TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S under wraps

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by artsci, May 5, 2013.

1. artsci

artsci Sponsor

As I live in a townhouse without a garage, I have to park my Model S outdoors. So in anticipation of delivery, months ago I ordered the outdoor cover for the Model S. With my car fully detailed yesterday, I was ready to try out the cover tonight.

After I got it all unwrapped, I stretched it over the car. It was very easy to put on. Results are posted below. I've used many car covers before but the quality of this cover is a whole level higher. It fits perfectly and has an elastic gather all the way around the bottom which means it won't blow off in high winds. It also has a flap over the charge port and mesh openings for battery ventilation over the two front wheels and front grille.

I could not be more pleased with the quality and fit of this superb cover. Tesla does it again!

DSC_3311.JPG

DSC_3307.JPG

DSC_3303.JPG

DSC_3300.JPG

2. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

I would love to see a picture of that cool evse you installed.

3. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Here's a photo of the Model S plugged in.

DSC_3189.JPG

You might also want to check this thread. It has all the details.

4. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

Make sure you keep the inside of that cover super clean. Don't want the cover to be the source of scratches on that beauty.

5. artsci

artsci Sponsor

For that reason I dust and clean the surface of the car before I put the cover on and wash the cover when needed. I kept a Honda S2000 this way for 11 years. It looked new when I sold it.

6. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

Your Tesla looks very happy - big grin under that cover.

7. JerryNycom

JerryNycom Member

So what is the major difference between indoor and outdoor? Shouldn't I just get outdoor and be safe even though going to use indoors for long storage?

8. StephenM

StephenM Active Member

Nice! Similar taste in cars. I had an S2000 for many years too and that's the last car I was passionate about until the Model S came out :smile:

That cover does look outstanding.

9. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

I touched both in the service center a week ago. The outdoor one seems to be much thicker. Similar, but not the same fabric either. The exterior one is only another $50. I think it would work fine inside, and would surely hold up better outside.

But I just don't care that much about the pristineness of my car. So I didn't really check further that a quick feel.

10. artsci

artsci Sponsor

The outdoor version has two layers. The inner layer is a white velour type material that provides a gentle, scratch-free layer for the paint. The outer layers is some kind of waterproof fabric. It's the best car cover I've ever seen, and I've seen quite a few.

- - - Updated - - -

I loved the S2000, but once I drove Model S, the Honda seemed like a great car from a soon-to-be bygone era.

11. MidlifeCrisis

MidlifeCrisis Member

I'm definitely going to buy one of the Tesla covers for my Model S (due end January), but I'm trying to decide between the outdoor or indoor one. My car will always be garaged when at home and in a covered parking garage at work. When I park at the airport I also park in the covered lot, so it would be very rare that I would need to leave the car outside without cover for even one night, but I suppose it could happen.

For that reason, I'm wondering whether I should get the indoor cover since I'll be indoor or in covered parking 95% of the time or go with the outdoor cover in case I need it outdoors, but use that cover indoors all the time.

Any suggestions? Is there anyone who uses the outdoor cover frequently indoors?

12. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Given the anticipated uses you've described I'd get the indoor version. It's also lighter and less bulky.