TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S Test Vehicle in Santa Cruz

Discussion in 'Model S' started by wiztecy, May 19, 2012.

1. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

#1 wiztecy, May 19, 2012
    Last edited: May 19, 2012
    Model S Test Vehicle Spotted in Santa Cruz

So I was doing the weekend night drive with my wife with the Roadster and were returning out of Felton from eating pizza at Redwood pizza (which has some of the best pizza )when I decided to do a drive downtown in Santa Cruz before cruising back home. Coming into town I saw these wild headlights in my rearview that' I've never seen except on the Model - S... In particular the distinctive fog lights so I had to confirm. I pulled aside and looked over and yes it was the Model S. I then followed him around a bit and talked to him in a parking lot. It was the Performance package Model S. WOW that is one sexy car! Its a test vehicle doing its run from Palo Alto.

What a job ;)

Looking forward in seeing more of these cars on the road really soon!

Also not seeing any emblems, markings, and no exhaust pipes was a clear sign. The manufactures plate made sense... Looks like all the test vehicles are numbered on the side windows as well.

I snapped a pic when I let him pass.

IMG_5053.JPG

2. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

If they gave you a ride in it, they would probably tell you not to talk about it... :wink:

3. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

#3 wiztecy, May 19, 2012
    Last edited: May 20, 2012
    No doubt... I work on cutting edge technology with consumer products as well and gave him the respect of not asking questions other than if it was the Performance model. One thing for sure it looks like the permagrin smile carries over to the Model - S as well too when driving. He had a huge one for sure!

4. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

5. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

It doesn't seem to have the performance spoiler. How come you asked (if you did)? ;)

6. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Might be my screen, but it's hard to tell. Is that the white or silver?

7. Zorba

Zorba Member

My guess is silver.

8. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Could it be white, just looks off due to the white balance? Anyway, awesome find. They really are getting close to coming out.

9. Kipernicus

Kipernicus Model S Res#P1440

Nice find! It's great that you were in your roadster - I bet he wouldn't have stopped to talk to anyone else.

10. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

Yes, it was silver and had the 21" gun metal performance wheels. I was asking about the three battery tiers including the 85kWH and that's when he said that was the performance - S he was driving. I agree, if I pulled up in a Lexus I don't think he would have rolled down his window at all :)

11. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

The night shot of the S looks great!!! I'm surprised that the Model S does not have LED tag light but I don't care...that's an easy change.

12. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

It looked even better in person! He was at the red light in the pic making a left with his signal on, that's why the right taillight is brighter than the left. The license plate light is interesting, wonder why they chose 2 over the one light. A single in the center would light the plate. Must be one size fits all for the long euro plates.

13. roblab

roblab Active Member

The rear hatch latch is in the center. Lights on either side.

14. joefee

joefee Over 2 Million TMC page views

Great shot! That would be the 2nd Perf S then, 1st was Pearl White with CF trim.

Any plate in the front?