Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Trunk will not open or close electronically and will not lock if you manually push it down

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2020 Tesla Model S. Out of the blue, the trunk would not close after putting some groceries inside. There was no obstruction. It just beeps 3 times and doesn't move whether pushing the button on the hatchback, or using the dashboard control or the app or the key fob. You can manually push it almost closed, but it is not actually latched and the dashboard shows alert trunk is not locked.

Drove it home and problem remains. We have seen posts suggesting various ways to "reset" the trunk closure system, but have not been able to get them to work.

2020 Tesla Model S. Out of the blue, the trunk would not close after putting some groceries inside. There was no obstruction. It just beeps 3 times and doesn't move whether pushing the button on the hatchback, or using the dashboard control or the app or the key fob. You can manually push it almost closed, but it is not actually latched and the dashboard shows alert trunk is not locked.

Drove it home and problem remains. We have seen posts suggesting various ways to "reset" the trunk closure system, but have not been able to get them to work.
sounds like cinch motor, common failure. Can fail and lock down hatch so you cant open it or half way where you have to manually close it (opening not an issue in this failure mode) i have had both failure modes in 130k miles (2016)

I had this same thing happen to my 2019 MS and put in a service call on warranty. Tesla mobile service was able to come out and replace the trunk latch at my house. It took them about an hour. Everything has been fine since then. Repair was about six months ago.

Correct, it was either the motor or the latch and the mobile technician replaced both under warranty. He admitted these tended to fail shortly after warranty expired. Sounds like more corner cutting to me. This failure was at 22,000 or so.