Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S to the Nürburgring Next Week!

Would Elon Announce a Nürburgring Visit Without Already Knowing the S Would Beat the Taycan’s Time?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This test in no way reflects real world possibilities, nor was it meant to. The Taycan test at Nardo was for endurance purposes. It proves the Porsche powertrain and battery can handle constant high output and charging.

I think this really points out the different design philosophy between Tesla and Porsche. Tesla is about efficiency, everyday performance, and converting people from ICE to EV. Porsche is about luxury and high performance driving experience and finding a new powertrain paradigm to go fast. I think it's good that Tesla is going after track records and gain experiences, but I hope Tesla doesn't lose sight of its core mission and end up putting out super expensive cars that most can't afford. I would rather them prioritize service experience improvement and introduction of the pickup trucks.

From Page 27 Porsche Taycan Brochure

IV. Drive power
Extremely sporty driving or charging at a fast-charging pedestal can
result in an increase in battery temperature and, therefore, in temporarily reduced drive power. Due to
the physical environment, the maximum power required to achieve the specified acceleration values
can be repeatedly produced, but usually not consecutively.

Looks like Porsche isn't immune to power throttle due to heat. It'll be interesting to see how many times they can constantly lap the track.

This test in no way reflects real world possibilities, nor was it meant to. The Taycan test at Nardo was for endurance purposes. It proves the Porsche powertrain and battery can handle constant high output and charging.

But they are claiming it's a 24 hr distance record for an ev, and people are comparing it to Bjorn Nyland's attempt on public streets. The implication being that the Porsche is more capable, when in fact it was just the venue.

Looks like there is a bit of understeer and the suspension is not controlling the body motion properly. It's not surprising though if they have never tuned the car on the Ring. Question is whether they can tune it without major mod to the suspension geometry since it probably needs change to camber and toe angles besides damping and spring rate.

But they are claiming it's a 24 hr distance record for an ev, and people are comparing it to Bjorn Nyland's attempt on public streets. The implication being that the Porsche is more capable, when in fact it was just the venue.

Are they? It seems to me that they are underscoring the conditions and results of their endurance testing. I'm not seeing where they are claiming a distance record...

Taycan prototype convinces at endurance run in Nardò

Looks like there is a bit of understeer and the suspension is not controlling the body motion properly. It's not surprising though if they have never tuned the car on the Ring. Question is whether they can tune it without major mod to the suspension geometry since it probably needs change to camber and toe angles besides damping and spring rate.
Why were there yellow lights? Is that a European standard or yellow for braking (generally) or is it indicative or regen braking?

I think you are getting caught up in marketing speak. Maybe take a moment and breathe?

I know it's dark in there, but it's all marketing. Porsche was highlighting the only performance parameter they thought they had over Tesla, endurance. Do you think they would have ballyhooed the numbers if they came in behind the P85D they were bench marking ? The problem for them is the model 3.

Last edited: