TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S: There are more European options than there are US options

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by jak, May 20, 2013.

1. jak

jak Member

I notice there are a more options available in the European design site than the US design site:
    • Parking Sensors
    • Cold Weather package
    • Lighting package
    • Security package

The US does have a few things that the European design site does not have:

• Paint Armor
    • HPWC

Will this reach parity? And if so, anyone know when?

2. PopSmith

PopSmith Saving for a Model 3

While Tesla could (probably) add those to the U.S. cars at any point, it might not be until Model S 2.0. I would really like that Cold Weather package if I got a Model S but I would want heated mirrors with it, even if it bumps the (option) price up to €1.500/$2,000.

3. kseitzberg

kseitzberg Member

There is no reason for installing a HPWC in Europe as we have 3 phased power 400 volts. If installing a 32 AMP outlet this will deliver 22,4 kWh.

4. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I have a friend about to finalize in the US. Any idea on when these will be added for the US?

5. William13

William13 Member

@dsm363, my thought is Tesla past performance would indicate 2 or 3 months after Europe we will get the upgrades available on new cars here. Thus end of August or early September. No 3 phase though. ;)(

6. jak

jak Member

Past performance from??? Roadster?

I wonder what kind of cell radio will be used in the European models. 3G? 4G/LTE?

7. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

I would jump on that Cold Weather Package in a nanosecond. It would, in fact, be the very first option I would choose, if I could.

I know it's important for TM to possess a little focus on marketing to the central and southern California base, but - as evidenced by this extremely obvious package being available in Europe - there does remain a fraction of loyal consumers here in NoAm with priorties a little different from what is au courant in Sta. Barbara or Los Gatos..... I'm genuinely puzzled as to what the cost could be for TM to make this as an option in NoAm, and why they've chosen to omit it as a choice here.

8. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Once European production starts, I would think they could offer this in the US since they are all built in the same place.

9. Jack_L

Jack_L Member

My understanding (which could certainly be incorrect) is that they will be available about the same time. Since the European deliveries won't occur for some time, they are allowing those orders to include these options. In the US, where deliveries are now about 2 months or so, they can't take the orders for these options until mid/late summer since they won't be able to build the cars with them until late summer/fall. I know that there are several options that are important enough to me that I will wait until available, or just force myself to wait until the Model X I reserved is available. I just don't know if I can wait for the X where I only need to seat 4-5 at most. Just so darn used to AWD (live with snow) and SUV cargo capacity. Such a first world problem -- it's rather embarassing!

10. FarrarEV

FarrarEV Member

I'm in my 2 week design window with a requested delivery date of November. If these options become available in 4-6 weeks, think they can still be added?

11. AustinPowers

AustinPowers Total Smeghead

And Paint Armor is not really a thing that interests many people here, so no reason to add that either.

12. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Unless the North American car options have been revised, my car seems to have all of the items in the Euro "Lighting Package" already anyway. I think it came with the "Tech Package" when I ordered my car. There are 3 lights in my trunk (one on the hatch and two on either side of the trunk space), I have front and rear footwell lights and (something I wasn't aware of until I got down and looked) downward-facing lights on the bottoms of my doors (in addition to the handle lights).