Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Model S has essentially the same frame as the Model X and the Model X can tow 5,000 lbs. There are users on TMC who have towed 5000 lbs and more with a Model S using a Model X hitch without issue. There is another hitch available in Europe for the Model S that has undergone extensive testing and has a rating of just over 4000 lbs. The car can handle it but you need a strong enough hitch.

Torklift sent me the new x7201s installation manual and I have compared it to the old x7201 manual from 2019. From the instructions and parts list, it looks like the new x7201s attaches to all 8 bolts per side instead of the 6 per side of the old hitch. They have also done away with the two frame plate straps that you attach to the lower bolts. Therefore, unfortunately I think yours is still the old design with six holes per side.

The new hitch would appear to have more attachment points which probably makes it much stronger. I would love to see a picture of it for comparison.
Oh wow, I didn’t even notice that. They told me the hitch was in production and wouldn’t be boxed up and ready to ship for a few days. And the guy told he thought the new design changed a few months ago. And when I w add taking to them about the hitch, they emailed me the manual and it said 4k lbs. I just figured I was getting the newer one.

Oh wow, I didn’t even notice that. They told me the hitch was in production and wouldn’t be boxed up and ready to ship for a few days. And the guy told he thought the new design changed a few months ago. And when I w add taking to them about the hitch, they emailed me the manual and it said 4k lbs. I just figured I was getting the newer one.
Here are screenshots of the parts inventory from the old hitch x7201 and the new hitch x7201s. You can see the old one has 16 nylon washers while new one has 28 nylon washers. Did your hitch come with the old parts list?

Attachments

• oldpartsinventory.png
    oldpartsinventory.png
    241.6 KB · Views: 112
  • newpartsinventory.png
    newpartsinventory.png
    272 KB · Views: 95
Here are screenshots of the parts inventory from the old hitch x7201 and the new hitch x7201s. You can see the old one has 16 nylon washers while new one has 28 nylon washers. Did your hitch come with the old parts list?
Yes my hitch is the old style amd came with 16 spacers instead of 28. BUT a humongous shout out to Torklift, they are sending me the new style hitch no charge which is totally awesome. It just sucks I have to do everything all over again. Shouldn’t be too horrible since I’ve done it once already.

Yes my hitch is the old style amd came with 16 spacers instead of 28. BUT a humongous shout out to Torklift, they are sending me the new style hitch no charge which is totally awesome. It just sucks I have to do everything all over again. Shouldn’t be too horrible since I’ve done it once already.
Wow that's great they are sending the new hitch! Please post pictures when you receive it.

@Jasper7821 I am jealous :) You'll probably be one of the few who can do a real side by side comparison not to mention getting the nice new stainless hitch. I'll see what you think of it but if it's really that much better I may have to try to sell my current one so I'm not 1k lbs over the limit towing my boat.

@Jasper7821 I am jealous :) You'll probably be one of the few who can do a real side by side comparison not to mention getting the nice new stainless hitch. I'll see what you think of it but if it's really that much better I may have to try to sell my current one so I'm not 1k lbs over the limit towing my boat.
Yes, I am pretty thankful that they’re sending me the new one. But they did tell me it was the new one when I ordered it.

When it arrives, I’ll get a bunch of photos and then also a side by side comparison when I get the installed one off.
I have no idea of what the new one looks like.

Yes, I am pretty thankful that they’re sending me the new one. But they did tell me it was the new one when I ordered it.

When it arrives, I’ll get a bunch of photos and then also a side by side comparison when I get the installed one off.
I have no idea of what the new one looks like.
I ordered the new x7201s hitch yesterday. Torklift told me that the new hitch has its bar higher than the old one and does not require reinstalling the stock impact bar. This is good news because it allows the hitch bar to be thicker and a continuous piece of metal. The old design is split in half and butt-welded in exactly a critical spot. The model X hitch was always a continuous bar.

I'm guessing the new hitch looks more like the one in Europe from MisterDotCom. See the attached picture of that one:

IMG_0680[22444]_600x600.jpg

I ordered the new x7201s hitch yesterday. Torklift told me that the new hitch has its bar higher than the old one and does not require reinstalling the stock impact bar. This is good news because it allows the hitch bar to be thicker and a continuous piece of metal. The old design is split in half and butt-welded in exactly a critical spot. The model X hitch was always a continuous bar.

