TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model S to 3?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by mhw23, Jul 8, 2019.

1. PJFW8

PJFW8 Red Menace may hurt me

The wood is real. Otherwise you are sure right about the center console surface.

2. TrevTremaine

TrevTremaine Member

I'm contemplating the same thing when my lease runs out in under 2 years. It'll be more complex as the Y will be out, and I'll want to try the S with the new Raven suspension to see how it does. Other factors might come to light (any potential updates to either). I'd love to get into a 3, but I don't like the trunk (I love the versatility of the hatch with the S) and I'm unsure of how comfortable it'll be for teenagers in the back seat.

3. evster

evster Member

This is spot on!

I think many people who just jump into a 3 quickly in the showroom or drive around the block doesn't fully get it. When having got used to the 3 for some time it is for sure the better designed interior and the S feels a bit pre-historic when you drive that again.

I would go for the 3 without even hesitating one second if the luggage room is large enough.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  4. Zishan

Zishan Member

I'm in the market for a Model S, P90DL, preferably. So I'd want to say stick with the S.

However, this weekend, I ran into a car buddy. He has a zanardi NSX and a Lexus LFA which he drives the heck out of. He mentioned how much he liked the way the Model 3 drove, he wanted one. His opinion to me, carries a lot of weight. Makes me super impressed with the Model 3, and yet I've never driven one. Gotta respect the Model 3.

5. Glamisduner

Glamisduner Active Member

That's going to be a fun S for sure!

I can really feel the agility of the 3 compared to the S. For example turning left of the highway and then merging a lane over to the right, or worse turning left then immediately right, the S does not feel great, but the 3 handles it with ease. You really notice the difference in turns that go back and fourth. However you certainly also feel the road allot more on the 3, and I feel the S is much quieter and less rattly. My 3 feels a bit cheap in this regard compared to the S. I love hatchbacks though, I may have been better off with a Y, but the performance 3 makes more sense to me than the performance Y. But if just going for RWD or AWD, I think the Y is going to be great. Also with the S I'm constant battling the steering wheel when turned to see if hol dis enabled or glancing at other controls. Never would have noticed this coming from most cars, but after your used to the unobstructed center view it just makes more sense. I hope the model S refresh includes a HUD instead of the extra screen. Another thing that is important is that the S comes with more interior options. I'm not a huge fan of all black or white interiors, I would personally prefer something gray or medium brown.

6. Enungesser

Enungesser New Member

7. dethman

dethman Member

if it's real wood they sure made it look fake. it looks to be about 1/2mm thin veneer and looks like it came off a piece of ikea furniture.

8. Mike Robinson

Mike Robinson Member

Elon just tweeted today that there will NOT be a major refresh of the Model S anytime soon!

9. Ken7

Ken7 Member

I think those that are used to luxury cars can't underestimate the value of a quieter & cushier ride. That's where the S excels in comparison to the 3.

• Like x 1
  10. Navsarin

Navsarin S100D Red Rocket

A4AA5087-2738-408D-B1FB-3662EB183E13.png

11. rsg123

rsg123 Member

THERE WILL BE NO S/X REFRESH!

just in case you haven’t heard
    :p

12. Simon21

Simon21 Member

Are you guys sure there won't be a refresh? He might be exaggerating

13. rsg123

rsg123 Member

He’s not known for that.

• Funny x 2
  14. rafacq

rafacq Member

Pre historic? Please. A 2013 Model S just got picked the car of the year for all cars chosen in the last 70 years!
    2013 Tesla Model S Beats Chevy, Toyota, and Cadillac for Ultimate Car of the Year Honors - MotorTrend

15. robg

robg Member

the i3 might *seem* flimsy but its actually made of carbon fiber - giving it a very strong structure. Here's the iihs crash results (which include the small overlap test that the Model S did not fair well in). Not going to disagree on the seats and the looks are not to my taste.
    2018 BMW i3 4-door hatchback

16. willw64

willw64 Member

I finally was able to drive a Model 3 today. It was a Long Range AWD Performance. We have a new Model S Performance "Raven", and test drove the M3 because we will be going all EV.

Both are great options, but IMO it isn't even close in terms of quality of ride and overall comfort with the S coming out on top, especially with the new suspension. The 3 is fun to drive, but has "tighter" suspension so it is definitely a sportier ride, especially if you get the larger wheels.

17. Rojer Lockless

Air suspension is pretty sweet.