Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm the guy with the bad corrosion; they had to replace my carrier. As I recall, the service bulletin originally only called for changing the washers. But my service center told me that the bolts had also been modified, and they put the modified bolts in my car regardless of what the bulletin said. It's possible that they have subsequently changed the service bulletin to include the bolts.

I think he's referring to this? (Just had my tires rotated and balanced and they applied these TSBs while they had the wheels off)

g1AaoaH.jpg

I was told by my Service Center that Tesla's policy is that after the first free tire rotation that tire rotations at time of 12,000 mile service on prepaid service plans are free but interim tire rotations will cost $75. Anyone else hearing something different?

Yep. I was told its free if you've ever paid for service at any point. Aka first ones free (because you hit 6k miles before the first 12k service). Then at 12k either you have the prepaid plan or you pay individually for the 12k service. You get rotated then too. Then at your next tire rotation, they look to see if you have ever had service before. If you have the prepaid plan obviously it doesn't matter. I don't have this plan. But if you don't have this plan, they look to see if you've ever paid for service. They could see that I paid for service once and thus rotated and balanced my tires again for free.

My situation is slightly different though. First, I don't have the prepaid plan. At 6k miles I brought mine in for tire rotation and my p85 emblem and spoiler mounted. Then , I brought my car in at 23k miles for "first service" where I paid for that individually )$670 including taxes). They rotated then too. Last, now I am at 36k miles and I brought it in again for tire rotation the other day and that was free.

So basically I don't stick to be 6k tire rotation interval, and I also don't stick to the 12k service interval. I've brought mine in 3 times, twice for just tire rotation and once for service (which included a third tire rotation). I'll probably bring mine in again around 49k miles for my "second" service. I do keep and eye on my tires and measure them weekly though. I personally don't feel like I am getting $600 worth during that service BUT I will admit they do a bunch of warranty / TSB things every time. So while "wiper blades and key fob battery" might not be worth $600 (because seriously there is like zero maintenance to this car), the rest of everything else they do is worth it. Under warranty or not, I've never seen a car manufacturer do so many things on their dime before. They do go overboard I think trying to make everyone happy. I think that's where the value of $600 is. Plus we are constantly getting "free" software updates and new features.

Well looks like Tesla couldn't reproduce my audio problems, they said for me to continue to narrow it down and see if I can find when and what is happening... Starting to make me regret the Studio Sound package.

They did upgrade the firmware so I guess we will see what happens on the drive home.

So I have finally decided to report a curious issue with the GPS/navigation to service. Every few minutes or so the directional arrow on the google map display starts spinning, doing a full 360 before it goes back to normal. That 'dance of the arrow' also causes the route to be recalculated when using turn-by-turn. Can be quite annoying especially at slower speeds. Will report back what they came up with.

So I have finally decided to report a curious issue with the GPS/navigation to service. Every few minutes or so the directional arrow on the google map display starts spinning, doing a full 360 before it goes back to normal. That 'dance of the arrow' also causes the route to be recalculated when using turn-by-turn. Can be quite annoying especially at slower speeds. Will report back what they came up with.

Devil's Triangle?

Hi,

I have got an issues with my windshield wipers.
The part that is attached to the car frame suddenly broke when I was on the highway and with huge rain.
It stopped right on the middle off the windshield and also damaged a bit the paint.

Please note that this on the driver side...

It happens Friday afternoon a Tesla Ranger is planned to correct this issue this Monday!! Great service.

See the pictures :

photo-1.jpg
photo-2.jpg

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    387.4 KB · Views: 807
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    280.2 KB · Views: 796
Last edited:
Had been getting a consistent 'Hummmm' at around 55mph from the car, pretty much since delivery in Oct 2013. It was linked the the accelerator petal. I had heard others had the same issue and decided to wait until the new Service Center opened up on my way to work. Once they opened up they said they would give me a call once they had a 60kWh drive unit available. Just took it in this morning, now that they have the Drive unit, and they are replacing the original noisy one. Please note that this is just a low consistent Hum/growl, not the high pitched 'balloon noise' sound under hard accel, I was getting that too, so it will be interesting to see if I still have any noise under hard acceleration with the new drive unit. Once I get the car back hopefully I can get answers to the following;

-Is this just something loose in the inverter that creates extra noise when switching? or is it something mechanical in the bearings, gearing, etc.?
-I thought there was a common drive unit between the 60's and the non-performance 85's? the fact that they said they had to wait for a 60 specific drive unit seems to contradict that, or maybe it's just a firmware thing and they just had to get one with the right program pre loaded?