I'm guessing the new hitch looks more like the one in Europe from MisterDotCom. See the attached picture of that one:

View attachment 803040
The new manual still says to make an arrow on the impact bar. If it’s not required anymore, wouldn’t it say that in the manual.
Oh well, I’m curious to see it and see the difference. As long as it’s rated to 4k, I’m good. I still don’t think I’d put my motorcycle on a carrier, I just think 340lbs or so is a lot of stress on the frame of the car. And when on bumpy roads, it’s stressing it even more.

The new manual still says to make an arrow on the impact bar. If it’s not required anymore, wouldn’t it say that in the manual.
Oh well, I’m curious to see it and see the difference. As long as it’s rated to 4k, I’m good. I still don’t think I’d put my motorcycle on a carrier, I just think 340lbs or so is a lot of stress on the frame of the car. And when on bumpy roads, it’s stressing it even more.
I think they copied and pasted much of the new manual and probably didn't remove the arrow part. I also think the new manual was probably made in January 2022 but they didn't change the year from 2021 to 2022 as people often forget in January.

I think I stumbled on a photo of the new hitch on their facebook page in the background! It is from January 2022 and shows the bar higher and attached to the upper bolts.

Torkliftnewmodelshitchpic2.jpg

Attachments

• Torkliftnewmodelshitchpic.jpg
    Torkliftnewmodelshitchpic.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 83
I think they copied and pasted much of the new manual and probably didn't remove the arrow part. I also think the new manual was probably made in January 2022 but they didn't change the year from 2021 to 2022 as people often forget in January.

I think I stumbled on a photo of the new hitch on their facebook page in the background! It is from January 2022 and shows the bar higher and attached to the upper bolts.

View attachment 803068
Wow, definitely looks beefier. Looking forward to getting it. Thanks for the photo :)

Wanted to ask a question on towing. Looking for a boat right now and I think I found one and was thinking about the extra weight.
One of the boats I found is 17ft and weights about 2,750 with the trailer and full fuel.

I planned a trip on ABRP and it has me stopping in north Phoenix with 36% left.
I added the weight of the boat and two extra people and it says 27%.
To lose that amount doesn’t seem bad at all, but don’t know how accurate that is.

Also wondering what pulling 3k out of the water will be like. I’m sure the load isn’t good for the motor, but I’d hope just for 10 seconds or so would be ok and not damage anything. And would hope the tires don’t spin cause then I’d be out of luck.

The width of the car with mirrors extended is 2” more that the width of the boat. I’d probably still want mirror extenders ?

Or I’m wondering if all this will be too much stress on the car and should I just switch to a few watercraft. I’d much rather have a boat, but I don’t want to cause damage to my car.

Just looking for thoughts.

Attachments

• 0F4066A8-0AC0-48CE-9438-E4B80FA42A7F.jpeg
    0F4066A8-0AC0-48CE-9438-E4B80FA42A7F.jpeg
    363.6 KB · Views: 83
Wanted to ask a question on towing. Looking for a boat right now and I think I found one and was thinking about the extra weight.
One of the boats I found is 17ft and weights about 2,750 with the trailer and full fuel.

I planned a trip on ABRP and it has me stopping in north Phoenix with 36% left.
I added the weight of the boat and two extra people and it says 27%.
To lose that amount doesn’t seem bad at all, but don’t know how accurate that is.

Also wondering what pulling 3k out of the water will be like. I’m sure the load isn’t good for the motor, but I’d hope just for 10 seconds or so would be ok and not damage anything. And would hope the tires don’t spin cause then I’d be out of luck.

The width of the car with mirrors extended is 2” more that the width of the boat. I’d probably still want mirror extenders ?

Or I’m wondering if all this will be too much stress on the car and should I just switch to a few watercraft. I’d much rather have a boat, but I don’t want to cause damage to my car.

Just looking for thoughts.
A trailer has much more impact on windage than the weight. On ABRP you probably need to double or triple the energy consumption (wh/mi) depending on the size of the boat and how fast you drive. I have seen numbers from other members of 600 wh/mi and more when towing larger boats and trailers.

Regarding the load on the motor, the car experiences much more stress when you floor the accelerator to do 0-60 runs than pulling a trailer. I frequently tow a 4000 lb sailboat and a 3000 lb motorboat with my 20 year old F150 which has probably half the horsepower and torque of the Model S. When I pull the boat out of the water, the engine is barely revving. Therefore, I know that the load from pulling a boat out of the water is similar to mild acceleration on a flat road and nothing compared the acceleration of the vehicle at maximum power. Unless you are putting the pedal to the floor with a trailer on the back there shouldn't be an issue with load on the motor.

