noise seemed very good. But tire life is UNREAL.

Reactions: techweenie