Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S updates interior? [Speculation]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Gixx1300R

Dec 30, 2017
orlando
Here is an artist rendering of the new Model S interior. Hopefully this is what it will look like
Tesla Update (2).jpg

Here is an artist rendering of the new Model S interior. Hopefully this is what it will look like

Most likely, to cut cost, it would look more like Model 3 instead of the artist rendering.

Tesla has prepared the downgrade by making the user swappable top/bottom windows in Version 8.1 now unswappable in version 9.0 just like the function of Model 3 screen.

That means, the next step would be a real screen like Model 3, not just a software version 9.0 like Model 3.

I am not looking forward into the future being downgraded not just in software but physically just like Model 3.

This looks very Audi to me..... especially the side mirror blind spot warning light and the busy steering wheel. I don’t dislike it, but it doesn’t exude that Zen minimalist look that Elon & Tesla seem to favor. Love the doors, though.

The LCD touch controls on the steering wheel are unlikely. The prototype Model X had a similar thing and it never made it to the final car. Steering wheel buttons need to be physical tactile controls because a driver cannot look down to see a tiny screen when they should be looking straight ahead.

I think the refreshed Model S will look more like the Model 3 (and Y) which is unfortunate because I actually like the current styling of the Model S and X.

Reactions: Hank42 and Brettski
The LCD touch controls on the steering wheel are unlikely. The prototype Model X had a similar thing and it never made it to the final car. Steering wheel buttons need to be physical tactile controls because a driver cannot look down to see a tiny screen when they should be looking straight ahead.
Neh, those were the old school automotive designers. Elon fired then long ago after they told him the same thing about the tiny v9 buttons on the bottom of then big screen, requiring the driver to look even farther down instead of looking straight. The real reason such controls won't make it is simply cost (or production and support).

that rendition cracks me up.
Yeah right, Tesla wants to minimize stuff, so the new refresh on the S will likely be like a Model 3, probably only a larger display then what the 3 has, and a completely missing drivers console.

I think it looks neat, very new age tech with some Roadster 2020 influence. I love the fact it doesn't have a horizontal screen.

That being said, I doubt it'll occur. As others are saying, Tesla is aiming for minimalist, not more screens. The track pads on the steering wheel are a nice idea, but in practice could be annoying as even a slight brush may change something you'd not want change as you handled the wheel; something that a physical roller wouldn't allow. When was the drawing rendered? Recently?

There is no way that's gonna be the case. Tesla is all about simple interiors and with Model 3 they went even simpler. Meaning the Model S refresh will almost certainly be simpler than the current Model S.

I'd be surprised if there was a dashboard on the new one. They will probably put an enormous center screen though, likely bigger than the Model 3 for better distinction.

This probably is not what we'll see for S or X.

First, the console display is wrong. The display will likely be rotated into landscape mode - which will be more usable when Tesla enables videos when operating under FSD. Also a curved display is not ergonomic - creating increased reflections moving the top of the display further from the driver.

S should get door pockets with any interior refresh - so redesigning the doors is likely.

Unlikely we'll see steering wheel controls like what is pictured - Tesla seems to have settled on the current design with two scroll wheels - plus Tesla will likely be shifting to a steering wheel-optional design (when FSD is approved), so it seems unlikely they would make any changes related to changing controls on a steering wheel.

And with the lack of storage in the front of the S - would they really cut the glove compartment in half???

The drawing looks interesting - but probably not what we'll see from Tesla for the next S/X interior.