TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S turn signal stalk positioning

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Stuart, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Stuart

Stuart Roadster#326, ModelS#1409

In my test drive on Saturday I noticed that the Model S turn signal stalk is lower than I'm used to. When signaling a turn I kept hitting the cruise control stalk instead of the turn signal stalk.

Maybe this is because I'm used to holding the steering wheel in the traditional 10-2 position. Modern advice for cars with steering wheel airbags seems to be to hold the wheel at 9-3 or even 8-4.

Is Tesla just being weird here, or is Tesla being ahead of the times by recognizing the new recommended hand positioning?

2. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

Probably will only take a couple drives to get used to the positioning. Chalk it up to new hardware

3. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Active Member

It's a Mercedes wheel and stalks. Mercedes drivers complain about it, too, so it is surprising that Tesla didn't remedy it when they adapted the components. I guess they had time pressures. Note that Model X apparently has Tesla designed steering wheel and stalks.

4. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Looks like the X has the same setup unfortunately. Ah well, at least we get the iPod controls.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340768843.290990.jpg

5. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I didn't mind the position at all. But I did accidentally trigger the wipers once when I turned right.

6. olanmills

olanmills Member

I'm still dissappointed that we didn't get push buttons or even touchscreen buttons for "gear" shifting. (I would love the touchscreen buttons too. I just want as much 'future' as possible, lol)

Anyways, I guess we'll just get used to it.

7. kendallpb

kendallpb Model S: P 8061

My safe driving class (oh, hush ;-) recommended none of the above; you should hold at opposite sides, one hand higher up and the other lower down. I don't recall clock-based examples (though surely they had them), but I think like 10-4, 11-5, or even (though it would seem weird to me) 8-2 or 7-1. I'm not sure who's recommending what ;-) but I don't know that there's a consensus. The reasons in my (online) safety class were, of course, safety related--but specifically, maneuverability/control of wheel, IIRC--not anything related to whether you had airbags.

Every car I drive has things in weird places--none of them like my car. ;-) There may be a "standard" position for things, but I can't tell by the cars I rent.

8. jimbakker666

jimbakker666 Member

Only one gear ;)

9. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

My dad hit the cruise control stock the first time but then adapted to it pretty quickly.

10. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I was raised (parental and instructors) on 10-2 but, when using both hands, have always been naturally inclined to something more like 10-4. Something about the 180 degree symmetry felt more "in control" to me. Sounds somewhat like what kendallpb is describing.

11. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

I am assuming that the turn signal stalk comes out at about 10 o'clock??

I drive at 9-3 and my car has the turn signal stalk right at 9 so it works out great.

12. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Ditto. I find resting my left arm on the window sill (rolled down) and grabbing around 10-11 with the other hand (when needed) at around 4-5 makes me feel most in control.

I've got a Mercedes rental again this weekend. Last time around the gear shift annoyed the hell out of me. I'll try the cruise control this time (since I'm not likely to get a chance to try it in the S).

13. MikeK

MikeK R#129, TSLA shareholder

Given that the steering wheel itself has obvious grips at 10 and 2, that would seem to be the natural place to hold the wheel. It's certainly where I normally do. I do find it strange, and I commented to my "co-pilot" about it, who said that it does take getting used to. It is straight out of the Mercedes parts bin, as others have noted. I'm sure I'll get used to it without too much trouble.

14. AustinPowers

AustinPowers Total Smeghead

I probably shouldn't admit it, but like many (most?) German drivers I hold the steering wheel with just one hand (right) most of the time...

Unless I have to change gears of course. :wink:

15. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Anything higher than 9-3 is unsafe in modern cars. If you get into an accident and the airbag goes off you will punch yourself in the head, break your wrists, etc.

9-3 also gives you better leverage on the wheel. If you take advanced driver training, the vast majority of schools will teach 9-3.

16. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

That's a good point. Airbags are newer than the 10-2 indoctrination timeline I was referencing.

17. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

That's good to know. That's what you almost have to do in the Roadster since the horns are there and you can't find them in an emergency if you happen to have your steering wheel turned.

That's the way I've been used to anyway the past few years so nice to know that is recommended anyway.

18. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

So glad you posted that. It is very, very true.

19. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Just being contrary - this sounded fantastical to me so I searched it in several different ways. I found plenty of websites saying it could happen, but not one single report of it actually happening. Anyone know of one?

20. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

Yep, my buddy was in a head on and lost quite a bit of blood from the airbag scraping his forearms. Didn't break his wrists though. It's one of the reasons I drive at six o'clock mostly or at just 9 o'clock since I'm shifting with the right hand in the MINI.