Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Trunk Lighting II

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As many have realized, the standard LEDs in the interior don’t provide much illumination…particularly when older eyeballs are concerned.

Soon after I got my MS, I replaced them with Abstract Ocean LEDs. A big improvement.

However, on a dark street, I noticed that they were still inadequate in brightness and position for me to find stuff in the rear trunk. So, round two…

Here’s what I did to upgrade the lighting to the next level (one side described; both sides done):

1. Bought a pair of daytime running light panels from Amazon.

2. Exposed a small amount of the double stick tape from each of them and attached the “hook” side of some black Velcro. (Fortunately, the interior trunk liner acts like the “loop” side of Velcro).

3. Popped out the cargo lamp near the tail light.

4. Pulled out the rear fender trunk liner from the top far enough to push some thin two-conductor wire from the existing cargo lamp opening to the new location (see photo).

5. Used wire nuts (because I was lazy..automotive crimp terminals would have been better) to attach one end of the wire pair to the new light panel (making note of polarity).

6. Tucked the wire nuts and extra wire behind the trunk liner, pushed the liner back in place, and then attached the light panel to the location shown in the photo. Because of the Velcro, it's easy to re-position it.

7. Attached the other end of the wire pair to the two wires at the existing bulb socket. (Positive to Orange-light green, Negative to Black). I used small Posi-Taps for this because they are quick, easy, and make minimum disruption to the factory wires.

Caveat: At 12.0V, each panel draws ¼ Amp. This extra load (plus the Abstract Ocean LEDs) shouldn’t risk overloading the trunk lighting circuit, but no guarantee…especially since the voltage can go to 14+V. But so far, so good.

Photos:
Velcro Attached to Double Stick Tape.JPG Install Location.JPG Illumination Pattern.JPG

Source of materials:

www.abstractocean.com/Tesla_interior_light_kit/

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D2VDRVM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

www.amazon.com/Lockitt-POSI-TAP-pack-connectors-20-22/dp/B001MPW54G/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1508074918&sr=1-1&keywords=Lockitt+POSI-TAP+6+pack+wire+connectors+20-22+awg

I ordered a few sets to try in different places. Thank you for the write up!

You're welcome!

There are lots of these sort of lights out there. I liked this one because it's COB, for a more even light beam (I hate those light strips with raw LED die), color matched to what's already there, and it had a nice frame with an aluminum heat sink backing. On the down side, the wires are really thin and not easy to strip without breaking some of the strands.

Good luck with your experimenting.

I have a 2017 Model S and the trunk lighting is almost non-existent. Seeing the threads on this forum, I bought the aftermarket strips from Norm. Instructions were clear until I realized that I don't have any lighting in the trunk itself (on the other side of the tail lights) like others describe. There is only a single light in the center of the hatch itself. Anyone else deal with this? In will be a major pain to extend all the wiring and run it to the hatch to piggy back on the power source.

I have a 2017 Model S and the trunk lighting is almost non-existent. Seeing the threads on this forum, I bought the aftermarket strips from Norm. Instructions were clear until I realized that I don't have any lighting in the trunk itself (on the other side of the tail lights) like others describe. There is only a single light in the center of the hatch itself. Anyone else deal with this? In will be a major pain to extend all the wiring and run it to the hatch to piggy back on the power source.
I *think* the additional lights come with the premium upgrade package (PUP) option.

I also *think* I remember reading all the wires are in place if the PUP wasn’t purchased and you just have to find them.

I *think* the additional lights come with the premium upgrade package (PUP) option.

I also *think* I remember reading all the wires are in place if the PUP wasn’t purchased and you just have to find them.

At least in my recent experience, you are correct as far as the trunk is concerned. Both of the "missing" trunk liner lights have wiring ready just behind the (already- perforated) panel. I feel like I got something for nothing when I put a couple of the Abstract Ocean lights into the rear liner.

Does anyone know where one can buy the male and female connectors used by these lights? I'd like to add further upgrades...