TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S Traction Control

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by vfx, Jul 16, 2012.

1. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

So what do we know?

Anyone drive with it off?

Where is the switch?

Drifting?

2. derekt75

derekt75 Member

On my MBZ SLK32, if the wheels start to slip when traction control is on, the car cuts power to the wheels. This is highly annoying. If the traction control isn't on, it's easy to spin the car all the way around. This is highly dangerous.
    On the Model S Performance, I gunned the gas while taking a right at a stop sign. The wheels were slipping, but the car was completely under control and the acceleration was terrific. I assume traction control was on during the test drive. If so, they did it perfectly, and I wouldn't ever want to turn it off.

Derek
    P6852

3. dtich

dtich #P708

i went to push the button to turn it off in my test drive (hawthorne/la) and the co-pilot practically jumped out of her seat saying 'no' don't do that, i canceled the request at the confirmation prompt. i really wanted to feel what it was doing. cause i like it off in my bmws. but, will have to see how they implemented it...

4. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

There have been a number of Roadsters hurt while being driven with the traction control off. I have done it in carparks and skid pans, but will never do it on a street. There's no payback.

5. teslasguy

teslasguy MSP P#1117

Yeah, I asked if I could turn off the traction control to see how it drifted in turns (DC event).
    Got an immediate and emphatic "There will be no drifting or turning off the traction control today".
    Actually, I would have been pretty surprised if they had let me do it.
    Very risky and dangerous in the wrong hands, and they have no idea of anyone's real experience level.

6. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I'm kind of surprised they didn't disable the TC setting when they set up the ~75mph limit.

7. MikeK

MikeK R#129, TSLA shareholder

Why? You could spin the car out at 5MPH by stomping the accelerator while turning a corner.

8. Tommy

Tommy Member

I interpreted brianman comment as disabling the on/off setting (function) of the TC, not the TC itself. In other words, the TC would be always on during the Tesla events.

9. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

@Tommy - Indeed.

10. MikeK

MikeK R#129, TSLA shareholder

Ah! Thanks, sorry, I totally misread that.

11. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I have no idea why anyone would want to turn off traction control. The burnout videos going around seem to me to be something you outgrow at about 18.

12. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Eighteen year-olds buy cars too. Even if they are not well-off enough to buy a Tesla, imprinting that electric motors have burnout capability is important to future sales. (and a validation when their parents buy one)

13. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

14. William3

William3 Member

In the video it looked like only 1 tire was spinning. Does it look like both tires are spinning to any of you guys?

15. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

Watched in in HD a few times. I think they're both spinning.

16. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

I've done it. Yes, it is wasteful of tire tread, but it is fun to pretend to be a 16-year old every once in a while. You can reliably smoke both tires with traction control off.

As for a reason to disable traction control, my driving instructor demonstrated to me how putting the car in to a turn at its limits on the track, you get a much smoother overdrive, rear wheel drift with the traction control off. With it on, things are much more jerky. For me in normal street driving, I will leave traction control on!

17. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

I would think TC would give better off-the-line times.

18. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

Better off the line times, but not better times through a corner.

19. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

That's what the Stig should do/ Start TC and flip it off before the first turn.