Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - the next 3 Months?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given that Tesla doesn't do model years but does appear to do regular price increases (expecting one in July), I think it's worth some educated guesses as to what that increase might be (and where). For instance, the new shielding would seem to be an additional expense to each car regardless of pack size.

Also, for those of us who are still "in limbo" I'd be interested in what the community expects to be realistic and attainable features that could be added either prior to or as part of the next round of price changes.

Specifically I'm seeking speculation on non-software related things that might be coming from minor (like the woodgrain changing orientation, the seat springs, etc.) to major (like grey Cyclones, maybe cooled seats, etc.)

Let's hear it-- in your opinions, what is coming next?

Adaptive cruise
Blindspot monitoring
Performance seats with real lateral support (this one already announced by Elon)

And a bit of wishful thinking: An R/T (Road/Track) package that includes the seats and extra cooling that allows the car to be driven hard on a road course without overheating. I'm imagining powered louvers in the front/nose that open when needed and extra fans. It would also have less sound insulation to decrease weight and easily removable rear seats for more weight savings.

Does anyone have any indication that the sensors currently used for parking could (or could not) also be used as the "radars" for adaptive cruise or fixed-distance following? (I put radar in quotes because I'm not 100% sure they are technically radar transducers)

I think nothing much. Even if they make mods for China I doubt they'd go through any significa t process to release in USA.
I think with the Q2 ramp in cell production expected Tesla will have enough on its plate to get the suppliers lined up ready.
More than anything I'm hoping to see evidence of progress on this year's goals, especially the X.

Does anyone have any indication that the sensors currently used for parking could (or could not) also be used as the "radars" for adaptive cruise or fixed-distance following? (I put radar in quotes because I'm not 100% sure they are technically radar transducers)

Don't think that parking sensors can be used as radars for adaptive cruise. These are two completely different systems.

I for one am hoping for a price decrease. Not that i could afford one even if the price decreases, but I think its time the price goes in the other direction. A bulk of the cost of the car is batteries and if Elon is truly saying that battery costs are going down then we should start seeing that reflected in the retail price. I know Tesla wants that 25 percent gross margin, but for all practical purposes it has that today and there is no reason to be greedy and expect a 30-35 gross on the car.

Its time to slash the base price of the car and make up for it in the upgrades like Adaptive Cruise.

Its time to slash the base price of the car and make up for it in the upgrades like Adaptive Cruise.
Unfortunately I don't expect to see any price decrease for the car, I suspect we'll see more features for the same price instead. I also don't expect that their battery costs are decreasing much at all right now, but will significantly once the gigafactory comes online (2017... though with Tesla's record on schedules I'm guessing more like 2019)

Raffy.Roma said:
Don't think that parking sensors can be used as radars for adaptive cruise. These are two completely different systems.
That's my understanding as well, the parking sensors just don't have the range to detect a vehicle far enough ahead for a safe following distance at highway speeds.

Now from hints that Elon has dropped about self driving cars and such, I do expect them to try to get the appropriate hardware onboard as soon as possible though, even if it takes a while longer for the software. So I'm expecting "soon" (Again, Tesla timeline...) to see some form of front facing camera/radar/combination as well as the ability to control steering automatically (if that's not already possible somehow?)
I expect initially it will be used for just adaptive cruise control, then later a software update that also keeps the car in the same lane without your hands on the wheel, and then eventually adding in more and more of the self driving features as the software improves.

I for one am hoping for a price decrease. Not that i could afford one even if the price decreases, but I think its time the price goes in the other direction. A bulk of the cost of the car is batteries and if Elon is truly saying that battery costs are going down then we should start seeing that reflected in the retail price. I know Tesla wants that 25 percent gross margin, but for all practical purposes it has that today and there is no reason to be greedy and expect a 30-35 gross on the car.

Not going to happen in the foreseeable future. As mentioned, if battery technology improves and costs go down, you'll see an increase in maximum range and other new features (hardware and software) for the same price. And in terms of maintaining a high profit margin, that's what businesses do. They are beholden to their shareholders, and if there is demand for their cars at a 30%-35% profit margin, they're not going to drop the price and the profit margin "just because they can". If anything, they are fiduciarily responsible to the shareholders to MAXIMIZE profit and shareholder value, not reduce it.