Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Trade-in heads up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just want to give everyone a heads up here. I had Tesla value my 2017 100D as a trade in (AP2.0, cloth seats, only options Blue+EAP) with 53k miles at $40,500 on a trade in. I thought it was a real lowball, and took it to Carmax who gave me $46,000. Only downside is it takes 10 days for their check to clear. Probably was worth $52,000 private party, but I took Carmax to avoid the hassle. Anyway, the point is - Tesla's trade in valuation was horrible, as Carmax is notorious for lowballing themselves!

KBB trade in was $48-54k for Good, $46-52k for fair. Mine was borderline between the two, ran fine but some cosmetic dings that would have resulted in haggling private party. In addition, I'm not sure KBB is fully incorporating the recent $5k price cut on new Model S's into their valuations either.

Just FYI!

Taking delivery of my LR+ in just a few hours! It may be one of the last Model S's to come with Free Supercharging. We will see.

• Informative
Reactions: GeoX750
I just had the opposite happen. Tesla $7k more than Carmax on a late 17 100D. I don't think Carmax knows how to value the upgrades like FSD, etc.
That's a lot like saying that Genghis Khan was responsible for 40mil deaths so by comparison Hitler wasn't that bad of a guy. Both were still probably $20k less than you could have got for it. The low-ball offers that both CarMax & Tesla throw out would be hilarious if people weren't rewarding their poor behavior by accepting them.

That's a lot like saying that Genghis Khan was responsible for 40mil deaths so by comparison Hitler wasn't that bad of a guy. Both were still probably $20k less than you could have got for it. The low-ball offers that both CarMax & Tesla throw out would be hilarious if people weren't rewarding their poor behavior by accepting them.

Not sure how I could have gotten $66k for a car with 53k miles that is new now for $75k, with air and adaptive suspension (mine had coils), premium interior (mine had textile seats), 85 miles more range (including degradation on my old car), 0.5s more acceleration, AP 3.0 vs 2.0, premium sound, cold weather package, MCU2, no more warranty, etc. My car had its share of scratches dents and other blemishes as well, and the front seat was super squeaky. Only thing I had that isn't stock on the new vehicle is EAP. I am sure I could have gotten more if I was a bit more hard up for cash and a bit more patient. I think if it wasn't for the pandemic, I would have tried, but this was just a lot easier.

Still, I paid $75k for a new S with all those extra features, who would pay $66k for a car without them and 53k miles?

I will repeat, I think I could have gotten, maybe, $55k MAX, but likely $52k, had I really tried. As a trade in, Carmax did fine for me considering how damn easy it was.

Not sure how I could have gotten $66k for a car with 53k miles that is new now for $75k, with air and adaptive suspension (mine had coils), premium interior (mine had textile seats), 85 miles more range (including degradation on my old car), 0.5s more acceleration, AP 3.0 vs 2.0, premium sound, cold weather package, MCU2, no more warranty, etc. My car had its share of scratches dents and other blemishes as well, and the front seat was super squeaky. Only thing I had that isn't stock on the new vehicle is EAP. I am sure I could have gotten more if I was a bit more hard up for cash and a bit more patient. I think if it wasn't for the pandemic, I would have tried, but this was just a lot easier.

Still, I paid $75k for a new S with all those extra features, who would pay $66k for a car without them and 53k miles?

I will repeat, I think I could have gotten, maybe, $55k MAX, but likely $52k, had I really tried. As a trade in, Carmax did fine for me considering how damn easy it was.
Congrats on the new ride!

Reactions: whttiger25
any one have luck with CARVANA or other web offers?. My lease is coming up on my 2017 90D ( red) lowish miles 29K fully loaded for the day and I bought FSD later .. am going to go and get the MCU1, - MCU2 and HDW3 mod done then maybe trade it in/sell it . I am wondering if third party is the only way to go with those features adds from the original to get something for those

any one have luck with CARVANA or other web offers?. My lease is coming up on my 2017 90D ( red) lowish miles 29K fully loaded for the day and I bought FSD later .. am going to go and get the MCU1, - MCU2 and HDW3 mod done then maybe trade it in/sell it . I am wondering if third party is the only way to go with those features adds from the original to get something for those

What will you be asking for it? (Just curious, not interested). Im in Va with same car. (2017 90D). I Just ordered the FSD and will go MCU2 later this year. I have a total of 5k miles on it now.

