Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Test Drive Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On March 5th, I took my family to test drive the Model S hoping to learn more about electric cars and decide on getting the Model 3 when it is finally launched.

We have a Prius, Accord, and a Scion xB pushing nearly 300,000 miles. The Prius can last a few more years and the Accord is 2 years old. The timing of the Model 3 aligns quite well for the Prius, but the xB is about to go and we need a new vehicle now.

We went into the test drive thinking we would learn about Tesla and patiently wait for the Model 3. Wow... Maybe we are impatient, but the experience completely changed our view of cars.

As we watched the Model S 90D approach outside the mall, I really felt the presence of the design. I think the car is beautiful from every angle, especially the front. Driving away was probably the most strange feeling I had in a car; silence with the slight wining of the electric motors.

I also noticed how smooth the handling is on the Model S. The S handled corners effortlessly with barely any body roll. As we made a left turn into a back road, our Tesla Advisor told me to do a complete stop. I was nervous because we had a mustang tailgating us. She told me to stop and floor it. I saw a line of traffic building up, and heard many people honking. I floored it and saw the trees in front of me blur, and the Mustang vanish in the rear view mirror. This was just a 90D!

We made our way back to the highway and was told to activate autopilot. I pulled the cruise stock twice and the Model S drove by itself for a few minutes. This was probably the most exciting part of driving a Tesla other than launching a 90 and P90D. I could not believe the Model S navigated the curves on the highway smoothly while reacting to cars switching lanes and speed. I noticed traffic slowing and asked to disengage autopilot. The car slowed by itself to a complete stop and followed traffic as we picked up speed.

The rest of my family tested the 90D and were shocked by its performance, handling, and autopilot.

Did I mention we planned on buying a new Honda Civic to replace the Scion xB? Well, that's not happening. Instead, we placed an order for the Model S the next day. We do not want to wait for the Model 3. Of course we plan on purchasing a Model 3 eventually.

To conclude, we went into a test drive looking to learn more about Tesla to help decide on a Model 3, and ended up placing an order for the Model S.

How was your test drive?

Reactions: MabreyM
Yep, Model S should come with an addiction warning. I wanted a Model X, but decided to test drive a Model S. Tried to buy the car I test drove, but it turned out someone from the other coast just bought it while I was driving it. So I ordered one instead. It worked out well - I'm on my second one now (got bored of waiting for the Model X).