Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - Thinking of Finally Ordering, though quick questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been a fan of the Model S since it came out but just did not have the need for the car. I had a down payment on the Model X - but recently reclaimed it as I had seen the X in person (@ private event in SF) and didn't like the look of the truck/car/whatever.

My questions around the Model S:
1. Is the the "+" worth the extra money? I have driven both, P85, P85+ on normal test drives but not long excursions. Is the "+" worth the extra bucks ?
2. Is a new Model S coming out with AWD anytime soon? If it's coming out in the next 90-120 days, I can certainly wait. Curious if anyone has heard anything as to timing? (I've already searched and couldn't find anything)
3. I assume to only purchase "new" with these cars... but I've been on the dealer inventory for used car lists for a few months and have seen some decent buys. Thoughts on new. vs. used?

Thanks in advance. I look forward to joining the family.

I've been a fan of the Model S since it came out but just did not have the need for the car. I had a down payment on the Model X - but recently reclaimed it as I had seen the X in person (@ private event in SF) and didn't like the look of the truck/car/whatever.

My questions around the Model S:
1. Is the the "+" worth the extra money? I have driven both, P85, P85+ on normal test drives but not long excursions. Is the "+" worth the extra bucks ?
2. Is a new Model S coming out with AWD anytime soon? If it's coming out in the next 90-120 days, I can certainly wait. Curious if anyone has heard anything as to timing? (I've already searched and couldn't find anything)
3. I assume to only purchase "new" with these cars... but I've been on the dealer inventory for used car lists for a few months and have seen some decent buys. Thoughts on new. vs. used?

Thanks in advance. I look forward to joining the family.

1. Purely emotional decision. The P isn't worth the money to me, much less the P+. However, they are a lot of fun:)
So how important is handling and performance to you is the question, not how important it is to me.

2. Less than a snowball's chance in hell IMO. Musk, and others in Tesla have been pretty adamant that an AWD Model S MIGHT be a possibility AFTER the Model X comes out which is 8-12 months out.

3. We bought our first one new and our second was a loaner with 400 miles on it. I would not buy 'used' from anyone but Tesla.
Both have been wonderful although the Loaner has had fewer issues than our signature. This doesn't surprise me simply because the car has gotten better as Tesla gained experience and their suppliers did as well.

I bought an Inventory car with 8000 miles on it in February. It's almost as good as "new" but for a lot less money.. or rather, I got a lot more car for less than the price I would have paid for a new, lesser equipped model. And Inventory cars are also eligible for the $7500 federal tax credit, whereas a third-party used car does not.

1. Is the the "+" worth the extra money?

Paging Dr. texex91, paging Dr. texex91. You are needed on the Ordering forum.

As for #3-- I stalked used Teslas all over and never found anything that was overwhelmingly better than a new order. Many of the inventory cars have unusual configurations and/or are so highly equipped (with stuff I didn't want/need) that even after depreciation formula was applied they were not a compelling buy over new. A few people have scored good deals though-- so make a wish list and become friendly with someone at Tesla with access to the fleet list... you might get lucky!

Personally, I think the + is the suspension that the performance Model S should have been designed with from the start. I love our S but my biggest regret is not going the extra mile to get the +. I sometimes think it isn't worth getting a P without the + because the standard suspension doesn't do the P justice.

That said, if your driving doesn't warrant the +, then it's not worth it.

I have a P85 and have now driven all the models. And can say without any hesitation that I wouldn't ever have anything but a P. IMO unless you're coming from something comparable or planning to take it on the he track etc I didn't really fell the difference in the he P and P+ the P+ was just louder due to the. Bigger tires just my two cents..