Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would keep the WD40 away from the handles, it’s way to abrasive for the sensors and connectors inside. You can find much better protective liquids out here that are more suitable for it. Like @Hank42 have suggested I would look to use silicone based formulas.
Yeah, I actually ended up trying a spray from Prolong that I already had. It worked immediately! We'll see how long it lasts.

Yeah, I actually ended up trying a spray from Prolong that I already had. It worked immediately! We'll see how long it lasts.
Temperature will affect things too - when its cold, the metal will contract and there will be more friction. My one handle never made a noise in the summer, but when it got cold out, I'd hear it - the lube helped until the spring where I could get in there and fix it properly.

3) Smaller issue: The dealership I bought from had to replace a faulty door handle module. It works, but it squeaks.
Does anyone have this issue?
Are you aware of a simple fix? Can I spray some WD40 around it?
WD-40 is a solvent not a lubricant no matter what their marketing says.

Having said that, sometimes a solvent is the right thing for plastic on plastic squeaking.

Finding more DIYers jumping into older MS ownership with past confidence to maintain German cars > 100k miles cost effectively. I know this profile well as I am one :) Having owned my MS85 since 2013 and fully 2 year past the warranty honeymoon. Starting to put together a website as a directory to organize key info links. Most of it points back to posts in this forum. Its not meant to be fully complete. Just trying to hit the big points for now.

Also like to avoid all the emotions that comes with Tesla's mission statement. just trying to find effective ways to DIY and maintain this car past warranty which is a challenging task. I myself have a love and hate relationship with this car. Drives like a dream and crazy awesome. But battling some crazy expensive poor design areas and basically anti-support from Tesla makes for lots of curse words.

Hopefully the community finds this useful. After initial easier DIY like MCU1 bubbles/LTE upgrades. Now up to LDU rebuild and car disabling HV faults. But probably unlikely to be able to tackle battery pack issues other than trying to convincing the few with solutions to franchise in my #3 or #4 early MS market region :)

Guys,

I got a 2015 Model S 70D on 2022.8.10.6 (MCU1). I don't see the lock option on the screen. There's no option to turn on walk-away lock or auto-presenting handles. Is this normal or a software glitch? I need to use the keyfob to both unlock and lock the car every time.

It may not have the Technology Package option. Homelink, self dimming mirrors, power hatch lift, and navigation were also part of that package.

This is what I see on the website:

Specs​

Autopilot Hardware
Override: No Homelink
Premium Upgrades Package
Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive
Deep Blue Metallic (PPSB)
Body Color Roof
No Spoiler
70D
19"
Free Unlimited Supercharging
-----

Were not all Model S's present with auto-presenting handles and walk away doors? I thought every car had it, maybe I was wrong.

It has navigation? (I think? On the screen? Unless it's something different). It has auto-folding mirrors, power hatch lift also - assuming that means power trunk basically. The trunk is automatic.

I'm trying to figure out if this is a software glitch or normal.

Were not all Model S's present with auto-presenting handles and walk away doors? I thought every car had it, maybe I was wrong.

Depends on when your car was built. The "tech package" options started to become standard equipment in 2015. Prior to that, the tech package was comprised of the following features:

Turn-by-Turn navigation Maps with free updates for 7 years
Automatic keyless entry / door handles pop out when approaching the vehicle
Rearview camera in HD
Illuminated door handles
Front Xenon light
LED front bend lighting
Front fog lights
power tailgate
Automatic dimming mirrors
Automatic, heated side mirrors
GPS-controlled Homelink function (garage door opening)
Seats, mirrors and driver profile with memory function
Chrome element on the rear bumper

Your car may have some, all, or none of these features :)

Reactions: N4HHE
Guys,

I got a 2015 Model S 70D on 2022.8.10.6 (MCU1). I don't see the lock option on the screen. There's no option to turn on walk-away lock or auto-presenting handles. Is this normal or a software glitch? I need to use the keyfob to both unlock and lock the car every time.
Seems like these options don't really have much of a standard.
I have your same model and software, yet I have all of these options, except power liftgate. But I have everything else. Weird.

I have a 2013 Model S and sometimes after it sits for a few days I have to reboot the center screen, this morning it took about 10 minutes after I reboot for the screens to appear. Everything is working but at the bottom of the small screen it says Center display unavailable driving and user settings could not be restored. Should I reboot again.

I have a 2013 Model S and sometimes after it sits for a few days I have to reboot the center screen, this morning it took about 10 minutes after I reboot for the screens to appear. Everything is working but at the bottom of the small screen it says Center display unavailable driving and user settings could not be restored. Should I reboot again.
It's ten years old. Model S

Had the exact same issue on my 2013 P85. Replaced the MCU (both screens plus new computer) and all is well. If you plan on keeping the car it’s probably time to get that done. Cost was $1700.00 (I opted not to have Radio tuner). Good news is it works better than it ever has. For the first time I can use the maps in Satellite mode. It’s really responsive now.