Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tire tread issues-
It seems I am burning through tires at an alarming rate. On my second set of tires and I haven't owned my 2013 Tesla Model S 85 for two years yet. I am averaging at this rate a new set every 12-15k miles, even though tires should last 40k miles minimally. The inside tread is uneven, and not sure why yet. I have an appointment with Tesla to do an alignment and check the lower bushings etc. Is there a recommended tire that lasts as long as it is supposed to? 21 inch rims, 245/35/21 size. Any recommendations would be appreciated. I commute 65 miles per day, or 1300 miles per month, open highway.

Tire tread issues-
It seems I am burning through tires at an alarming rate. On my second set of tires and I haven't owned my 2013 Tesla Model S 85 for two years yet. I am averaging at this rate a new set every 12-15k miles, even though tires should last 40k miles minimally. The inside tread is uneven, and not sure why yet. I have an appointment with Tesla to do an alignment and check the lower bushings etc. Is there a recommended tire that lasts as long as it is supposed to? 21 inch rims, 245/35/21 size. Any recommendations would be appreciated. I commute 65 miles per day, or 1300 miles per month, open highway.
19" :D

The Michelin Pilot Sport 4 on my Model S Performance are almost shot at 9,000 miles. The fronts maybe have another 2,000 miles and the rears another 3,000. I have never rotated. Looking for a recommendation on a replacement that will last longer but still handle and ride decent. This is the quickest I have ever gone through a set of tires. Of course, this car is a beast and I like to have some fun. Maybe this is all I should expect from performance tires.

Tire tread issues-
Had same issue...have tried Continental- got 23K miles, Michelin - got 17K miles,, running Vredestein Quatrac Pro currently 27K miles.-tread at 5 mm currently. I keep pressure at 45 lbs-which requires constant monitoring. Tesla MS is a heavy car-not sure 40K expectation is realistic.

This is a old topic but a good one. Tires are getting really hard to source and expensive in our area.

I really ike my 19" Michelin Pilot Sport 4 OEM tires on my Raven MSP. So much so, that I ended up buying a similar 20" Michelin Primacy Tour A/S tires for my wife's (non Tesla) vehicle and really like them also. Not sure they have the proper load rating for a heavy Model S.

M

The Michelin Pilot Sport 4 on my Model S Performance are almost shot at 9,000 miles. The fronts maybe have another 2,000 miles and the rears another 3,000. I have never rotated. Looking for a recommendation on a replacement that will last longer but still handle and ride decent. This is the quickest I have ever gone through a set of tires. Of course, this car is a beast and I like to have some fun. Maybe this is all I should expect from performance tires.
Get it aligned. Same tire on 19" wheels, Raven performance. I'm just over 21,00 miles and I would estimate another 10,000 before the tread gets low enough to be a problem in the rain (5/32" remaining). I rotated once and it was not necessary. Very even wear front versus rear. Love the steering response, solid but comfortable ride, noise depends on the condition of the road, but generally pretty quiet. Unless you are throwing your car into corners I have to suspect an alignment problem (no tire would hold up to 5,000 lbs and aggressive cornering). I'm planning on getting the PS4 again when the time comes. 30,000 miles on a performance tire on a Model S sounds just fine. Don't assume the car was delivered correctly aligned. Stuff happens.

Had same issue...have tried Continental- got 23K miles, Michelin - got 17K miles,, running Vredestein Quatrac Pro currently 27K miles.-tread at 5 mm currently.
Good to know. Always had Vredestein on my radar, just so hard to find them where I am at. I am currently at the wear bars with 31K Km (19K miles) from my Conti DWS06 and hated a few aspects of the tire; I'm done with Continental. Just bought a set of Pirelli P7 AS II after reading so many positive reviews of their quiet/comfortable ride and long tread life. I was going to buy them last time but got the DWS06 for $40 less per tire, but they ended up being more expensive due to the short tread life.

Which Michelin; MXM4?

Get it aligned. Same tire on 19" wheels, Raven performance. I'm just over 21,00 miles and I would estimate another 10,000 before the tread gets low enough to be a problem in the rain (5/32" remaining). I rotated once and it was not necessary. Very even wear front versus rear. Love the steering response, solid but comfortable ride, noise depends on the condition of the road, but generally pretty quiet. Unless you are throwing your car into corners I have to suspect an alignment problem (no tire would hold up to 5,000 lbs and aggressive cornering). I'm planning on getting the PS4 again when the time comes. 30,000 miles on a performance tire on a Model S sounds just fine. Don't assume the car was delivered correctly aligned. Stuff happens.
Absolutely get it aligned, but it's more about the profile of the 21" vs the 19". The stiff short profile doesn't enable the large tire to squat properly on the width of the tread, so the majority of weight is on the inner edge.