Also I have never had a problem with my F150 loosing traction with 4wd and rarely do the tires slip with 2wd when pulling the boat out. The Model S weighs just as much as my F150 and I don't foresee any problems with traction either. Tesla also has excellent traction control which my F150 does not.

One thing to be concerned about possibly is braking as the extra trailer weight will extend braking distance even if the trailer has brakes. However the Model X I believe has the exact same brakes as the Model S and it is rated for 5000 lbs. I would definitely leave extra distance in front when towing to account for the increased braking distance.

Regarding mirror extenders, I never use mirror extenders on my F150 but we'll see when I try it out on my Model S.

Last edited:
A trailer has much more impact on windage than the weight. On ABRP you probably need to double or triple the energy consumption (wh/mi) depending on the size of the boat and how fast you drive. I have seen numbers from other members of 600 wh/mi and more when towing larger boats and trailers.

Regarding the load on the motor, the car experiences much more stress when you floor the accelerator to do 0-60 runs than pulling a trailer. I frequently tow a 4000 lb sailboat and a 3000 lb motorboat with my 20 year old F150 which has probably half the horsepower and torque of the Model S. When I pull the boat out of the water, the engine is barely revving. Therefore, I know that the load from pulling a boat out of the water is similar to mild acceleration on a flat road and nothing compared the acceleration of the vehicle at maximum power. Unless you are putting the pedal to the floor with a trailer on the back there shouldn't be an issue with load on the motor.

Also I have never had a problem with my F150 loosing traction with 4wd and rarely do the tires slip with 2wd when pulling the boat out. The Model S weights just as much as my F150 and I don't foresee any problems with traction either. Tesla also has excellent traction control which my F150 does not.

One thing to be concerned about possibly is braking as the extra trailer weight will extend braking distance even if the trailer has brakes. However the Model X I believe has the exact same brakes as the Model S and it is rated for 5000 lbs. I would definitely leave extra distance in front when towing to account for the increased braking distance.

Regarding mirror extenders, I never use mirror extenders on my F150 but we'll see when I try it out on my Model S.
Thank you very much, I totally spaced out and wasn’t thinking about ABRP is adding the weight to the car and not towing anything 🤪. The OP lists his added percentage, but I figured this boat is probably much heavier then his.
Oh well, either way I’ll have enough to make it to the Phoenix supercharger or a closer one. Maybe the dealer will let me tow the boat on the freeway for 20 minutes and average the consumption 😁.

And good to know, you think the strain pulling out of the water isn’t that big of a deal. I rarely ever floor it, I always try to drive and get from A-B with the least wattage.

I think my car about 70mph is 300 watts or so. I put in 600 watts in ABRP and says an extra 47 minutes in charging. If it comes out around that, then it still way better than paying for gas 😁

Last edited:
I can add a data point for towing with my Y. Two LARGE jet skis on a trailer wider than my car and total weight of about 3300 lbs cut my range in half at 55 mph. It was whacked by about 65-70% when going 70 mph.

It had no problem towing at pretty much any speed I wanted with a lot less power than the S has. Even towing the trailer I could probably do 0-60 in the high 5 second range. Absolutely no issue going up steep and wet boat ramps.

I can add a data point for towing with my Y. Two LARGE jet skis on a trailer wider than my car and total weight of about 3300 lbs cut my range in half at 55 mph. It was whacked by about 65-70% when going 70 mph.

It had no problem towing at pretty much any speed I wanted with a lot less power than the S has. Even towing the trailer I could probably do 0-60 in the high 5 second range. Absolutely no issue going up steep and wet boat ramps.
Thank you, that’s probably a pretty realistic number that I’ll experience. The total weight with fuel is 2,750 and with the large profile of the boat verses your skis maybe equals out to your setup. I’d hope for better numbers, but it is what it is. And yes it’s still better than paying for gas.

BUT where you have the huge advantage is your much newer car. My old P85+ Supercharging is throttled back a lot by Tesla. I try to pull into a station with less than 10% and leave by 40% max. It works out better for me to make shorter stops more frequently.
My avg Supercharging KW rate at % battery left is
5% 120kw
10% 114kw
15% 105kw
20% 95kw
25% 85kw
30% 76kw
35% 71kw
40% kw.
So for long distance traveling it kinda sucks with my old car. When I make a 500 trip it takes me an extra 1.5hrs. I’m sure a newer Tesla is much much shorter than that.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911