Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S to Grid, coming any day?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Using a $100K car to shuttle $10 of power from a supercharger to a house doesn't seem... efficient. I can't imagine it'd be a problem at scale, and if it were, enabling car to home power could come with caveats to eliminate the problem. Make users agree to limit supercharging at the same charger, or pay for supercharging near they live... it's an easy problem to overcome.

You could have a limit on the number of stationary battery cycles as well to overcome the warranty problem of wearing the battery out.

I think most of us just want it for emergencies, and it'd be really nice to have an option beyond stringing power cord to a 150 watt inverter in the 12v outlet.

May not seam efficient use of time, but consider the following -

1. 10-25 minute wait at Costco gas stations to save $0.10 per gallon.

2. Lines at superchargers with cars that have proper charging available at home. Agree this isn’t all folks, but some have admitted it.

3. I’ve moved my jogging location to use $5/month unlimited chargers available in the city.

Their terms arguably allow unlimited charging. They didn’t want to touch it before, they aren’t going to now.

As a backup, hardware is required on the house side. As time of use arbitrage, hardware may be required on the house side to avoid sending power out. It isn’t allowed on all utility agreements.

May not seam efficient use of time, but consider the following -

1. 10-25 minute wait at Costco gas stations to save $0.10 per gallon.

2. Lines at superchargers with cars that have proper charging available at home. Agree this isn’t all folks, but some have admitted it.

3. I’ve moved my jogging location to use $5/month unlimited chargers available in the city.

Their terms arguably allow unlimited charging. They didn’t want to touch it before, they aren’t going to now.

My point is to enable car to home power, you'd have to give up local unlimited supercharging. Seems like a fair trade off. But it's only one of several possible solutions.

Yes, people can be very inefficient when trying to save a few pennies. But that behaviour is easily countered by charging for local supercharging. The bigger problem is wearing out the battery - which is why you'd either have to modify the warranty terms, or limit number of stationary cycles.

Reactions: Swift