Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Trade In - Ridiculous Offer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a 12 P85 back in the day that was totaled after someone hit it, and previously had some older S’s in my rental fleet. But would be very interested in a pre AP S again and/or would be interested in anybody’s older S’s if anybody is looking to sell!
That's great news. I'd love to have one of the older model S. It would be like owning and driving any older classic car. A few times when a loaner was available, I love driving the original S's.
I absolutely loved my S. There was nothing about it I didn't like. She was beautiful and so fun to drive. I decided to to trade her in because the warranty was running out and I didn't want to fork out out of pocket cost for repairs on the version I got (especially now reading $20k invoices for battery replacements) Although it didn't have AP, which I was completely fine with, it lacked other basics like parking sensors. Not because of parking, but because of things like auto-adjust cruise control and auto-stop on accident avoidance and such. Minor things, but with 3 kids in the car, I had originally purchased what I did with a plan of trading it in before warranty ran out as a test run (we went from a minivan to the S) I just hadn't expected to enjoy the vehicle so much.

The Y has some pretty big shoes to fill for sure! Won't be the same, but it's still a Tesla.

Since I can't edit the OP I'll provide an update for those that may read this for trade in info:

AutoNation was higher than Vroom and Carvana by $2k and $8k higher than Tesla.

They purchased the S on a Friday, cut me a check for my equity on the spot and by Wednesday, just a few days later, paid off the loan with my bank.

I recommend them as an option when looking at trade in options when Tesla is coming in low (which tends to be the norm)

Sold my S for over $10K privately from what Tesla had offered. Sold in 1 day. Very smooth. I was resigned to take Tesla's offer, but $10K is a big hit. Probably was lucky the sale was so effortless. I know Tesla is not in the used car business, but sometimes they are very low ball in their offer.

I'll start off by saying I'm well aware Tesla's trade in offers overall aren't the best; I had a great experience trading in my ICE when I got my S though.

However... When putting in for an offer for my S I was floored.

- In Sept 2020 I got an offer of $24.5k from tesla, which was somewhat low.
- Feb 2021 and 250sh more miles, no other changes, I get an offer of $18k.
($6500 down in less than 6 months and little miles added?! no explanation, I asked)
- Got quotes from Vroom and Carvana this month, both at $24k, so why the $18k is baffling me.

I haven't received a vin yet, as I just ordered end of Jan, but apparently the lack of checks on the delivery steps can effect getting a vin; trade in is currently a pending check as is loan (conditionally approved, condition of proof of trade-in o_O)

Has anyone rejected a trade in offer and changed your mind after? I'd prefer to trade in to avoid private sell hassles and tax benefits, but $6000 is much more than the hassle and tax savings. But if for some reason trading with Tesla ends up being the best choice, I don't want to reject the offer if it means it's final.
There are no hassles with Carvana..it took 25 minutes.. They come with the check, take some exterior pictures, check odometer and leave.....You have your check...

We just did a round of appraisals and Tesla's offer was $500 higher than Carmax and $5,000 higher than Carvana, Vroom, Shift. Heck, Tesla's offer is several thousand higher than almost a year ago when I had 10K less miles! Possibly the lack of inventory and delay of refreshed S is propping up values.

Out of curiosity, I tried AutoNation and they were the only one to beat Tesla's offer, coming in at $1,000 higher.

Reactions: ChrgdTeCHick