Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S to 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently own a 2016 Model S 75D, with AP1 hardware. I am at the 45K mark, and my warranty will run out at 50K. So far, no really big issues other than some tail lamp condensation for which they got replaced, and misailgned power windows on the passenger side.

If I sell my car now, I can cover the remaining loan and just get into a Model 3 for less than the remaining loan amount while having a car with HW which will last for several more years, and under warranty.

Looking further ahead, I see that there will likely be a major refresh of the Model S coming in the fall. I am guess that the value of my S will drop sharply at that point.

The S is obviously nicer, but should I switch now and get the maximum value from my S, and also not have to worry about out of warranty repairs (and bills)?

A new car is basically never a good financial decision, though we often like to twist in circles to convince ourselves otherwise. ;)

Your car has taken its big depreciation hit already - I wouldn't expect any future product announcements to have an outsize effect on accelerating that. You said yourself that repairs thus far have been minor and you have 5 more years of warranty on the battery and drive unit.

Put the financial shenanigans aside. Do you WANT a new car?

Reactions: pdxrajiv
Lived for six months with an S85D (mine) and a 3LR (wife’s).

Found I was always asking to trade and use hers.

Sold the S. Bought a P3D (when you could get it with 18” wheels).

Haven’t looked back.

Newer, fresher, interior. Better visibility.

Much more fun to drive, especially on canyon/mountain roads.

Adds far more miles/minute at Superchargers (faster charge rate, coupled with lower energy usage).

Only compromise: Cargo space for road trips is merely good, versus Model S, which is stupendous. Still, we’ve managed to bring skis and ski clothing/equipment, mountain bikes and mountain bike clothing/equipment, golf clubs, snowshoes, luggage, and groceries on our current trip to Mammoth!

A new car is basically never a good financial decision, though we often like to twist in circles to convince ourselves otherwise. ;)

Your car has taken its big depreciation hit already - I wouldn't expect any future product announcements to have an outsize effect on accelerating that. You said yourself that repairs thus far have been minor and you have 5 more years of warranty on the battery and drive unit.

I would like to take advantage of the new HW3 and FSD features, and also have access to the carpool lane (in CA).

Reactions: GSP
Lived for six months with an S85D (mine) and a 3LR (wife’s).

Found I was always asking to trade and use hers.

Sold the S. Bought a P3D (when you could get it with 18” wheels).

Haven’t looked back.

Newer, fresher, interior. Better visibility.

Much more fun to drive, especially on canyon/mountain roads.

Adds far more miles/minute at Superchargers (faster charge rate, coupled with lower energy usage).

Only compromise: Cargo space for road trips is merely good, versus Model S, which is stupendous. Still, we’ve managed to bring skis and ski clothing/equipment, mountain bikes and mountain bike clothing/equipment, golf clubs, snowshoes, luggage, and groceries on our current trip to Mammoth!

You are killing me.... thinking of P3D as well but really cannot justify an extra $10K.

• Funny
I sold my 2013 S85 last September. Loved the car, but wanted the safety features, PDC, folding mirrors, etc, plus in the SF Bay Area my HOV stickers were expiring. Went 'full spec' for a P3D+, and love it. More nimble, better handling, smaller, all of the tech. But my wife still drives her 2015 S70D, so we have the big road cruiser and cargo hauler. Best of both worlds. All good.

Personally I feel a little claustrophobic sitting in a 3 in the showroom. I have never owned a car that small. I definitely expect the car to handle better than the S because of its size.
Staying in your S will likely be a much smarter financial decision, at least until the motor/battery warranty is up.
The main factor in play here is the upgrade to HW3. In several few years it might start creating income when/if you choose to put it into the Tesla car sharing network.

Model 3 was too small for me and I thought that the interior was inferior and cheap, especially the crappy fake wood trim across the console and the easily scratched center console. Others have a diff opinion.

But honestly reading your post it looks like you've made up your mind and want some people to back your decision, so just do whatever makes you happy as long as you can afford it.

I have both an S and a 3 as the picture shows. Like others, we like the S for trips since it has more room and free Supercharing. I like to drive the 3 when I drive into Seattle. I find it easier to get around since it is a little more nimble and smaller. Both are great cars.

Depending on your current usage I would consider keeping the S for a while since I am assuming you get free Supercharging with it. If it is a service you use you may like to keep that benefit.

That said, my S is about 1.5 years newer than yours and has AP 2.5 and MCU 2 so I am a lot further ahead hardware wise and can play Beach Buggy 2 while I wait for the wife.

Back in a loaner s. it feels more luxurious, but also more boaty than my 3. I do love the power lift gate though. I don't think they will be able to achieve full atounamy in the 3 even though I bought fsd. I wouldn't count on it anyways. The cameras don't appear to see far enough ahead imo. I like the 3s controls and interior better over the s though. The screen seems to have better contrast in the 3, and better blacks, and better response, but you do rely on it more and it's smaller. Definitely test drive the 3 first before you decide. I think the 3 is a better value but the S looks better and is more comfortable in the front seats. S is better if you don't care about the improved handling in the 3 and want the more plush ride of the s. It certainly still accelerates well enough. 3 is missing air suspension and power lift gate which are the things i like better about the S.

Aside from the other comments, another consideration, is what I will call the feature “deficits”/unknowns as your car ages. Owning a Tesla is like computers in the early days - changes every couple of months, major changes every year or 2. My deficit comment has to do with various issues that seem to occur to some older cars, e.g., what is being termed battery degradation in the 85kW cars, or yellow border on some MCUs. Tesla says they will fix the latter, but is denying the first one is an issue. Getting a new car, but one that isn’t on the front end of the cycle should put you in a better place.

