Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S ... the key packaging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Depends on one's notion of what constitutes riff-raff. If one put a deposit on a Roadster in 2007, but didn't sign up for the Model S Signature series because of pre-announced lack of preferred options, is one considered riff-raff?

Then, said one, would be rewarded by being on the roadster friends and family list no? They'd get their car earlier. Anywho, this is off-topic, but a topic that might warrant some discussion (treatment of the different "tiers" of reservation holders). If there is more discussion to be had on this, I'll split it to another thread.

Depends on one's notion of what constitutes riff-raff. If one put a deposit on a Roadster in 2007, but didn't sign up for the Model S Signature series because of pre-announced lack of preferred options, is one considered riff-raff?

Of course, I was joking with gg_ ; but it's been said elsewhere that Sig Series has to have some benefits.

On topic: I don't need some expensive box that will be tossed in the garbage. I'd just as soon receive my keys in recycled cardboard.

I don't need some expensive box that will be tossed in the garbage. I'd just as soon receive my keys in recycled cardboard.

I'm willing to try out the fancy packaging. It works for Apple, and if I had to guess they're trying to emulate that experience, or the experience of buying a really expensive watch where the box and packaging are part of the whole cache and experience of ownership. I could see, if it's nice enough, holding onto the box and then bequeathing it to the next owner (OK, not me because I'll never sell it, but others might!).

Ummm, if there are 20,000 of them they won't be a collectors item.
Assuming that the box comes either with the car's VIN or the OP's name engraved it will. Most of the 20,000 will be either lost or damaged--even by those who intend to keep them over the next 35 years. (IIRC 35 years is about when a car starts becoming a collector's item).