Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S to be on Top Gear US.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve never seen the US version… There’s no difference at all between Top Gear UK and Top Gear US? Did the US version also lie about two Roadsters?

The US version is shown on the History Channel. Just like all the other Top Gears it has three guys that goof on each other while racing cars around. There is probably little connection to the UK Top Gear but it is still just an entertainment show. I would doubt that there is a Top Gear vendetta against Tesla. They will probably give their own biased opinion of the car and leave it at that. It has no where near the same level of viewers as the UK version so even if they goof on the car it will have little to no effect on people's perception. I expect a positive review as long as they don't try to do a long road trip or a lengthy thrashing around the track.

And no, the US version has never tested a Tesla at all.

The US version is only in its 4th season, and they have not featured anything regarding the Roadster. A little more internet searching comes up with Rutledge and the Stig driving the Model S at the Willows Spring track and maybe comparing it to a Merc S550. After the last fiasco, I doubt Tesla would cooperate with either Top Gear US or UK. I am sure there is enough separation in the franchises that the US producers operate independently of the influence of Jeremy Clarkson. However, some of the US shows copy-cat the UK scenarios..... hopefully, this is not one of them.

It was the UK version (mainly Jeremy Clarkson) that massacred the Roadster test drive. What did they expect running a Roadster flat out on a racetrack as fast as possible for as long as possible? I believe Tesla won't allow them to test drive a Model S because of that misleading review.

Last edited:
Totally different production crew, and none of the hosts are anywhere close to as polarizing as Clarkson (or Hammond or May for that matter).

I'm a big fan of the UK series, and while the US version originally emulated the UK formula very closely in format, it has morphed into a "challenge" based show with the three hosts basically hooning around in various challenges.

I didn't like the US version at first, but it has grown on me. Once I stopped expecting to be as good as, and the same show as the UK version, it's quite enjoyable. I like Tanner, Rut, and Adam, too. They're very endearing in a benign sort of way.

My money is on them giving the car a very positive review.

Totally different production crew, and none of the hosts are anywhere close to as polarizing as Clarkson (or Hammond or May for that matter).

I'm a big fan of the UK series, and while the US version originally emulated the UK formula very closely in format, it has morphed into a "challenge" based show with the three hosts basically hooning around in various challenges.

I didn't like the US version at first, but it has grown on me. Once I stopped expecting to be as good as, and the same show as the UK version, it's quite enjoyable. I like Tanner, Rut, and Adam, too. They're very endearing in a benign sort of way.

I totally agree with your assessment. I feel the same way about the show too.

I absolutely love the US Top Gear, the interaction between the hosts is hilarious, their antics are ridiculous, and you can tell they just flat out love great cars. They will give the Mosel S a great review. UK Top Gear got caught with their pants down as an early reviewer of Tesla and choosing to bash them. They're eating their words now.

Also agree with your summery.

I'm going to say the review will be positive as the underling theme of the show has always been "America, *** Yeah!!" and Tesla is a California car.

I'm going to say the review will be positive as the underling theme of the show has always been "America, *** Yeah!!" and Tesla is a California car.

This. I enjoy the British version a little more because they talk funny, but the US version is more about car enthusiasts clowning and trying out cool stuff that the viewer wants to see and dream bout doing themselves in a you tube video. Clarkson and co. come up with niggling problems with some amazing vehicles and then proceed to harp on them relentlessly.

Me three!

Ditto the dittos. The show is fun and I don't compare it to the UK one because I've never searched out or seen an entire episode of the UK one. I told the DVR to record Top Gear and I ended up with the US one because the UK one is on a channel I don't get.

One guy is basically the Stig without the helmet; one guy is basically a comic and one guy is basically just a dude who is into cars.