I was shopping for a Tesla earlier this year and was also debating between a used Model S or new Model 3. My budget, under $45K.

I can understand why most people would choose a new car but after lots of thinking, I chose a used Model S. I wanted Dual Motors (AWD) and at least 270 mile range. Doing an existing inventory search for Long Range, AWD Model 3 would be close to $54K. The M3 would not have a subzero package, and no free supercharging! In its defense, the M3 has much better Battery and AP technology, as well as Sentry mode!

So why did I chose a used Model S. First, I’m a big guy, and the S is a much roomier car. Road trips on the S are definitely more pleasant, as it is much quieter than the M3. Second, price, for mid $40K I found a used 2015 Model S85D with only 12,004 miles. I

t has the Tech Package with AP1, Premium Sound, SubZero Package, NextGen Seats, panoramic sunroof, and free supercharging. I also like the 2 displays vs. the 15 inch single display on the M3. Bought directly from Tesla, it came with a 4 year/50K miles warranty (from my delivery date).

Here are some photos of my dream car! My 2015 Tesla

In four years when my warranty is up, I will probably look for another used Tesla S, hopefully a RAVEN!

Model 3 was too small for me and I thought that the interior was inferior and cheap, especially the crappy fake wood trim across the console and the easily scratched center console. Others have a diff opinion.

But honestly reading your post it looks like you've made up your mind and want some people to back your decision, so just do whatever makes you happy as long as you can afford it.

It's real wood.

Our primary car is a 2018 Model S 75D. We wanted to upgrade our 2nd car, but established the following criteria & constraints:
  • Don't wanna drop big $$$ (max $15k)
  • Enough range for a few days of current commute (~10miles one way)
  • 100% electric
  • Somewhat nice-looking
  • ACC
I'm probably going to get burned for this here, but we ended up getting a used 2014 BMW i3 BEV for ~$12k. It has all the checkboxes above (nice looking is obviously in the eye of the beholder).

I totally would have liked to get a M3 instead, but we just don't need 2 long range EVs, and financially as well as ecologically it made much more sense to give this car a second life, especially for our planned usage. It's obviously no Tesla, but I have no regrets.

I should add, it's hard for me to think the interior of the S is superior even with 2 screens, despite what the majority of non tesla owners think when they see the 3's interior. The primitive AC controls and raised dashboard to fit the giant screen end up taking up allot of space. my knee taps the dash near the screen in the S, although I don't find it uncomfortable. There is also less usable center console cargo area on the S, and I really really dislike the armrests, at least if you intend to use the cup holders. There are also no door pockets in the S. I find the touchscreen on the 3 easier to use too. When I first sat in both in the showroom I REALLY like the S more, but once you have a 3 and get into an S I find it does not do it for me, and feels a bit dated. The screens contrast and colors feel washed out to me on the S. On the 3 I can position the steering wheel any way I want without blocking the screen, I find I prefer looking to the side over looking down to see my speed. I think the S refresh is going to be amazing though :)

Also The 75D I'm borrowing has allot less range, I think I would want at least a 90D but would probably try to find a 100D if going for an S. I really like both cars for different reasons

• Love
Reactions: GSP and evster
I currently own a 2016 Model S 75D, with AP1 hardware. I am at the 45K mark, and my warranty will run out at 50K.
So far, no really big issues other than some tail lamp condensation for which they got replaced, and misailgned power windows on the passenger side.

If I sell my car now, I can cover the remaining loan and just get into a Model 3 for less than the remaining loan amount while having a car with HW which will last for several more years, and under warranty.

Looking further ahead, I see that there will likely be a major refresh of the Model S coming in the fall. I am guess that the value of my S will drop sharply at that point.

The S is obviously nicer, but should I switch now and get the maximum value from my S, and also not have to worry about out of warranty repairs (and bills)?

Your car has taken its big depreciation hit already - I wouldn't expect any future product announcements to have an outsize effect on accelerating that.

You said yourself that repairs thus far have been minor and you have 5 more years of warranty on the battery and drive unit.

If you can wait, an other option would be to wait for the Model Y which seems to be a good compromise between a Model 3 and a Model S.

This would be the best of both worlds because the Model Y will be as nimble as the Model 3 and practical and roomy as the Model S.

I believe that at this time, next year, the Model Y will be available, especially if you pre-order it, as I recently did.

Typically used cars sales occur around 60k miles, so you still have a good year in front of you.

Your car will not depreciate that much for an extra year.

I don't think you might get too many mechanical problem for an extra year, and there might be a possibility to extend the warranty?

Note: Coming from a Model S, I just think that you might regret getting the Model 3
considering the space and practicality lost for not having a hatchback.

And then after one year with the Model 3, you might again consider to change and get a Model Y..

Note: If I haven't really needed to buy my Model 3 about six months ago, I was also pushed with the ending Federal tax cut too,
I would had just bought a used Leaf or e-Golf...and waited for the Model Y.

However, I really like my Model 3. There is no equivalent for that price range.

I have to agree with everyone above. IF you're comfortable in the model 3, it's probably the way to go. For some, like me, model 3 was just not an option. Otherwise I would definitely take the model 3 over the used S.

And yes Makii, you are going to get burned for the i3. It's such a flimsy car, it's scary driving it because it doesn't have much protection from accidents. Also, the seats are very uncomfortable and not adjustable. The ACC doesn't work have the time. Can't compare to a Tesla