Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S turning off blinker after auto lane change?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As far back as my Model S test drive in July 2017 I did not understand why I had to turn off the blinker after the car completes the auto lane change. Could it not simply turn off the blinker itself? The guy from Tesla on the test drive did not know or did not offer a good answer.

Anyway, now that the Model 3 is available I am seeing youtube videos where it will turn off the blinker automatically after the auto lane change and am back asking way my Model S can not also do it.

So, is this something that is impossible with a Model S / X? Like maybe there is no electronic signal to the turn signal? I just do not understand why the Model 3 does it but my Model S does not.

I know I could hold the turn signal part way down until the lane change is mostly complete and then let go but I mean just put on the turn signal and then let go and then when the lane change is complete the car will turn it off.

The S wasn't designed to do that. It's different hardware.

Put another way, the Model 3 enabled this by having the design compromise of the goofy feeling behavior that the signal stalk does not physically staying in place. Rather a touch and return to center, like some Fords have had. So to turn if off manually you have to use a counter intuitive motion, or at the least it's counter intuitive motion to anyone that's driven most any other vehicle than say those select Ford models.

My best guess is that the answer lies in the nature of the turn signal switch on the steering column. The ones on the Model S and Model X have physical latches, but the ones in the Model 3 are toggles. The physical latch is, essentially, and on-off switch, so once it is latched, the switch provides the electrical current to the circuit and it will keep flashing until disconnected. In the case of Model 3, the toggle function suggests that the switch motion merely activates a circuit that in turn operates the turn signals. A second switch motion sends a signal to the circuit to shut off the signals. Hence some other function could also be programmed to switch the signals on or off.

So, my guess is that, short of a new non-mechanical switch design, Model S and X will continue to operate as they do now.

On the other hand, perhaps the Model S/X could be programmed to use the lane change indication instead. The lane change signal is activated by a partial press of the switch, and causes a cycle of three flashes. That implies an electronic circuit in the mix. So I could imagine something like a double press of that switch to the intermediate position causing a signal to the AP system to activate the turn signals, and to change lanes.

Just an educated guess....

So when they can do true auto lane change (without any input from the driver which is part of EAP) then they would not actually change the turn signal ARM (like moving the steering wheel with AS) but just activate the turn signal internally? I wonder how we would override that if we see a problem?

So when they can do true auto lane change (without any input from the driver which is part of EAP) then they would not actually change the turn signal ARM (like moving the steering wheel with AS) but just activate the turn signal internally? I wonder how we would override that if we see a problem?
I would assume this is the answer. AP would turn it on and turn it off. Override would perhaps be the same as for everything else, turn the wheel or hit the brake to disengage AP (or part of it, since it's Autosteer you turn off for the wheel...).

You can activate auto lane change by holding the blinker stalk in the half position, and keeping it there until the lane change completes. This is how I utilize auto lane change- I do this all the time

That's exactly how I do it as well. BTW, if you give the stalk a half press like that and release, it'll give 3 sequential blinks to signal a manual lane change maneuver. It always bugs me when someone will press the lever all the way to the latch position for a lane change, then have to manually snap it back to center. Makes me cringe.

Reactions: boaterva
That's exactly how I do it as well. BTW, if you give the stalk a half press like that and release, it'll give 3 sequential blinks to signal a manual lane change maneuver. It always bugs me when someone will press the lever all the way to the latch position for a lane change, then have to manually snap it back to center. Makes me cringe.
I understand. I mentioned that in my original post. But you have to hold it that way until the lane change is pretty much done. If you let go too soon the car jumps back which is a bigger problem. So, I just put it all the way down like I was driving myself.

Almost seems like a feature that would have to be an option for some if they wanted it vs drivers that would not.

Im not sure how we could expect the MS to know you were traveling one lane over vs two or even three lanes potentially. It would seem terribly annoying to activate the blinker have auto lane change travel one lane and then disengage the blinker. (Maybe more advanced options in the menu would allow for single lane changes or different options)

I also use the half way position of the blinker until I have changed my desired lane amount and release.

Almost seems like a feature that would have to be an option for some if they wanted it vs drivers that would not.

Im not sure how we could expect the MS to know you were traveling one lane over vs two or even three lanes potentially. It would seem terribly annoying to activate the blinker have auto lane change travel one lane and then disengage the blinker. (Maybe more advanced options in the menu would allow for single lane changes or different options)

I also use the half way position of the blinker until I have changed my desired lane amount and release.

Autopilot only changes one lane at the time.

I assume both Model S and X can turn on and off the blinkers because they are going to need that for EAP and FSD.