Screen Shot 2022-07-10 at 5.40.11 AM.png

The only way to properly align it is to buy aftermarket adjustable camber links and adjust the camber to just -1 degree instead of the -1.5-almost -2 degrees the car probably has. Great for high speed corners, but not so much for highway driving. Toe has alot to do with it as well, so yes align the car to minimize this and get it to roll as straight as possible, but the tires will never last as long as 19", if that matters to people. Plenty of threads on this topic.

Here's a picture of a front tire FWIW. These are 19". I have an appointment at Discount Tire in a couple weeks. They have the best reviews around here although I haven't been there. I could take it to the dealer as well. I'm guessing they will advise to put on new tires. I'll definitely have the alignment checked. I have never noticed my car pulling in either direction.

Attachments

• IMG_0898.JPG
    IMG_0898.JPG
    355.1 KB · Views: 55
Here's a picture of a front tire FWIW. These are 19". I have an appointment at Discount Tire in a couple weeks. They have the best reviews around here although I haven't been there. I could take it to the dealer as well. I'm guessing they will advise to put on new tires. I'll definitely have the alignment checked. I have never noticed my car pulling in either direction.
That is some pretty even tire wear. I can't see any cupping, odd wear pattern or inside vs outside wear that would indicate an alignment problem. Doesn't look like over or under inflated. Seems like we have identical cars and I should get an easy 30,000 miles from my PS4, so long(ish) tread life is possible. I'd do an alignment for peace of mind as it's never a bad investment when installing new tires. Hopefully your next set of whatever you decide on lasts a lot longer than the first set.

I assumed you had 21" when you said you were getting only 10k miles out of them. You should get much more than that with 19". Bizarre.

Has anyone thought about changing the SIZE of the tires when swapping out, or is everyone just sitting with the factory size?

I'm talking about going from a 245 to a bit wider, perhaps a 255/45 which would also increase the sidewall a touch and maybe offer a little bit of curbing protection to the wheels.

Since I have Jeeps, I'm always looking at alternative tire sizes and seeing what has the best price point as well as increasing the cushion a bit, and reducing the revs/mile whenever possible.

Has anyone thought about changing the SIZE of the tires when swapping out, or is everyone just sitting with the factory size?

I'm talking about going from a 245 to a bit wider, perhaps a 255/45 which would also increase the sidewall a touch and maybe offer a little bit of curbing protection to the wheels.

Since I have Jeeps, I'm always looking at alternative tire sizes and seeing what has the best price point as well as increasing the cushion a bit, and reducing the revs/mile whenever possible.

I put 255/35 & 275/35 on my Arachnids for the same reasons you mentioned, little bit more rim protection and ride comfort.

Did you check to see if the price was better (and if it would fit) with a 255/45?

In looking around like at Costco, they don't normally stock anything in a 245/45R19, that's a weird (expensive!) size according to their computer... BUT they usually have 235/50 and it's affordable. But I don't know that I want to shrink the side protection - Curb rash is a concern. Does anyone know what the widest or tallest that would reasonably fit the front of an S are? Trying to avoid rubbing too if possible, but increasing the sidewall protects from potholes. I can just avoid parallel parking to protect from curb rash.

I got 60K miles out of our old Goodyear Eagle RS-A2s. They're perfectly good all-season tires that start to lose grip and get a little noisy when they're on their last 20% of life but that's pretty common. We never rotated our tires and they wore pretty evenly with the rears wearing a smidge more than the fronts (RWD/RW-regen). Our Tesla is mostly used on the freeway/highway so I'm glad these Goodyears perform reasonably well yet have the longevity of a touring tire.

Did you check to see if the price was better (and if it would fit) with a 255/45?

In looking around like at Costco, they don't normally stock anything in a 245/45R19, that's a weird (expensive!) size according to their computer... BUT they usually have 235/50 and it's affordable. But I don't know that I want to shrink the side protection - Curb rash is a concern. Does anyone know what the widest or tallest that would reasonably fit the front of an S are? Trying to avoid rubbing too if possible, but increasing the sidewall protects from potholes. I can just avoid parallel parking to protect from curb rash.

My wheels are 21" and I did not bother to check if 255/45 (or 40) would fit because I felt it would make the sidewalls too tall.

I think you have uneven wear.

Look at the distance from the top of the tread blocks to the top of the wear bars.
The left tread block is the same height as the wear bar. And as you go to the right, each tread block is progressively taller than the wear bar.

Is that something to be concerned about? I don't know.

Screen Shot 2022-07-14 at 3.48.39 PM.png

New tires installed yesterday. Discount Tire sales guy told me my tires are unsafe. I don’t know but didn’t want to mess with it. Probably could have got a couple thousand miles more by rotating since rears had more tread than fronts. Warranty coverage was $75 a tire for fronts. Rears had 3/32 inch tread left so not covered. Alignment check set up for next week. Disappointed with the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 19” lasting 9000 miles.