Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S unable to start car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HI After 77k miles since new I had my first breakdown, I got a warning on the screen. CAR NEEDS SERVICE. next- CAR MAY NOT RESTART next- UNABLE TO START CAR next- UNABLE TO DRIVE next- VOLTAGE SUPPLY TOO LOW.

So I called Tesla who arranged the car to be taken to Dartford Service Center to diagnose the problem.
The car stopped on my work yard not on the public road. The main battery has 178 miles the small battery was replaced 12 months ago. the car was new in January 2016 the center screen still works, the dash screen still works, I booted the screens twice and the fault was still there. When driving the car the day before, the first warning was CAR NEEDS SERVICE then ACCELERATION AND TOP SPEED REDUCED, Performance may be restored on next drive. Also the car did a test when I stopped. Next day the fault came back and then the car died 20 miles later.

Would anyone know what this fault might be.
Regards Blue Hawk

HI After 77k miles since new I had my first breakdown, I got a warning on the screen. CAR NEEDS SERVICE. next- CAR MAY NOT RESTART next- UNABLE TO START CAR next- UNABLE TO DRIVE next- VOLTAGE SUPPLY TOO LOW.

So I called Tesla who arranged the car to be taken to Dartford Service Center to diagnose the problem.
The car stopped on my work yard not on the public road. The main battery has 178 miles the small battery was replaced 12 months ago. the car was new in January 2016 the center screen still works, the dash screen still works, I booted the screens twice and the fault was still there. When driving the car the day before, the first warning was CAR NEEDS SERVICE then ACCELERATION AND TOP SPEED REDUCED, Performance may be restored on next drive. Also the car did a test when I stopped. Next day the fault came back and then the car died 20 miles later.

Regards Blue Hawk
We're

Regards Blue Hawk

Were you able to determine what's up?

• Funny
Reactions: Only Trons
Mine died while driving. They said 12v battery had lost it's charge. I got a jump of 14.5v for hour and it came back to life. They never determined what caused. That was scary, and would have cost a cool $1000 for troubleshooting. Not counting the $500 tow to the SC.

Regards Blue Hawk
Similar thing happened to me in my 2015 S with 38,000 mi. Got a warning “car may not restart, service immediately”. Same here had the 12v changed out back in February. Come find out I needed a new main battery. Replaced under warranty.

Similar thing happened to me in my 2015 S with 38,000 mi. Got a warning “car may not restart, service immediately”. Same here had the 12v changed out back in February. Come find out I needed a new main battery. Replaced under warranty.

HI Thanks for your post, The fault was water ingress into the high voltage rapid mate,including corrision damage to the high voltage cables that travel from the high voltage battery to the high voltage junction box.
They had to replace contactors and cables,cost me £2,682 spent 10 days driving a ICE car and visiting a petrol station first time in 4 and half years. Car had done 77k. TESLA warning keep away from deep puddles.

• Informative
Reactions: youlikeadajuice
Perhaps you might make an insurance claim for this very expensive repair.

It sounds like when you had some serious flooding there and the roads were water-filled. Thus, that water damage is an insurable hazard, assuming you can remember the date that said event might have occured.

Good luck.

HI Thanks for your post, The fault was water ingress into the high voltage rapid mate,including corrision damage to the high voltage cables that travel from the high voltage battery to the high voltage junction box.
They had to replace contactors and cables,cost me £2,682 spent 10 days driving a ICE car and visiting a petrol station first time in 4 and half years. Car had done 77k. TESLA warning keep away from deep puddles.

I just had the same experience, Tesla says there is water intrusion in the rapid mate...they are 70% sure it will bring my car back to life. I’m hoping this will fix it, I had no sudden battery loss prior to the car not working. I’m 3,000 miles outside of the battery/drivetrain warranty though, so I’m on the hook for repair cost. I drive the car in all types of weather, but I definitely haven’t driven through any deep puddles lately, and certainly never anything deep enough to reach the bottom of the car.