TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model S to the Nürburgring Next Week!

Discussion in 'Model S' started by wenkan, Sep 5, 2019.

?

Would Elon Announce a Nürburgring Visit Without Already Knowing the S Would Beat the Taycan’s Time?

Poll closed Thursday at 6:08 PM.
  1. Yes

60.2%
  2. No

39.8%
  1. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

Not as long as they are available to order with the car, the Taycan had carbon ceramic as well.

• Like x 2
  2. PhantomX

PhantomX Member

Here a question though. If this special edition end up being equal to Taycan on the Ring but also in term of reduced efficiency, then wouldn't last week's argument go away? Or worst, this car is less efficient but not quite as fast as Taycan. Wouldn't that actually go against Model S?

I think Tesla should have instead go after a full luxurious interior and take the EQS customers before that car is released.

3. dark cloud

dark cloud Member

Bigger carbon brakes, fatter tires, better cooling, stiffer suspension, and charge another 20K for it and have the biggest margin of any Tesla. And it will sell out.

And then they should stick it to Porsche and call it a N100D. N for Nurburgring.

• Like x 3
  4. PhantomX

PhantomX Member

I think it has to be a minimum $50k option. Using parts price for a 911GT3 (likely similar size to Taycan Turbo areS), tires are $2000+, carbon ceramic discs are $20k+, lightweight wheels are probably $2k to $3k. Plus the profit margin needed, I got to think it's $50k+ options. I do think it'll sold out right away though, but it'll be out of reach for most probably.

• Like x 2
  5. Magellan55

Magellan55 Member

Think of how many P90D / P100D owners (maybe a few P3D's too?) would trade in their cars for this monster, especially if it has a higher top end and even lower 0-60. so what if the range is reduced a bit - it will still have more range than any other EV, and likely stay >300 miles. Should boost Q4 sales!

6. VT_EE

VT_EE Active Member

It could also have a totally new battery and cooling system. This is exciting!

7. PhantomX

PhantomX Member

• Love x 3
    • Like x 1
  8. wenkan

wenkan Member

So 3s faster than a F90 M5, I would bet it can do 7:40 on the ring. All those concerns should be settled. The pictures shows P100D+ has ceramic brakes.

9. PhantomX

PhantomX Member

So is this more of 4-door version of Roadster? Perhaps a brand new Model S hiding under current body?

10. bhzmark

bhzmark Supporting Member

" plaid powertrain" !

11. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

They are finally going Plaid!

12. Lhshockey24

Lhshockey24 Member

Okay holy crap!
    1. That’s a model 3 steering wheel
    2. That does NOT sound like any motors I’ve heard and I’ve driven a P3D and new Raven
    3. That regen sounds HARD and the brakes are cooking hard too.

• Like x 2
  13. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Voltage makes me tingle.

And that record time was set with an amateur driver.

See guys? Elon ain’t stupid.

• Like x 1
  14. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Voltage makes me tingle.

I think at least a few seconds faster than that even.

15. bhzmark

bhzmark Supporting Member

Screenshot_20190911-221233_Chrome.jpg

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  16. Lhshockey24

Lhshockey24 Member

• Like x 1
  17. croman

croman Active Member

This is Tesla's latest source of margin heavy revenue but it's a year away. P100D+ with plaid powertrain and plaid mode upgrade. Probably restore that 165k high end. Leave current performance as middle ground.

18. dark cloud

dark cloud Member

Put Nico in the drivers seat and it would be at least 1 second quicker.

• Like x 2
  19. Ben D

Ben D Member

for the record, the Laguna Seca time for these new pre-production development Model S (assuming it was the same as the one sent to nurburgring) , was 1.36.555, with an amateur driver. So VERY QUICK for a 4 door sedan. Tesla on Twitter

• Like x 1
  20. PhantomX

PhantomX Member

I think the only question would be what tires they use. If Pilot Sports 4s, then it is apple to apple against M5. If Cup2, then that's a few seconds of advantage over PS4S. But Randy Pobst should be able to get a few seconds more out of this package regardless.

• Like x 2