Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S unable to Supercharge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sharing an experience in hopes it could be of value to someone else.
Wouldn’t you know the 1st time I attempt take my MS P85+ on significant road trip-200 miles to Las Vegas (work related)- I nearly got stranded.
Pulled off in Barstow with 89 miles remaining in charge, found a beautiful new huge super charging station, plugged in but soon noticed it wasn’t charging. Disconnected, tried again & noticed an error message popped up briefly “unable to charge, disconnect cable and retry”. Moved to another stall, and even drove to another Tesla SC location with the same result. The 2nd location I was under the shade and that’s when I noticed the brief “red ring of death” (a rechargeable battery dilemma).
Got out the J1772 plug and drove back to the first location where I saw ChargePoint and thank goodness was able to charge at a snails pace. No way was I going to continue to Vegas so I returned home after charging for 4 hours and found my 30A charging set up at home also worked fine.
Did a software update, went to my closest SC, wouldn’t charge.
Pulled the HV loop to the battery’s and disconnected the 12v battery going for a hard “reboot”, back to the SC & same result.
Scheduled an appt with Tesla & got the car back 5 days later. Repaired for $1388 by replacing the Rear HV junction box. Happy to be driving my S again! The problem the car developed didn’t hamper my daily routine (about 100 miles a day). I rarely supercharge but the not having supercharging capabilities would not allow me to leave my trip “safety bubble.”

Attachments

• C30313BF-835B-4BAF-9BE5-EBA3A78EEA29.jpeg
    C30313BF-835B-4BAF-9BE5-EBA3A78EEA29.jpeg
    350.8 KB · Views: 140