Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Trade-in heads up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla's automated Trade-In does not take into account your mileage or car condition. It is just basically the wholesale auction price of that model and year of car. They will not lose money on the averages, and it is offered just a service, which you pay for with lower prices being offered. I got $10,000 more for my car, with average trade in values at both CarMax and my local dealer. A Tesla trade in is very easy though, but you are paying for it.

• Helpful
Reactions: serendipitous
Those who are coming out best on this front, are those who bought base/entry S variants with the full tax credit, including Supercharging, lifetime data and the legacy 8yr warranty. There was a purchase floor for these new at about 70-75K. If you did not enjoy an inventory discount on your vehicle, go lighter on options, and don't have at least a EAP and AP 2.0; it is 'cheaper to keep er'.

Those with purchases prices north of 90K and mileage above the average annual should carefully evaluate the financial impact of a trade unless it really won't work for their needs. Getting a S75D for roughly 60K new on an adjusted basis softens the blow considerably. These cars will really begin to payoff between year 5 and 8 especially if you are a higher mileage driver. At 60K or less one really can't feel bad even considering all the subsequent pricing shenanigans. 90/100K? You definitely have a legitimate concern.

my MSRP was $99.7k inc delivery, $1000 referral bonus = $98.7k. Adjusted for tax rebates $92k.

Anyway as I said above I do think I could have gotten $50k or more private party. I just wasn’t willing to do the work. “Market Value” has significant variance in used cars I suppose.

I think you did really really well, my car is also a 2017 P100DL with 23K miles and every single option including FSD, iit is in excellent condition with new arachnid rims and tires and MCU2 upgrade with HW3 and I only got a offer of 49k at carmax, haha im afraid to see what they offer me at Tesla.

( sticker price was 162K )

I think you did really really well, my car is also a 2017 P100DL with 23K miles and every single option including FSD, iit is in excellent condition with new arachnid rims and tires and MCU2 upgrade with HW3 and I only got a offer of 49k at carmax, haha im afraid to see what they offer me at Tesla.

( sticker price was 162K )

Geezus. That is truly unbelievable!

Man these trade-in offers are wild. I'm closer and closer to take the leap and sell my S but I'm afraid of even checking what carmax/vroom/etc are going to offer.
Private party is the way to go for sure but it'll be tricky as I still have a lien on it and not planning on having it paid off before selling.

• Disagree
Reactions: PhilDavid
I know that not many may go that route but what's the usual position of trading in Teslas to dealers when buying other cars? Do they usually match carvana/vroom and such offers or there's no point to bother as they offer even less?

• Disagree
Reactions: PhilDavid
The for sale section of this forum is about the last place I'd attempt to sell my Tesla and that's from someone who has bought and sold 5 used Tesla Model S's over the years. This site's marketplace subforum is a toxic cesspool where bullies run the playground and the teachers are too afraid to discipline them for whatever reason. I highly recommend Craiglist & Autotrader as that's about where I've had the most luck selling.

Add Cars.com to that list!

I sold our '17 90D there last year, via their NO-COST service, and underpriced I'd guess as we had many, many queries.

Hard to beat the price . . . .

Add Cars.com to that list!

I sold our '17 90D there last year, via their NO-COST service, and underpriced I'd guess as we had many, many queries.

Hard to beat the price . . . .

I've used Cars.com in the past but my personal experience goes like this: took the time to select four (or five?) photos from my 24 or so that I had on other sites and then truncate my (length) description down to what seemed like 37 characters even though I think they allow 1,000 for the free version. Got zero legitimate hits (save for a couple of scam attempts which were quite obvious) and later on had my cars posted by scammers for much less than my previous asking price in an obvious attempt to farm remote deposits. I may still use the free service from Cars.com because... well... they price is right, but I save it for last and get to it when I can type thing. I don't put as much weight into that particular site because I think the "free" aspect from unverified accounts makes it a breeding ground for fraud which makes it difficult to sell cars that are legitimately $60k when people see the same car (literally) for $35k in a scammer's listing.

• Informative
Reactions: r1200gs4ok