But if I were you, Id first try selling it on this site in the FOr Sale section. YOu'll get higher than trade in/third party and the buyer will pay less than to a dealer/tesla

What will you be asking for it? (Just curious, not interested). Im in Va with same car. (2017 90D). I Just ordered the FSD and will go MCU2 later this year. I have a total of 5k miles on it now.

But if I were you, Id first try selling it on this site in the FOr Sale section. YOu'll get higher than trade in/third party and the buyer will pay less than to a dealer/tesla

The for sale section of this forum is about the last place I'd attempt to sell my Tesla and that's from someone who has bought and sold 5 used Tesla Model S's over the years. This site's marketplace subforum is a toxic cesspool where bullies run the playground and the teachers are too afraid to discipline them for whatever reason. I highly recommend Craiglist & Autotrader as that's about where I've had the most luck selling.

Considering that I just picked up a very nicely equipped 2016 Model S 90D (Ocean Blue, pretty much with everything except Air Suspension and Premium Audio) from Tesla in Vancouver, BC for USD 38,000, I can't see that they would typically give high trade-in valuations - considering that the price levels in Canada are typically higher than in the USA and importing a Tesla is still an issue. Car had 37,000 miles on it and came with a two year warranty from Tesla (plus the four years remaining on the battery, of course). Typical used prices I have seen around here are easily $20,000 higher.

The drawbacks: you have to deal with Tesla, there cannot be a worse dealership on the planet than Tesla in Vancouver. Cars are barely cleaned, certainly not detailed. Also, I have to add about $1,000 for new tires - the ones on the car were original with 37,000 miles on them and barely street-legal anymore. With more availability from other brands, I doubt I would buy from Tesla again - based on my experiences here.

Considering that I just picked up a very nicely equipped 2016 Model S 90D (Ocean Blue, pretty much with everything except Air Suspension and Premium Audio) from Tesla in Vancouver, BC for USD 38,000, I can't see that they would typically give high trade-in valuations - considering that the price levels in Canada are typically higher than in the USA and importing a Tesla is still an issue. Car had 37,000 miles on it and came with a two year warranty from Tesla (plus the four years remaining on the battery, of course). Typical used prices I have seen around here are easily $20,000 higher.

The drawbacks: you have to deal with Tesla, there cannot be a worse dealership on the planet than Tesla in Vancouver. Cars are barely cleaned, certainly not detailed. Also, I have to add about $1,000 for new tires - the ones on the car were original with 37,000 miles on them and barely street-legal anymore. With more availability from other brands, I doubt I would buy from Tesla again - based on my experiences here.

Wow, I gotta say that's an amazing deal. I always thought the air suspension was a gimmick. I declined to add it to my second S, a 2017 100D, built months before air suspension became standard. The new adaptive air on my new Raven is great, but the first version was more about raising the car to prevent scraping and adding a little bit of efficiency by lowering on the highway. Didn't think it did much in my first car, a 2016 90D. To me wasn't worth $2500 especially considering reports.I think the coil suspension has a nice feel. I totaled my 2016, which is why I went from a 2016 to a 2017 - but at the time I felt lucky because they had taken away free unlimited supercharger, and my sales agent emailed me saying I was lucky, they had added it back and it would be included in my car. LOL.

Also didnt' get the premium audio, but I always thought the audio system needed an overhaul regardless and I was gonna put $$$ into that aftermarket so no reason to buy the upgraded audio.

Anyway, that 90D seems like a great deal. They are more expensive here (SoCal) for sure, maybe there are inventory issues up there? i.e. too much.

Anyway congrats on a great car!

Upgrade the MCU and just call it a day. Theres no benefit in upgrading vehicle that looks the exact same on the outside. Maybe if they changed the body a bit... But these vehicles are the exact same when you update the MCU. Little too late now but good to know vehicles drop like a bag of dicks.

Wow, I gotta say that's an amazing deal. [...]

