Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S to Model 3 movers : what are your experiences ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have both and I agree with lot of what has already been said. I do prefer Model S for longer trips because the ride is much more comfortable. I use Model 3 for zipping around town because it is smaller.

Why are you thinking of switching to Model 3?

Last edited:
If you are going to be using booster seats in the 3 anytime soon a must buy is a set of seatbelt bracket extenders. My kids have a tough time buckling in the 3 because the buckles sit down in the seat.

The Model 3 manual warns specifically not to use seat belt extenders with car or booster seats. You may want to check the manual of your specific booster to see if they are mentioned as safe or not.

• Informative
Reactions: suraj1194
I find the S much more solid and a much better highway ride than the 3, which rides more like a go-cart. So I find myself constantly selecting my rock solid, pre-AP, large frunk, 80 amp, free Supercharging S, over my 3, since even though I paid for AP in the 3, I barely use it. I can see if I was driving in bumper to bumper traffic like California's highways picking the 3 to save my sanity, but my highway drives are mostly barren of vehicles, and I really look forward to driving, not watching the car drive. When I can get in the back of my 3 and it FSDs me around, and to my cabin, I'll be taking it, but I doubt that will ever happen in my lifetime, and I'm only in my 50's. I just don't buy all the hype anymore --- too many variables involved and our tech isn't nearly there yet (how many freezes in my S and now my 3 and they can't even get podcasts to play correctly) but I hope I'm proved wrong.

Last edited:
I have both and I agree with lot of what has already been said. I do prefer Model S for longer trips because the ride is much more comfortable. I use Model 3 for zipping around town because it is smaller.

Why are you thinking of switching to Model 3?
Partly because I'm going to go from being a long range commuter to having a short commute around town. The S is a spectacular grand touring sedan - we can pack a weekend's worth of stuff, including everything a toddler needs, and easily have lots of space left over. I'm fine with AP1. With v9 , I know AP2 is really becoming the enhanced AP it was always advertised to be, but AP1 has been a reliable feature since day 1 , and the new functionality in AP2 isn't yet worth it for me.

Downsizing was the primary motive driving this interest. Considering the number of miles I have on the S, I may just choose to keep it.

Reactions: abasile