Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Therapy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I live one town over from Newtown, CT. Our schools were locked down, and emotions were running very high. I know people who were murdered.

We had friends over last night, and among the hugging and crying and asking why, my son's best friend's dad decided to change the subject to my new (delivered Wednesday) Tesla, as he couldn't bare another detail, another news report, another interview with a scared child or crying parent.

The next thing I know we are doing test drives and rides in the Model S. We are backing it up to the end of my quiet cul-du-sac, and slamming on the accelerator until we get to the last driveway before the main road, at which time we let the regen kick in. We slow. We stop. We turn around. We do it again. We smiled. We laughed a little, and then a lot. We forgot, for a moment, the horror of our day.

I got an email this morning telling me how much he appreciated the distraction. He called it "Tesla Therapy." My brother called this morning as well, saying he needs a distraction, and after last night would love some more Tesla time.

So, not only is the car beautiful, efficient and more than a little fun, it gave us a respite from the heartbreaking news of the day.

Model S as therapy.

Thank you to everyone at Tesla that made this car possible. It was exactly what we needed last night. It gave us a glimpse of a better future, and a smile in the present.

+10

I thought your post was going to suggest just how unimportant our obsession for a car was compared to human life.

But it turned into an interesting "twist".

Candidly, though, if as a society we knew how to fix the cause of this ongoing mayhem, I would gladly donate the cost of my car to a charity that could fix it.

But we simply don't know how humanity ticks ... so we'll never have the answer.

For now, those of us fortunate enough to enjoy the products of Elon's drive (sorry), we can be thankful ... yet pray to our "relevant higher powers" for whatever comfort / heeling / solace the victims need.

I've given several more test drives over the last day. It really is a magical car. It just takes your mind off of things.

I think there is also the Tesla Owners Ankle Syndrome... What I am getting from fake braking as everyone takes my green beauty on spirited drives on the curvy roads of Weston and Redding, CT.

Dear Mike and CT Tesla Friends,

I am ready for TESLA THERAPY too, as my "S" arrives today Monday, Dec 17th; a sister to my Roadster, which most of my family cannot fit into! I empathize with everything Michael has shared on a heartbreaking rainy weekend in CT. We are only 10 miles from Newtown and have so many friends, also many company employees who live in Newtown. We are all struggling, with helping and doing the right thing. I feel bittersweet receiving this dream car today, in light of the disaster and sadness around us.

President Obama words -- and those of leaders in Newtown and Connecticut all say - "We must go on", and hope we find joy and peace in each others company -- in our communities, everywhere. I hope to meet you Mike and thank you for sharing your day on Saturday. I will look for you and hope to build our own new community of EV fans up here. We can and we will smile again.