Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S to be on Top Gear US.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Felt like a Tesla commercial. Perhaps US Top Gear is trying to make up for UK Top Gear shenanigans.

---

At one point without explanation, they say that EVs are not really ready yet (equating them to "pong" in the video game chronology.)

I get the feeling that the actors / drivers were really just working through scripts written by others.

It was nice to get this exposure for EVs & Tesla.
Seems like they did some research on various EV topics before doing the show. Bringing up the reverse speed record, being able to drive indoors, desire for engine sound noise makers, etc.

It was good that they didn't stoop to showing an EV running out of charge, or someone waiting for a long time at a charging station. They mentioned charging overnight and being full in the morning which was good.

Basically pro EV with a few jabs here and there.

- - - Updated - - -

Have I missed something on the forums? At the 57 minute mark Rut says that Tesla has a pickup model in the pipeline. Not sure I get that body style choice.

http://www.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/teslas-future-pickup-trucks

Possible Electric Pickup Plant Powers Tesla Talks With Texas Legislature - PickupTrucks.com News

Last edited:
At one point without explanation, they say that EVs are not really ready yet (equating them to "pong" in the video game chronology.)
I thought that was a pretty decent analogy. Don't forget that despite the shortcomings, Pong blew people away when it came out and ushered in a revolution in gamaing. Look at where video games are now. We can only hope current EVs are like Pong.

I just watched it. They raise the legitimate concerns/limitations about EVs, but it is very positive overall. I'm glad they included the custom built drag vehicles to show just how powerful/quick a battery powered vehicle can be. The testing and review of the Model S were great for demonstrating how this EV is better than iconic performance and luxury cars.

Just saw this episode, (skipped ahead to the tesla part). Definitely a very positive review and not just raving about the acceleration - looked pretty good round the track against the merc, especially with the extra weight. Maybe I didn't watch it closely enough but I didn't really notice any negatives at all. Most reviewers try to addat least one or two critical points to add some balance but this seemed predominantly positive. One question I do have is about the color of the vehicle they were driving. It looked too dark to be grey but not exactly black either. I'm wondering if it was a trick of light or maybe a color we can't get in canada. Can anyone clarify? I thought this color looked great and I still have time to change the color on my order.

Felt like a Tesla commercial. Perhaps US Top Gear is trying to make up for UK Top Gear shenanigans....

Basically pro EV with a few jabs here and there.

Good review TEG. They really did do their homework. I don't think the different nation Top Gears have much to do with each other. Notice Rutlege's AMERICAN stance on the Tesla. It's a very important aspect of the show. USA USA! That theme benefited Tesla and not showing the desert-charge fear or long tailpipe mentions.You would not see such Americanism on the OZ or UK versions of TG. On the EV side they were also careful and left charging out of the equation by driving 80 miles and then charging overnight. As if it was normal, not exceptional.

That mall footage was the world's slowest chase. We know those cars can do drifts and spinouts. I bet the mall would not allow it. Sorry the Spark did not replace the Ford. I'm sure Tanner would like it's pickup better.

Franz has dropped the pickup hints a bunch. It's gonna happen someday.

On the MS review, I too would have like a Supercharger mention and a frunk shot. All that MS footage looked like it was in Southern California. More tech would have been nice with a center of gravity mention, a 40 to 60 test and a constant acceleration comparison.

I talked with Rut about his drive and he was truly impressed by his experience in the Tesla. He even called home to talk about it which apparently it is not something he normally does. He did have an issue with the lack of sound but we all know that that goes away with enough time behind the wheel and then other car's noises seem like a distraction. Tesla should loan him a car for two weeks.

Just saw this episode, (skipped ahead to the tesla part). Definitely a very positive review and not just raving about the acceleration - looked pretty good round the track against the merc, especially with the extra weight. Maybe I didn't watch it closely enough but I didn't really notice any negatives at all. Most reviewers try to addat least one or two critical points to add some balance but this seemed predominantly positive. One question I do have is about the color of the vehicle they were driving. It looked too dark to be grey but not exactly black either. I'm wondering if it was a trick of light or maybe a color we can't get in canada. Can anyone clarify? I thought this color looked great and I still have time to change the color on my order.

I disagree in terms of color...i think it was a wrap and the wheels were powder coated black....

He did have an issue with the lack of sound but we all know that that goes away with enough time behind the wheel and then other car's noises seem like a distraction.

I had that question once at a show. I responded that if the lack of sound was a problem, just turn up the audio.

I disagree in terms of color...i think it was a wrap and the wheels were powder coated black....
I don’t think this episode is great for judging colors. For instance, take a look at the sky in this shot of the Merc. There are all kinds of visual trickery going on...

daimler.jpg

full.jpg

wheel.jpg