Had been getting a consistent 'Hummmm' at around 55mph from the car, pretty much since delivery in Oct 2013. It was linked the the accelerator petal. I had heard others had the same issue and decided to wait until the new Service Center opened up on my way to work. Once they opened up they said they would give me a call once they had a 60kWh drive unit available. Just took it in this morning, now that they have the Drive unit, and they are replacing the original noisy one. Please note that this is just a low consistent Hum/growl, not the high pitched 'balloon noise' sound under hard accel, I was getting that too, so it will be interesting to see if I still have any noise under hard acceleration with the new drive unit. Once I get the car back hopefully I can get answers to the following;

-Is this just something loose in the inverter that creates extra noise when switching? or is it something mechanical in the bearings, gearing, etc.?
-I thought there was a common drive unit between the 60's and the non-performance 85's? the fact that they said they had to wait for a 60 specific drive unit seems to contradict that, or maybe it's just a firmware thing and they just had to get one with the right program pre loaded?

sigh. i keep reading posts from ppl getting the consistent 'hummmm' (aka low hum - not high pitch whine), but when I was in last week for tire rotation and minor warranty work they told me this low hum was "normal" and refused to replace it. It's pretty annoying...

Hi,

I have got an issues with my windshield wipers.
The part that is attached to the car frame suddenly broke when I was on the highway and with huge rain.
It stopped right on the middle off the windshield and also damaged a bit the paint.

Please note that this on the driver side...

It happens Friday afternoon a Tesla Ranger is planned to correct this issue this Monday!! Great service.

That would be horrible service where I live. At this time of year, I can't drive more than a mile without wipers and washers due to all the road salt and slushy conditions. That would put me out of business for 3 days at least, and I would have likely needed a tow from the point of failure.

sigh. i keep reading posts from ppl getting the consistent 'hummmm' (aka low hum - not high pitch whine), but when I was in last week for tire rotation and minor warranty work they told me this low hum was "normal" and refused to replace it. It's pretty annoying...

I feel your pain, and I was merely asking for them to listen to the sound and decide for themselves if it was "normal" or not. No expectations going in on them replacing it or not. I could have lived with the noise if they had decided not to replace, but I got excellent service as always.

Couple things to note from my conversations with the service team:
- they said the noise was coming from a bad bearing, which I think is a little odd since the noise was linked to the go pedal. It's not like there is a clutch or anything else that would disengage any rotating parts when power isn't being applied. So either it's a bearing and the combination of a certain speed range and the added vibration of being under power hits just the right frequency or the techs at my service center don't really know what it is. My original theory that it had something to do with the inverter switching doesn't hold a lot of water either since then it would be linked to a certain power level output (like the high pitched noise is/was), not speed.
- according to the techs, Originally these kinds of problems got recorded locally and then the recordings got sent back to engineering to decide if there was something wrong with the drive unit. Recently however the decision making authority has been left to the local techs. In other words its a judgement call on their part and may vary by service center.
- forgot to ask about the drive unit commonality between 60's and the non-performance 85's, but I'm assuming it's just that that level of firmware programming can't be done at a service center.

Also I had my UMC replaced because it was having problems connecting to the car consistently. It looks like I got the newer version that I've seen a few pictures of around here. You can tell the difference between the new and the old by looking at the charge handle. Old has a charge door button that has a gap all the way around, New has a gap only on three sides.

Anyone having issues with the car forgetting the radio presets? Happens on FM/XM. Typically its the one you were listening to before turning the car back on. Sometimes it can be more than one preset. Sometimes comes back after turning the car on/off. Other times, it's gone forever. Weird.