Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S to 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model 3 was too small for me and I thought that the interior was inferior and cheap, especially the crappy fake wood trim across the console and the easily scratched center console. Others have a diff opinion.

But honestly reading your post it looks like you've made up your mind and want some people to back your decision, so just do whatever makes you happy as long as you can afford it.
The wood is real. Otherwise you are sure right about the center console surface.

I'm contemplating the same thing when my lease runs out in under 2 years. It'll be more complex as the Y will be out, and I'll want to try the S with the new Raven suspension to see how it does. Other factors might come to light (any potential updates to either). I'd love to get into a 3, but I don't like the trunk (I love the versatility of the hatch with the S) and I'm unsure of how comfortable it'll be for teenagers in the back seat.

I should add, it's hard for me to think the interior of the S is superior even with 2 screens, despite what the majority of non tesla owners think when they see the 3's interior. The primitive AC controls and raised dashboard to fit the giant screen end up taking up allot of space. my knee taps the dash near the screen in the S, although I don't find it uncomfortable. There is also less usable center console cargo area on the S, and I really really dislike the armrests, at least if you intend to use the cup holders. There are also no door pockets in the S. I find the touchscreen on the 3 easier to use too. When I first sat in both in the showroom I REALLY like the S more, but once you have a 3 and get into an S I find it does not do it for me, and feels a bit dated. The screens contrast and colors feel washed out to me on the S. On the 3 I can position the steering wheel any way I want without blocking the screen, I find I prefer looking to the side over looking down to see my speed. I think the S refresh is going to be amazing though :)

Also The 75D I'm borrowing has allot less range, I think I would want at least a 90D but would probably try to find a 100D if going for an S. I really like both cars for different reasons

This is spot on!

I think many people who just jump into a 3 quickly in the showroom or drive around the block doesn't fully get it. When having got used to the 3 for some time it is for sure the better designed interior and the S feels a bit pre-historic when you drive that again.

I would go for the 3 without even hesitating one second if the luggage room is large enough.

• Disagree
Reactions: rafacq and GSP
I'm in the market for a Model S, P90DL, preferably. So I'd want to say stick with the S.

However, this weekend, I ran into a car buddy. He has a zanardi NSX and a Lexus LFA which he drives the heck out of. He mentioned how much he liked the way the Model 3 drove, he wanted one. His opinion to me, carries a lot of weight. Makes me super impressed with the Model 3, and yet I've never driven one. Gotta respect the Model 3.

I'm in the market for a Model S, P90DL, preferably. So I'd want to say stick with the S.

However, this weekend, I ran into a car buddy. He has a zanardi NSX and a Lexus LFA which he drives the heck out of. He mentioned how much he liked the way the Model 3 drove, he wanted one. His opinion to me, carries a lot of weight. Makes me super impressed with the Model 3, and yet I've never driven one. Gotta respect the Model 3.
That's going to be a fun S for sure!

I can really feel the agility of the 3 compared to the S. For example turning left of the highway and then merging a lane over to the right, or worse turning left then immediately right, the S does not feel great, but the 3 handles it with ease. You really notice the difference in turns that go back and fourth. However you certainly also feel the road allot more on the 3, and I feel the S is much quieter and less rattly. My 3 feels a bit cheap in this regard compared to the S. I love hatchbacks though, I may have been better off with a Y, but the performance 3 makes more sense to me than the performance Y. But if just going for RWD or AWD, I think the Y is going to be great. Also with the S I'm constant battling the steering wheel when turned to see if hol dis enabled or glancing at other controls. Never would have noticed this coming from most cars, but after your used to the unobstructed center view it just makes more sense. I hope the model S refresh includes a HUD instead of the extra screen. Another thing that is important is that the S comes with more interior options. I'm not a huge fan of all black or white interiors, I would personally prefer something gray or medium brown.

I currently own a 2016 Model S 75D, with AP1 hardware. I am at the 45K mark, and my warranty will run out at 50K. So far, no really big issues other than some tail lamp condensation for which they got replaced, and misailgned power windows on the passenger side.

If I sell my car now, I can cover the remaining loan and just get into a Model 3 for less than the remaining loan amount while having a car with HW which will last for several more years, and under warranty.

Looking further ahead, I see that there will likely be a major refresh of the Model S coming in the fall. I am guess that the value of my S will drop sharply at that point.

The S is obviously nicer, but should I switch now and get the maximum value from my S, and also not have to worry about out of warranty repairs (and bills)?

Elon just tweeted today that there will NOT be a major refresh of the Model S anytime soon!

A4AA5087-2738-408D-B1FB-3662EB183E13.png
Looking further ahead, I see that there will likely be a major refresh of the Model S coming in the fall. I am guess that the value of my S will drop sharply at that point.

This is spot on!

I think many people who just jump into a 3 quickly in the showroom or drive around the block doesn't fully get it. When having got used to the 3 for some time it is for sure the better designed interior and the S feels a bit pre-historic when you drive that again.

I would go for the 3 without even hesitating one second if the luggage room is large enough.

Pre historic? Please. A 2013 Model S just got picked the car of the year for all cars chosen in the last 70 years!
2013 Tesla Model S Beats Chevy, Toyota, and Cadillac for Ultimate Car of the Year Honors - MotorTrend

I have to agree with everyone above. IF you're comfortable in the model 3, it's probably the way to go. For some, like me, model 3 was just not an option. Otherwise I would definitely take the model 3 over the used S.

And yes Makii, you are going to get burned for the i3. It's such a flimsy car, it's scary driving it because it doesn't have much protection from accidents. Also, the seats are very uncomfortable and not adjustable. The ACC doesn't work have the time. Can't compare to a Tesla

the i3 might *seem* flimsy but its actually made of carbon fiber - giving it a very strong structure. Here's the iihs crash results (which include the small overlap test that the Model S did not fair well in). Not going to disagree on the seats and the looks are not to my taste.
2018 BMW i3 4-door hatchback

I finally was able to drive a Model 3 today. It was a Long Range AWD Performance. We have a new Model S Performance "Raven", and test drove the M3 because we will be going all EV.

Both are great options, but IMO it isn't even close in terms of quality of ride and overall comfort with the S coming out on top, especially with the new suspension. The 3 is fun to drive, but has "tighter" suspension so it is definitely a sportier ride, especially if you get the larger wheels.