Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S total coolant failure

melmark

Mar 1, 2021
social
So after 2 runs of ludicrous plus starts (total of 20 seconds) I arrived home with my 2020 P100D with 6k miles to hear the coolant fan roaring. Ok I've heard that before. But then later I see massive amounts of "fluid" running down the driveway and stains on the street and around the corner after taking the car for a short store run. WARNING! Coolant failure! Power reduced!

So this was not a small leak, but a total loss of coolant. What gives on a new 2020?

2101Guy

Jan 6, 2020
USA
Warning: someone here recently destroyed their battery pack due to overheating after coolant loss. Not sure if they kept driving for extended time after the coolant leak or what but be cautious

• Helpful
Reactions: TSLA Pilot

BigNick

Disaffected Member
Dec 3, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA
Warning: someone here recently destroyed their battery pack due to overheating after coolant loss. Not sure if they kept driving for extended time after the coolant leak or what but be cautious
Shouldn't the BMS prevent this from happening by severely limiting the power (maybe 25 to 40 kW) or just shutting the car down?

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC