Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - Tinting and Rear dashcam cut out

Should I have the rear tint cut out for my dash cam?

• Yes, you won't even notice!

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • No way, it would look fugly!

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Need help and opinions guys, I'm getting Pinnacle tint done tomorrow and was debating whether or not to have them leave a 2 inch by 2 inch square untinted in the top back center area of the rear hatch window for my rear dashcam. Gonna do 15% in the back and 30% in front windows. Any suggestions or opinions are greatly appreciated!!! Thanks everyone! (Area shown in attached photo)

20150619_204306.jpg

No. Mine works fine through the rear tint. It's only 15fps for the rear cam anyway so there's that.

Strongly recommend the same approach (NO cutout) for the windshield if you have that tinted. Just wait for it to cure fully before affixing the adhesive pad thereto. Otherwise, the cutout will look like crap and be noticeable - the last thing you want in certain jurisdictions.

edit: ah - just saw your intention to use 15% rear tint. I used Photosync 35 and wouldn't have gone darker. For 15% you may indeed want the cutout. Still, I'd try it without the cutout and review the resultant dashcam footage. If too dark, you can always grab an exacto knife and create a cutout.