TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model S to the Nürburgring Next Week!

Discussion in 'Model S' started by wenkan, Sep 5, 2019.

?

Would Elon Announce a Nürburgring Visit Without Already Knowing the S Would Beat the Taycan’s Time?

Poll closed Thursday at 6:08 PM.
  1. Yes

60.2%
  2. No

39.8%
  1. FreqFlyer

FreqFlyer Member

Its a given now, a Porsche Taycan will be visiting Laguna Secca.

2. PhantomX

PhantomX Member

Agreed, good aero package is important for Ring since cornering speeds are very high. Can't just rely on mechanical grips if one wants to go very fast. And good suspension tuning is important to maximize tire contact patch but at the same time minimize pitch changes to maximize ground effect. Would be interesting to see what aero update Tesla puts on the Model S and how that would affect range if they do sell them as track package to the general public.

3. PhantomX

PhantomX Member

That only works if the tires are within mechanical grip limits from inertial loads of the car. You need to increase the normal loads on the tires to push beyond that. Only way to do that properly is with downforce, otherwise you'll end up causing negative handling effect to other parts of the car.

• Like x 1
  4. PWlakewood

PWlakewood Member

Gotta say it with a lisp though.

5. CarlK

CarlK Active Member

A lot of things likely are software limited to preserve battery life. Those will not be necessary since there is no need to have the batter to last 200,000 miles on the ring.

6. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  7. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

#448 MP3Mike, Sep 11, 2019 at 3:54 PM
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 4:54 PM
    It looks like it is a new trim level: P100D+

Tesla-Model-S-Nürburgring-preparation-3.jpg

So I guess there goes the complaints about it being a one-off custom version for the run. And I suspect that it will become orderable after they complete the run.

• Informative x 5
    • Love x 5
    • Like x 2
  8. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

Good eyes!

• Like x 1
  9. Saghost

Saghost Well-Known Member

Interesting. Tesla had moved away from the P100D designation for the last several months - we've all got just Dual Motor with a red bar instead.

10. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

With so many variables on the Ring, comparisons for record are rarely perfectly equal.

It could be that Elon is using this opportunity to get a ton of publicity, while at the same time perhaps fleshing out some ideas for a pending track capable limited edition Model S (and later Model 3)

Nobody at Tesla is claiming anything about these Ring outings as competing with Porsche, that their cars are not track prepared. They are just showing up, and will most likely report what they have accomplished sometime after the event.

Most everyone agrees, that competition among EV's will improve the offerings from all the manufacturers.

Stay tuned.

(edit). Just saw the P100D+ post above.
    Maximum plad still in reserve :)

11. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

Oh fudge!
    What if it is triple motor? Roaster intent dual motor rear drive unit, but with only a 100kWh pack instead of 200kWh?

• Like x 1
  12. Saghost

Saghost Well-Known Member

Then why isn't it a P100T+ badge?

I suggested that dual P3 rear drive unit/roadster testbed theory a ways upthread, if they're making a new serious performance variant. (In answer to someone suggesting Tesla might make a new ~360 kW PMSR rear drive unit.)

• Like x 1
  13. Cherry Wine

Cherry Wine Active Member

I thought that rear end looked a little beefier! Very interesting.

14. Electric Dream

Look at the other photos. Obviously larger brakes...

• Like x 1
  15. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

D for dual (rear) + for front
    And it is still only two drive units.
    Or their badge supplier can't keep a secret...

16. dk10438

dk10438 Member

Yeah you’re right. Much bigger rotors and they look ceramic. Maybe Tesla won’t look foolish after all

17. Magellan55

Magellan55 Member

It makes some sense that Elon had a track rat in the works, and that this isn't just a spur-of-the-moment attempt to one-up the Taycan with a stock Raven. Cars running at several racetracks. Like a lot of others here, my guess is this is a soon-to-be orderable variant. And very likely delivered to customers in the US before the first Taycan is. I don't think it's bigger motors though - mainly suspension/brakes/wheels/bodywork. Unless they created a different rear motor to manage heat. And track mode SW!

• Like x 2
  18. billkatz

billkatz Member

My race car (Titan Mk 6 Formula Ford) was the best handling car I ever drove - perfectly neutral through the corners - but it was a purpose built racecar: seating for one, full loss electrical system, 6 gallon fuel tank. Useful for nothing else.

I've also owned a Porsche 944 and a BMW E46 M3. Both excellent twisty-road street cars and fun every day drivers.

The Tesla S (only a 75D) seems more capable on the road than either the BMW or Porsche. Fun on twisty roads, and the best acceleration I've ever had. But it's not really a fair comparison if you take price into account.

I've never chosen to drive any of my street cars on the track. I don't like doing body work, and don't like being on a creeper under a street car. On my Titan I could lift every part - even the frame or the block. It was just so easy to work on.

• Informative x 1
  19. dark cloud

dark cloud Member

I agree; rotors don't look like steel, they look rather dark like a carbon ceramic. That's not cheating, is it? :D

Screen Shot 2019-09-11 at 5.21.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-09-11 at 5.28.16 PM.png

images-1.jpeg

• Like x 2