Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Tire Wear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've been a member and following this forum for years and love Tesla. My wife and I are finally hoping to bring home a Model S in 2016 and I've been looking at some of the CPO cars available. My question is, I know tire wear, especially on performance versions with 21" wheels seems excessive. What type of mileage are people seeing out of their Model S? We love the 21" tires but if we buy a standard 85 RWD CPO car and only get 10-15k miles out of the tires I'm not going to be happy. I'm just curious what the big jumps of "tire softness" are in the different models with 19" and 21" tires.

We have 24+ thousand miles on our Dec 2014 P85D with 19" wheels. a fair amount of gravel road are traveled. Tires have worn even and are just above the ware bars. The car is being repaired from a teenager hitting the side. When this is complete I expect to have the SC replace the tires.

19's wear a bit faster than normal cars and tires...but not much. 21" tires... If you don't "need" them, don't get them. In my opinion, they are only for folks with a true need, or for folks that like buying super-expensive tires, and super-expensive rims fairly frequently.

Reactions: markn455
I've got 32,000 miles on my original 19" Goodyear Eagles. S85 RWD delivered in April 2013. The tires are wearing evenly. I use a tread gauge and measure my tires at the end of (nearly) every month --- I estimate that I will get around 42,000 - 45,000 miles before I get close to the wear bars.

• Informative
I've got a P85 with 20" and standard suspension. Coming up on 30,000 miles and I've probably got another 10k in them. I've also got a nearby Tesla friend who's at least hit 40k in his 21" (P85 with air suspension).

In other words, it's not about the car--it's about the tires, the alignment, and the suspension setting.

I've got a P85 with 20" and standard suspension. Coming up on 30,000 miles and I've probably got another 10k in them. I've also got a nearby Tesla friend who's at least hit 40k in his 21" (P85 with air suspension).

In other words, it's not about the car--it's about the tires, the alignment, and the suspension setting.

Ok that's reassuring that he's got 40k out of them. I'm not worried about the harsher ride since our roads are fairly decent around here. I just think it's ridiculous to replace tires every 10k miles. 30-40k is acceptable. What tires are people seeing getting good mileage with the 21"?

I have the 19 inch tires and I needed to replace the rear set at about 15,000 miles. I live in South Florida where the average temp is hotter than many parts of the world. I admit I tend to accelerate fast from stop. Isn't that the point ith this car ? I do not drive crazy, but do often do 0-60 in about 6 seconds, and that torque is bound to cause more tire wear.

• Informative
Reactions: Snerruc
I've got 21's and only got 9K out of my factory Michelins. I was pissed. I moved to Hankooks, have 9K on them now and expect I might get 15 at the best. But I drive mountain roads everyday with lots of curves and the surface is usually pretty rough. I drive very few highway miles. Practically none, actually. So I expect I wear through my rubber faster than most. I am probably moderately aggressive. I am going to try Conti-Silents next with the hope that they might last a bit longer.

Honestly, don't go with 21's. I love them and simply could not resist. But boy oh boy, it is an expensive folly. But I have to say, everytime I see them, I am in love.

I've got 21's and only got 9K out of my factory Michelins. I was pissed. I moved to Hankooks, have 9K on them now and expect I might get 15 at the best. But I drive mountain roads everyday with lots of curves and the surface is usually pretty rough. I drive very few highway miles. Practically none, actually. So I expect I wear through my rubber faster than most. I am probably moderately aggressive. I am going to try Conti-Silents next with the hope that they might last a bit longer.

Honestly, don't go with 21's. I love them and simply could not resist. But boy oh boy, it is an expensive folly. But I have to say, everytime I see them, I am in love.

Expensive folly?? $800 for a set of hankook 21's that ride the same as anything tesla puts on the car. And 18-25k miles before change. Zero difference from any other high performance car with large wheels.

19" tires.

At 10k (maybe 12k?) the service center measured my tires at 8/32. So very good wear. Now at 15k, I should go out and measure them out of curiosity.

- - - Updated - - -

19" tires, 15k miles, 7.5/32nds. Pretty good I'd say.

Good point. The price of entry, I guess. I think if I were to hit 18K, I'd be ecstatic. But I bet I only get 15. And my real concern is that now we are into the heavy rain season and my tread is low. So I need to watch for hydroplaning. Though no sign yet.

Expensive folly?? $800 for a set of hankook 21's that ride the same as anything tesla puts on the car. And 18-25k miles before change. Zero difference from any other high performance car with large wheels.

I have the 21" and got 20k out of them. Most Z-speed rated tires will be in this same ballpark. If you get/fit some less sticky, Y or W rated tires will have less cornering grip but much longer life expectancy.

Now why Tesla chose a 19" when there are so many more options in an 18" is beyond me, but I often wonder why they went 21" and not the more common 20" or 22" on the performance editions as well.

I had Michelin PS2's on 21 inch Tesla wheels on my P85. They wore out at 12,500 miles. Rotated them ever 3,000 miles. Maintained tire pressure at 42psi. Had alignment checked by Tesla every 3000 to 4000 miles. The rubber just wore down. Even wear on all tires. I am not a hard driver. Replaced the PS2 tires with 19 inch TSportline wheels with Michelin AS/3 tires. Unfortunately, they don't seem to last much longer. I just hit 24,000 miles on the odometer (that is, about 12,000 miles on the AS/3 tires), and Tesla tells me I have about 2,000 miles left before I need to replace these tires.