Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Tires - Give me your thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Up here in the Great White North, our winter is coming to an end and it is time to start thinking about 3 season tires.

I say it that way because I have a dedicated set of winter rims and tires (X Ice 3's), which have been amazing.

I am looking for 19" tires for the other three seasons and here are the items of most importance to me.

1. Quiet. This is the most important factor to me. Most all season tires are quiet so maybe this is easy, but I love a smooth quiet ride so this is my most important criteria.

2. Range. I want the quietest tire with the least rolling resistance. I bought a 90D because range was important to me, so to the extent there is a tire that gets better range than the others, I want it (as long as I don't sacrifice #1).

3. Tread wear. I want the longest lasting tire I can get, without compromising the two above.

Now for the tricky part... The reason why I am posting this here is because some of you are really good at finding every tire article, tire test and tire comparison. I don't mind anecdotal evidence either, so I'd love to hear both, but I really would love to see if anyone has some real world data on some of these subjects.

So, let me know which tires you think fit the bill and why? Thanks!

Reactions: Not1Drop
I'm not an expert and haven't tried all the different possible tire brands/models, but I'll give my $.02 anyway.

First, tirerack has a great database of tire reviews. You can sort or filter reviews to look for owners who have the tire on a Tesla which could give you more info about specific tire attributes, especially quietness. Second, I know that there are a few OE spec tires that were made specifically for quietness and low rolling resistance like the OE Continentals. I don't know if anyone has done any objective testing with regard to noise levels.

Reactions: Struja
I'm not an expert and haven't tried all the different possible tire brands/models, but I'll give my $.02 anyway.

First, tirerack has a great database of tire reviews. You can sort or filter reviews to look for owners who have the tire on a Tesla which could give you more info about specific tire attributes, especially quietness. Second, I know that there are a few OE spec tires that were made specifically for quietness and low rolling resistance like the OE Continentals. I don't know if anyone has done any objective testing with regard to noise levels.

Thanks @kugasman. My car came with OE Goodyear tires (the insulated ones). I have had no problems with them but I have typically gotten the best results with all things Michelin so I guess I will check Tirerack to see how the various offerings stack up.

If discussion is going to continue in this thread (which is totally fine) I'm going to move it to "Driving Dynamics" with all the other tire threads.

You mentioned a preference for Michelin. There's a contingent of us here who like the Michelin Primacy MXM4, which was at one point OEM equipment on the Model S. Tire life on these seems to be pretty good. I'm on my second set, the first set lasted for around 36K miles. Admittedly I'm not an expert on tires, though.

Bruce.

If discussion is going to continue in this thread (which is totally fine) I'm going to move it to "Driving Dynamics" with all the other tire threads.

You mentioned a preference for Michelin. There's a contingent of us here who like the Michelin Primacy MXM4, which was at one point OEM equipment on the Model S. Tire life on these seems to be pretty good. I'm on my second set, the first set lasted for around 36K miles. Admittedly I'm not an expert on tires, though.

Bruce.

I did see the Primacy tires but at least on tirerack they did not compare favourably to the Pilot Sport AS 3+. I believe the latter was better in every category which I care about most.

Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 - quiet, excellent traction in most weather conditions, and great thread wear. I run these on all my current and past cars. Discount tire or tire rack are the places to buy these from.

Looks like based on my criteria (according to Tirerack) the two leading tires would be:

Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3+

and

Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus

Does anyone have any practical experience with either?
My OEMs were MXM4s. <y only complaint is they only lasted 27K miles, so I wanted to try something else. I did get about $80 credit for each one from Michelin when replacing them. I went with the A/S3+ and am very pleased. Currently have about 7K miles on them and they were just rotated. Wear is minimal. handling is superb, they are quiet, and they seem to use maybe 5-10 wh/mi more than the MXM4's did.

I searched the forum (which is what you should do), prior to deciding what to get. In several threads, there are reports of the P7's spinning on launches.

My first Tesla had Goodyear somethings. I got about 20,000 miles and replaced them with same, got another 20,000 miles (I live up a hill, lots of curves, affects tire life, y' know). Then I checked Tire Rack and got Michelins. Tire life more than doubled, and all other aspects seemed to be the same.

Even if the "other" tires were half price, it doesn't pay to change tires twice as often, so I drive on Michelins.

My OEMs were MXM4s. <y only complaint is they only lasted 27K miles, so I wanted to try something else. I did get about $80 credit for each one from Michelin when replacing them. I went with the A/S3+ and am very pleased. Currently have about 7K miles on them and they were just rotated. Wear is minimal. handling is superb, they are quiet, and they seem to use maybe 5-10 wh/mi more than the MXM4's did.

I searched the forum (which is what you should do), prior to deciding what to get. In several threads, there are reports of the P7's spinning on launches.
Thank you @Barry for very useful info. I am definitely leaning towards the A/S 3+ and you are pushing me closer to that decision.

I see you posted this at the beginning of March and sure hope you did not think winter was ending too early this year!

I took mine off Monday last week and might have been too eager as our Thursday storm was still enough to make my all seasons struggle. Really can’t understand people who feel all seasons are just fine in the winter as from my experience on Thursday I’m sure glad I had my winters this past winter.

I see you posted this at the beginning of March and sure hope you did not think winter was ending too early this year!

I took mine off Monday last week and might have been too eager as our Thursday storm was still enough to make my all seasons struggle. Really can’t understand people who feel all seasons are just fine in the winter as from my experience on Thursday I’m sure glad I had my winters this past winter.

I am with you on that... my car has been garage parked all day and will be tomorrow as well. Over 400 accidents in the GTA today. A real nightmare on the roads and tomorrow is suppose to be worse.

I got 53K out of the Michelin OEMs with significant tread left, and have been wholly unimpressed with the Goodyear foam OEMs which won’t make it half as far which means that my tire TCO has doubled by buying the 2nd car. Gee, thanks, and I don’t want another (channels Animal House).

While the Michelins are now down to $200/tire not including the usual nickel and dining offset by the usual discounts, I found them to be less than impressive in light snow and quite noisy.

So... am leaning toward the Pirelli Cinturados unless and until I can find something objectionable, in which case it’s the Michelins (Primacy OEMs) - both are LRR, and both are less money than the current Goodyear OEMs.

If you’re getting rid of the car in the next few months, consider the original Goodyear OEMs (Eagle RS A-2s) a set of which can be had for $460 out the door. They’re OEMs so any Tesla SvC will still rotate them for free.

Now go read threads here, at the Electric Cars, Solar Panels & Clean Energy Storage | Tesla fora (google for those), Tire Rack, and America’s/Discount Tire and perhaps the latter’s Direct site.

In the time that it took me to type this, you could be looking at a 3-way comparison of Michelins, Pirellis, and Goodyear’s.

Do let us know what you ended up getting and how quiet they are over time.

Lastly, air pressure and religious rotations at the correct mileage points are key. It doesn’t take much to get less mileage out of tires. They’re either optimally maintained or they aren’t. Suboptimal and edge case conditions aside.