Anyway, that 90D seems like a great deal. They are more expensive here (SoCal) for sure, maybe there are inventory issues up there? i.e. too much.

Anyway congrats on a great car!

Thank you, very happy with the car so far. Battery appears to hold 96+% of original capacity and there are very little signs of wear and tear (except for those tires). Also, the first owner apparently had Tesla take care of all the small issues typical for new Teslas, everything fits properly and works great.

The odd thing is: there is literally zero used stock at Tesla in Vancouver at the moment. Only theory I have is that they wanted the stock cleared before the end of the calendar quarter.

Just thought of one more drawback - Tesla removes free unlimited supercharging on trade in from used cars that used to have it attached to the car (as opposed to the owner).

Just thought of one more drawback - Tesla removes free unlimited supercharging on trade in from used cars that used to have it attached to the car (as opposed to the owner).
And the Premium Data for life too. Private party with some sort of warranty (if that's what you want) is the way to go these days. You can also see and drive the car and own it that day. I had one used Model S I bought from Tesla take 6 months to get title work in order to register and get plates on it. I just bought a private party P85DL that I found one night, drove to Denver the next day and handed the guy cash for as he signed the title and drove away 100% owner an hour after seeing it for the first time. Easiest transaction ever. Tesla can't do that for a used car nor do they care to. Most used cars sold by Tesla will take you around a month to take delivery of from the time you put a deposit down on it.

Just want to give everyone a heads up here. I had Tesla value my 2017 100D as a trade in (AP2.0, cloth seats, only options Blue+EAP) with 53k miles at $40,500 on a trade in. I thought it was a real lowball, and took it to Carmax who gave me $46,000. Only downside is it takes 10 days for their check to clear. Probably was worth $52,000 private party, but I took Carmax to avoid the hassle. Anyway, the point is - Tesla's trade in valuation was horrible, as Carmax is notorious for lowballing themselves!

KBB trade in was $48-54k for Good, $46-52k for fair. Mine was borderline between the two, ran fine but some cosmetic dings that would have resulted in haggling private party. In addition, I'm not sure KBB is fully incorporating the recent $5k price cut on new Model S's into their valuations either.

Just FYI!

Taking delivery of my LR+ in just a few hours! It may be one of the last Model S's to come with Free Supercharging. We will see.

Wow thanks for the heads up. I have almost the same car with one or two packages, I can't imagine my value being too far off from yours.

Mine is a $110k MSRP (discounted to $95k) on a 3 year lease with $65k residual. I'm perfectly happy with the car, but with recent price drops and improvements, I dont think I'd pay $65k+tax for a car that has a market value in the mid/high 40's esp considering a 2020 LR can be had for $75k lol.

Wow thanks for the heads up. I have almost the same car with one or two packages, I can't imagine my value being too far off from yours.

Mine is a $110k MSRP (discounted to $95k) on a 3 year lease with $65k residual. I'm perfectly happy with the car, but with recent price drops and improvements, I dont think I'd pay $65k+tax for a car that has a market value in the mid/high 40's esp considering a 2020 LR can be had for $75k lol.

my MSRP was $99.7k inc delivery, $1000 referral bonus = $98.7k. Adjusted for tax rebates $92k.

Anyway as I said above I do think I could have gotten $50k or more private party. I just wasn’t willing to do the work. “Market Value” has significant variance in used cars I suppose.

Just FYI!

Thinking about going this route also... Been trying to sell my White S75 with 63k miles privately for a few months now and no luck. I even tried asking the person in the Fremont Factory showroon and redirected me to Carmax that I might get a better offer than Tesla lol.

Which Carmax in the Bay Area did you go to?

Thinking about going this route also... Been trying to sell my White S75 with 63k miles privately for a few months now and no luck. I even tried asking the person in the Fremont Factory showroon and redirected me to Carmax that I might get a better offer than Tesla lol.

Which Carmax in the Bay Area did you go to?
I'm actually down in San Diego for the duration of Covid, went to the Kearny Mesa location.

Just FYI!

When I traded in my RX450h for a model S, Tesla took Carmax trade in value, which was a few thousand over Tesla’s.