Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S upgraded (mine, not the shape)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After some unexpected initiative from Tesla I upgraded my 2015 ‘legacy shape’ 85D for a new 75D.
I’ve had it for a week now, so for all the ‘legacy’ owners that may be contemplating a change here are my observed differences;
Bodywork - the nose obviously, very sleek lights, lots of discrete camera’s, the horrible plastic skirt is gone all round and is now paint, the 21” wheels (extra) are now staggered, the rear view camera is crystal sharp and is a 180degree camera. This means when parked nose first to the kerb you can see up the road before backing out. The glass roof looks stunning.
The charge port shuts itself, which when you have two tesla in the garage this is a very big deal.
Handling - the acceleration feels the same. The ride feels more solid. Both had air suspension and 21’s. It is now noticably quieter. Clearly thats not from the engine, so someone has done some good accoustic work. That annoying deep drumming from the rear is gone too. Cornering feels the same, just a bit more solid.
Autopilot - this is the tesla autopilot whereas the other was the mobileye autopilot. Its less jerky and keeps nice and straight. Seems accurate. Won’t yet do lane changes on normal multilane roads. Will do them on freeways apparently. Fix coming ‘soon’.
Interior - all the same shape, but the seats are sooooo much better. Lower, brilliant soft tesla “leather”, the chrome is now all gunmetal, the entire roof is glass, and was tested today at 28 degrees. No heat or glare issues yet. The rear parcel shelf folds right back so no longer blocks your view when left up. The sound system output is noticably better. Music now vibrates the car. The mirror in the visor is now integrated, has an intersting split cover and is well illuminated. OTT illuminated. The visor is also telescopic so you can slide it across. I can now have a phone conversation with a vastly improved mic.
The interior materials used are much more appropriate.
The fair filters are fantastic. Sat behind a smokey guzzler today. Didn’t change anything not did I smell anything.
Comes at the expense of frunk space, but in a D it’s useless anyway, so now the space is more useless.
Range is slightly less, looking like around 25km. Given I’ve never been below 100km remaining this is’nt going to be a concern....although tesla did say it would be identical. Just sayin’.
Delivery - its gone downhill. Both cars had issues that should never ever leave the factory. But our local tesla guy is straight onto dealing with them with no fuss, so not a huge issue. As always he is keen to minimise our inconvenience.....but tesla USA seriously need to sack their quality control person, either that or employ one. Not sure why the guys in melbourne didn’t notice them either before they put it on a truck to Adelaide. But Gerard to the rescue!
After a week, I’m still enjoying the car and how good it feels. Not regretting my upgrade decision.

I've got an early S75D (Oct 2016). It's been uncorked so I get about 4.2s 0-100kph.
I'm curious what improvements have come from the early to the current 75Ds. Eg mine doesn't have auto boot opening etc.

Good post, paulp, thanks. Similar feelings I got when I went to the new build- better solidity and details overall in the car.
You might find the range is the same after a couple of long drives recalibrates the battery prediction algorithm?

Reactions: paulp
@paulp now now they certainly did running up the end of the super charging offer on inventory cars....like you I won't discuss finances online but the Model X I just purchased for my wife was an inventory car which came with a substantial discount....as was the other 3 friends that bought through me as a referral right before super charging ended all on inventory cars (and not ex demos etc.).

Build a car online, no discount...grab a inventory car and yes discounts that can be considerable depending on the cars "details".....I am assuming you bought an inventory car....

@paulp now now they certainly did running up the end of the super charging offer on inventory cars....like you I won't discuss finances online but the Model X I just purchased for my wife was an inventory car which came with a substantial discount....as was the other 3 friends that bought through me as a referral right before super charging ended all on inventory cars (and not ex demos etc.).

Build a car online, no discount...grab a inventory car and yes discounts that can be considerable depending on the cars "details".....I am assuming you bought an inventory car....
No I bought to order, waited the 3 months.
Just had to have the white interior. It’s quite stunning.

@paulp agreed, white is darn nice....and dead simple to keep clean with the vegan leather.....

I am not sure if I'll get a Model S or 3 next time however I want blue with a white interior....if I get a 3 it'll need to be a P ;-)

Incidental, how many KW does your solar array need to be able to charge from the sun?

@paulp agreed, white is darn nice....and dead simple to keep clean with the vegan leather.....

I am not sure if I'll get a Model S or 3 next time however I want blue with a white interior....if I get a 3 it'll need to be a P ;-)

Incidental, how many KW does your solar array need to be able to charge from the sun?

I have a 30kw system. Nice day today, so currently pumping 20kw early arvo. Have both tesla’s on charge at 26kmh and the electric pool heater+pump on, and still exporting 7kw.
I tend to tweak the charge rate to suit the available power. I can easily charge one tesla at full beans 78kmh without using grid power.

Reactions: Shock-On-T
@paulp nice, and you don't store energy to ever charge cars at night?
I use the grid as storage. If I export double my nightly needs, my 24hr cost ends up at zero. I’m also lucky enough to be able to charge the cars during the day. It was way cheaper to buy more solar panels and play the export game than buying 3 powerwalls.
The powerwalls will happen, but not just yet as the payback is too long. Our gov is about to provide a big grant to households though, so I’d suggest I’ll be committing to storage soon, tesla soon.