Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S to the Nürburgring Next Week!

Would Elon Announce a Nürburgring Visit Without Already Knowing the S Would Beat the Taycan’s Time?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well yes downforce is important on the Nordschleife, front and rear.

If you add downforce only at the rear you will notice understeer through Flugplatz, Schwedenkreuz, Kesselchen, Klostertal, etc.....you name it.

Furthermore, diffusors are not really working that well because the track is too bumby. This is the reason why you see massive wings and splitters on many fast Nordschleife cars.

Still, you can set fast laps without any downforce as long as the Aero is basically zero lift front and rear. I believe the Taycan is well balanced but noticeable downforce is unlikely.

Agreed, good aero package is important for Ring since cornering speeds are very high. Can't just rely on mechanical grips if one wants to go very fast. And good suspension tuning is important to maximize tire contact patch but at the same time minimize pitch changes to maximize ground effect. Would be interesting to see what aero update Tesla puts on the Model S and how that would affect range if they do sell them as track package to the general public.

Model S-Attacke auf den Taycan-Rekord: Tesla entert die Nordschleife

loky on Twitter

upload_2019-9-11_17-56-30.png

Last edited:
It looks like it is a new trim level: P100D+

View attachment 453509

So I guess there goes the complaints about it being a one-off custom version for the run. And I suspect that it will become orderable after they complete the run.

Interesting. Tesla had moved away from the P100D designation for the last several months - we've all got just Dual Motor with a red bar instead.

With so many variables on the Ring, comparisons for record are rarely perfectly equal.

It could be that Elon is using this opportunity to get a ton of publicity, while at the same time perhaps fleshing out some ideas for a pending track capable limited edition Model S (and later Model 3)

Nobody at Tesla is claiming anything about these Ring outings as competing with Porsche, that their cars are not track prepared. They are just showing up, and will most likely report what they have accomplished sometime after the event.

Most everyone agrees, that competition among EV's will improve the offerings from all the manufacturers.

Stay tuned.

(edit). Just saw the P100D+ post above.
Maximum plad still in reserve :)

Oh fudge!
What if it is triple motor? Roaster intent dual motor rear drive unit, but with only a 100kWh pack instead of 200kWh?

Then why isn't it a P100T+ badge?

I suggested that dual P3 rear drive unit/roadster testbed theory a ways upthread, if they're making a new serious performance variant. (In answer to someone suggesting Tesla might make a new ~360 kW PMSR rear drive unit.)

Reactions: bhzmark
Then why isn't it a P100T+ badge?

I suggested that dual P3 rear drive unit/roadster testbed theory a ways upthread, if they're making a new serious performance variant. (In answer to someone suggesting Tesla might make a new ~360 kW PMSR rear drive unit.)

D for dual (rear) + for front
And it is still only two drive units.
Or their badge supplier can't keep a secret...

It makes some sense that Elon had a track rat in the works, and that this isn't just a spur-of-the-moment attempt to one-up the Taycan with a stock Raven. Cars running at several racetracks. Like a lot of others here, my guess is this is a soon-to-be orderable variant. And very likely delivered to customers in the US before the first Taycan is. I don't think it's bigger motors though - mainly suspension/brakes/wheels/bodywork. Unless they created a different rear motor to manage heat. And track mode SW!

Reactions: 5JMJ and MP3Mike
You have a tesla now? What are your thoughts on the Tesla VS other cars in terms of performance?
My race car (Titan Mk 6 Formula Ford) was the best handling car I ever drove - perfectly neutral through the corners - but it was a purpose built racecar: seating for one, full loss electrical system, 6 gallon fuel tank. Useful for nothing else.

I've also owned a Porsche 944 and a BMW E46 M3. Both excellent twisty-road street cars and fun every day drivers.

The Tesla S (only a 75D) seems more capable on the road than either the BMW or Porsche. Fun on twisty roads, and the best acceleration I've ever had. But it's not really a fair comparison if you take price into account.

I've never chosen to drive any of my street cars on the track. I don't like doing body work, and don't like being on a creeper under a street car. On my Titan I could lift every part - even the frame or the block. It was just so easy to work on.

• Informative
Reactions: humbaba