Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Update available 8-12-2016 questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This will be the first time i have an update available for my MS. I see the alert on my console saying it will take about 1 hour 40 min to install..

couple questions..

1) is the update already downloaded locally when you get these alerts? I am curious because you can schedule it to install at a certain time since it says you are unable to drive the car during the update. i also ask because when the car is parked in my garage it is connected to wifi and would prefer to have it download the update this way rather then 4G.

as of right now since we all have the 3G/4G networks included its not a big deal. but when these big updates are available for cars that no longer have unlimited data i would assume you can have the option to chose whether you'd want to use data or wifi?

2) since Tesla is compared to apple a lot on how things are done.. is there a link or spot where you can see what these new updates are fixing or adding to your software before you update?

This will be the first time i have an update available for my MS. I see the alert on my console saying it will take about 1 hour 40 min to install..

couple questions..

1) is the update already downloaded locally when you get these alerts? I am curious because you can schedule it to install at a certain time since it says you are unable to drive the car during the update. i also ask because when the car is parked in my garage it is connected to wifi and would prefer to have it download the update this way rather then 4G.

as of right now since we all have the 3G/4G networks included its not a big deal. but when these big updates are available for cars that no longer have unlimited data i would assume you can have the option to chose whether you'd want to use data or wifi?

2) since Tesla is compared to apple a lot on how things are done.. is there a link or spot where you can see what these new updates are fixing or adding to your software before you update?
1. Yes, it's already downloaded. It usually does not take the full 1:40 to install. More like 30-35 minutes.
2. No, they don't provide specific release notes. We wish they would. There is a "changelog" provided by @Ingineer in both the 7.1 and Changelog threads that identify which modules are updated in the firmware.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: nitram26
I did the update last night and it was also my first update. I was notified of the update on my Apple Watch which I thought was cool. I went out to the MS and it said it would take 1 hour and 40 minutes. It really only took less than 10 minutes to complete the update.