Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S to be on Top Gear US.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Overall not bad, although I was reminded why Top Gear US is not something I regularly watch. :) I too would have loved to see Tanner drive the Spark EV!

If it had been a 5 lap race the S550 would have destroyed the Model S. It's quick for a lap or two (esp on a 1 mile track) but the gets slower and slower as the motor gets hot and the power limiter kicks in. I guess it doesn't really matter at the end of the day because there are no tracks with DC quick chargers at them. (except for maybe Tesla's test track in Fremont.) Hmmmm, that gets me thinking, Tesla should have a track day for owners on their track! :)

Model S. It's quick for a lap or two (esp on a 1 mile track) but the gets slower and slower as the motor gets hot and the power limiter kicks in.
I disagree with this characterization.

It gets slower (as a step function down) when the limiter kicks in. From there it's steady, not "slower and slower".

Just saw the episode. Overall pretty lame. Glad "they" (only one guy drove the Tesla) liked it. Racing through malls and neighborhoods just seemed stupid to me. And whining that the car isn't noisy enough. Give me a break. First and last time I watch that show.

It's available on demand or you can see it online here but you have to login with your cable provider credentials (VerizonFIOS, DirecTV, Optimum or Xfinity). Sorry, don't know if any of that applies to Canada.

Haven't had cable for 4 years as the terms crook or thief isn't good enough for the likes of them. :cursing: Might be the one industry more backward than automobiles when it comes to customer satisfaction.

I think what brian means is when tracking your car there are no "different levels of power limiting" that mnx is talking about. It's a sharp cut off to half power when a certain threshold is reached. The power does not gradually go down to half.

There may be different levels when the battery is cold or too full (regen/power gradually returns as battery warms up or discharge).

I was referring to track driving in my "stress" comment.

- - - Updated - - -

I think what brian means is when tracking your car there are no "different levels of power limiting" that mnx is talking about. It's a sharp cut off to half power when a certain threshold is reached. The power does not gradually go down to half.

There may be different levels when the battery is cold or too full (regen/power gradually returns as battery warms up or discharge).
Indeed. Crazy guy gets it. :)

I believe it will cut to 1/2 (~160kW) and then later reduce power even more. I believe that is what Doug_G is saying here: Model S on the Track - A Review

That power limit came on the second lap(!). It would pull power back to about 160 kW, which was still quite usable. That would last about ten minutes before I started turning into a "rolling chicane". If I did a slow lap it would get faster again, for a while. A better approach was to pull into the pits. After a minute the power limit would disappear from the speedometer screen. I'd wait several more minutes then head out for another few laps.

I believe it will cut to 1/2 (~160kW) and then later reduce power even more. I believe that is what Doug_G is saying here: Model S on the Track - A Review

Like this:

dupetadu.jpg

6asura6y.jpg

My takeaways from the episode:

1. Very positive towards Model S and TM. Wish they would have shown supercharging
2. Not very positive towards the entry level EV's, but they did all comment on the instant torque
3. Favorite comment by Rut as he gets into Model S, "I bet this is what the executive bathroom at Apple headquarters looks like" or maybe this one "its fast like a cheetah being chased by wasps on a rocket ship fast"

Here's a pic I took of the display during the stigs lap. Now that is a high average!

WP_20131113_008.jpg

Here's a pic I took of the display during the stigs lap. Now that is a high average!
Nah. That's nothin' to write home about.

1506 Wh/mi for 30 mi
Consumption_30Mile_1506.jpg

1750 Wh/mi for 5 mi
Consumption_05Mile_1750.jpg

As for instantaneous, I took a spin through my logs and I think my "instantaneous peaks" from the streaming API are:
  • Power: 363 kW (@ 59mph) [Teslive Sunday, 2013/07/14 - memory card ate the video so not sure what activity]
  • Consumption: 10,667 Wh/mi (224 kW @ 21mph) [Autocross, 2013/06/23]

Last edited: