Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A little over a week with my 2022 SLR.
Both front doors do not close "easy" and often do not fully close. Need to add a little force to fully close them, makes sense as I have read door misalignment is common. Annoying, thats all.
Service coming next week to address issue.
I put clear, cheap, dielectric silicone grease in all door latches to help with these kind of problems. I've noticed the S front door handles take a bit more force than the ones on my Audi or Prius did, and a little grease helped a ton.

Hoping someone can help with this. I started having some random issues with the right door handles this week where they present themselves randomly while the car in in park.

Today I sat in the car (drivers seat) with YouTube running and saw that the right door handles (both passenger and rear) kept going in and out randomly. They were in sync initially but then they started to alternate.

Super strange behavior. Anyone have this issue?

Hoping someone can help with this. I started having some random issues with the right door handles this week where they present themselves randomly while the car in in park.

Today I sat in the car (drivers seat) with YouTube running and saw that the right door handles (both passenger and rear) kept going in and out randomly. They were in sync initially but then they started to alternate.

Super strange behavior. Anyone have this issue?
Sounds like a wiring issue.

what is the latest consensus on a Model S (2017) approaching 100,000 miles. I want to buy a used one, but am I going towards the edge of a cliff in terms of maintenance, warranty, wear tear issues?

This is a grail purchase for me, and I was initially attracted because of the supposed higher reliability of an EV. The stick with that is I've seen reports of early model S (2013 era, close to 200k odometer) are now approaching the age/mileage where the battery becomes imbalanced and requires a hefty repair, not unlike replacing the engine on a gas car.

Is there a mileage limit just like gas cars? In that case, I won't be paying $50k for a car that only has half its life left.

Really appreciate the advice. I'm sorry I didn't read through the whole thread.

what is the latest consensus on a Model S (2017) approaching 100,000 miles. I want to buy a used one, but am I going towards the edge of a cliff in terms of maintenance, warranty, wear tear issues?

This is a grail purchase for me, and I was initially attracted because of the supposed higher reliability of an EV. The stick with that is I've seen reports of early model S (2013 era, close to 200k odometer) are now approaching the age/mileage where the battery becomes imbalanced and requires a hefty repair, not unlike replacing the engine on a gas car.

Is there a mileage limit just like gas cars? In that case, I won't be paying $50k for a car that only has half its life left.

Really appreciate the advice. I'm sorry I didn't read through the whole thread.
I have a 2016 (refresh) S90D with over 150,000 miles on the odometer. Despite two incidents which may have caused some battery cooling problems and about 70% of charging done on superchargers, I am only down about 7% from my original numbers. By 2017 I think they had solved the door handle problem (I had one replaced under warranty). The eyebrow light (DRL) remains a sore spot but otherwise I have had no issues. Had them check suspension and bushings, etc and all looked good. Still have about 75% of the original brake pads remaining. The back cargo area is cavernous with the seats down and the S has doubled as a pick-em-up truck. I'd like to think if you've found a one owner CA car it's probably a gem.

I have a 2016 (refresh) S90D with over 150,000 miles on the odometer. Despite two incidents which may have caused some battery cooling problems and about 70% of charging done on superchargers, I am only down about 7% from my original numbers. By 2017 I think they had solved the door handle problem (I had one replaced under warranty). The eyebrow light (DRL) remains a sore spot but otherwise I have had no issues. Had them check suspension and bushings, etc and all looked good. Still have about 75% of the original brake pads remaining. The back cargo area is cavernous with the seats down and the S has doubled as a pick-em-up truck. I'd like to think if you've found a one owner CA car it's probably a gem.
Thank you for the data point. The battery degradation is expected and not an issue. I was more concerned with battery faults like this or this. That issue is the equivalent to an ICE car needing an engine replacement. It seems like this is a real barrier to an EV lasting longer than an ICE car.

Why not buy a new Model 3 for that kind of money?
This Model S (100D 2017 90k miles) has FSD. A Model 3 with FSD would be more money still.

That I don't know. Does it have the internal camera?
I hear loads of reports of 10.11.2 being able to drive totally without intervention, but my 2018 Model S, with all the hardware upgrades currently available, and no driver-facing camera, really struggles with a lot of common scenarios. I could never let it just drive totally by itself because it would inevitable panic and hand control back.

I don't know for certain what the exact specs difference is between a fully upgraded "legacy" car, and a modern plaid or 3/Y, but there's definitely a difference in how well the system performs. Not totally ragging on it, it's still like watching magic happen every single time.

• Informative
Reactions: JRP3
I can anyone is interested or sees a same issue

That is freaky!

I have two door problems:
1 - My front right door handle would stick open, when all others close, and then randomly snap back. At first I did not know what the issue was. I thought something hit my car, until I saw it happen in the garage. The SC "fixed" the issue by moving the handle down. Only problem is they moved it too far down, now it pops open because it hooks on the door metal. It does it 100% of the time. You think they would have tested their "fix"???
2 - This is worse, my back right door opens by itself! Happened three times since I got the car. SC can't repro so they claim they can't fix. Did not bother to do an inspection to make sure latch is correctly seated etc. It only seems to happen when I open/close the trunk. Now every time I need to check to make sure the door did not open before walking away!!

Have a mobile apt now to fix the front door handle issue. They also asked me to file a service request next time my back door opens itself, so they can check the logs. Not sure if they think they will see a "open door API request" in the logs. I am sure it is mechanical and they won't be able to fix until they do a thorough inspection.

Those are just the door issues, had a long list of other issues with my new car. Some I fixed myself, other the SC took care of.

On an extended drive in warm weather, my 2018 Model S had several instances when the AC cooling stopped for a minute. Vent kept blowing but it started getting warm. One time might have been in stop and go with a construction delay. Another might have been with low charge below 20%. Another with no reason.

It might also be that it’s not blowing very cold as I kept turning down the temp to cooler than my normal preference.

Need coolant recharge?

On an extended drive in warm weather, my 2018 Model S had several instances when the AC cooling stopped for a minute. Vent kept blowing but it started getting warm. One time might have been in stop and go with a construction delay. Another might have been with low charge below 20%. Another with no reason.

It might also be that it’s not blowing very cold as I kept turning down the temp to cooler than my normal preference.

Need coolant recharge?
I occasionally experience this as well on my 2018 MS. Usually on hot days when I am cruising on the freeway. I assumed it was the cooling demand on the battery that was prioritized over the cabin.

• Informative
Reactions: Irvine and Plood
Is anybody else having the problem I am having with my MSLR (refresh). The autopilot disengages for no apparent reason (there are no vehicles nearby, no tunnels, nor am I driving towards direct sunlight...) at highway speed, and doesn't go back to the set speed. It either slows down or re-engages to a lower cruising speed. Tesla technician (remote) told me that it is due to the feedback from other Tesla driven through (fleet speed!) where my car's autopilot disengaged.