Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am quite un-happy with the poor Goodyear tires that came on my Model S, purchased-on 18 March 2018.
I had to replace two with less than 40 thousand miles, and now need to replace two more with 43 thousand on the car. I’m not a hot rod. The wife and I are retired, and make lots of trips. I love the car. My Lincoln SUV
got 80,000 and more on Michelin’s. I think the Goodyear’s are noisy also. Also, I keep tire pressure up, and rotate as needed. What are other S drivers experience with the OEM supplied tires? Other comments?

I am no lead foot and i only have 19K miles on 2017 with Goodyears and they are below 4/32. i have rotated my tires every 6K miles and also have had to align the wheels once. Consider yourself lucky to get 40K miles!

On a side note, i am going with Michelin MXM4s for the next set.

lol he's ranting about 40k miles on his tires, when most P100D's come with Mich. SS which dont even last 1/3rd of that... and chances are you'll need to replace a couple of them from sidewall damage even before that.

Tesla's i hear in general have horrible wear due to the high torque, unless u drive in chill mode all the time.
Also the regenerative breaking can cause your tires to wear faster that that.

If you got 40k on it, id say you'd did really good, as i really only expect 26k miles on V+ raited tires as being really good even on a non Tesla.

I know the struggle! I, however, do have a lead foot (my husband drives much slower than me and IM THE WIFE lol) so the tire wear is my problem. My rear passenger tire exploded on me while I was driving 83 MPH on the highway (at 6 AM!!). The joke is I only had that tire on the car for 3 months, it almost gave me a heart attack. It broke the rear clips on the bumper (the bumper was hanging off) and the inner wheel well lining was missing...I was also too much of an idiot and I drove on the tire for 5 miles and I ended up damaging the rim and so that also needed replacement. Overall I spent over $1500+ for a new wheel and tire, fender well lining and for them to repair the bumper...I'm now afraid to drive faster than 70 MPH in my car until I replace the other 3 tires because I don't feel safe with them on (I have a new set coming in a few days). Stay Safe and always check on your tires and make sure they are safe enough to be driven on and DONT drive on an exploded tire like I did.

I'm convinced that the Michelin Pilot SS aren't as good as the Pilot Sport 2s. Here's my rationale: the SS may initially have better traction when new, but about half way through their life the traction goes to hell. The PS2s have a longer viable life. Oh, and the traction difference is barely detectable anyway.

The car is heavy. And even those of us that are sedate drivers still accelerate quite a bit faster than most of the ICE cars around us. It’s so effortless and quiet you don’t even notice. I’ve gotten about 25k miles out of the original MXM4s, which were down to 3/32s when replaced. My replacement MXV4s probably would have done about the same but I got a flat and decided to replace the whole set at about 4/32 (and 22k miles) since it is winter time. Remember that it’s better to spend money on tires than bodywork.

I only got 24k out of the OEM Goodyears. Replaced with MXM4's, though I don't expect to get more than 30k on them. Model S is just a really heavy car. You can't compare a W speed rated sedan tire to a truck tire anyway - the truck tire comes with much deeper tread when new, for off road ability. Your SUV's tires also likely are not W rated, so are not as soft and will last longer no matter what brand.

lol he's ranting about 40k miles on his tires, when most P100D's come with Mich. SS which dont even last 1/3rd of that... and chances are you'll need to replace a couple of them from sidewall damage even before that.

Tesla's i hear in general have horrible wear due to the high torque, unless u drive in chill mode all the time.
Also the regenerative breaking can cause your tires to wear faster that that.

If you got 40k on it, id say you'd did really good, as i really only expect 26k miles on V+ raited tires as being really good even on a non Tesla.
The high torque has nothing to do with the wear of the tires as the op clearly states he doesn’t launch the car.

Comparing 21 inch tires to the 19s makes no sense.

Please explain how regenerative braking increases tire wear, that’s certainly something I’d like to know more about.

Please explain how regenerative braking increases tire wear, that’s certainly something I’d like to know more about.

At minimum it severely concentrates wear on RWD cars. My RWD S will eat rear tires twice as fast as fronts as they do 100% of the acceleration and 90% of the braking. The difference is far less pronounced on AWD cars.

Back to OP, 40k on the OEM Goodyears is nothing short of a miracle, and twice as long as most report. That said, I agree they’re mediocre tires. I greatly prefer the Michelin MXM4, but you’re not gonna get 80k out of those either.

Model S is a big girl and you can bet she’s gonna wear down the heel on her pumps faster than most.

• Informative
Reactions: AMPd
I am quite un-happy with the poor Goodyear tires that came on my Model S, purchased-on 18 March 2018.
I had to replace two with less than 40 thousand miles, and now need to replace two more with 43 thousand on the car. I’m not a hot rod.

If life is the primary concern, keeping in mind obtaining a decent brand name all season tire, the Pirelli Cinturato P7 or the Continental Purecontact are the longest treadwear rating at 700 on Tirerack.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...9CP7ASP2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...R9PCLSXL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

The Michelin Premier are rated at 640. I might try a set next time.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Premier+A/S&partnum=445VR9PREAS&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

While the common Michelin MXM4's, what were once OEM on the model S (and what I have on my car) are rated at 500

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...WR9MXM4P&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

But when you see a chart like this, doesn't it make you want to try to find these Vredestein's?

Screen Shot 2020-01-11 at 8.28.32 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: charansr
At minimum it severely concentrates wear on RWD cars. My RWD S will eat rear tires twice as fast as fronts as they do 100% of the acceleration and 90% of the braking. The difference is far less pronounced on AWD cars.
Since op said he purchased the vehicle in 2018 I assumed it was new, therefore AWD where regen wouldn’t have anymore of a negative effect than just using brakes.

40 K miles on any Tesla tire is very good. I got 38 K on my Michelin MXMs, and my current Goodyears are only going to last 24 K.
Total agreement, these are heavy cars and yes there are other heavy cars, these days to approach 38,-45,000 miles is a dream of cream puffing it around. I use two sets here in Florida. Arachnids/Mich during the winter that eat energy during the time of year I can afford the usage, and 19s Goodyears during summer rains. This car, here with the Goodyears surpassingly quiet, and last into the 30s. I classify myself as a Michelin type of tire consumer.

I got 61000 on the first set of Michelin Primacy MXM4 and 63000 on second set. My rear wheel drive S wears the back tires faster than the front and I rotate them about every 10000.
That’s fascinating, and twice as far as I’ve gotten out of 2 sets of the same tire on the same RWD car with the same rotation practice.

Guess the roads you drive and their conditions really a major factor.