Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S temperature sensor location

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
Recently, the outside temperature display on my dash is getting crazy, going from -35 to + 30 every second.
I found in this thread that a Hyundai 30$ sensor will do the trick :

Anybody changed that in the past on a MS P100D 2017+ with facelift ? Do I need to remove the front bumper ?
I took an appointment at Tesla but 400$ and 3 weeks of waiting.... I would like to do it myself if possible....

Thanks !

Dany

I haven’t myself yet been looking for the temp. sensor but suspect it’s inside one of the rearview mirrors, not under front facia. There is online Tesla catalog where you can search (with your Tesla login data) needed parts and compare it to the indicated Hyundai sensor.

Based on the behavior I've seen with mine, I would expect the sensor to be located in the nose cone or near the bumper as the temperature reading is definitely impacted by the battery cooling system when supercharging. If the sensor were in the mirrors, there would be no effect while supper charging.

Reactions: ucmndd
I just had mine replaced by the service center. It was covered by my extended warranty but cost $200 for deductible. But the important bit: This sensor failure caused my A/C to act weird. The compressor would shutoff when I hit 60mph. I'm not kidding. So, don't ignore that wonky ambient temperature sensor malfunction! 2017 Model S 90D. The failure was due to a frayed wire in the wiring harness (causing a short, I guess).

• Informative
Reactions: hybridbear
On the refresh cars it's under the front fascia
Screen Shot 2022-06-20 at 6.18.47 PM.png

Reactions: Welbach1