Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • The final cut of TMC Podcast #29 is available now with topics time-stamped. We discussed the Tesla Cybertruck's expected 1 MW Ultra-Fast Charging capability, the Tesla Semi Delivery Event, the coming Model 3 refresh (project "Highland"), and more. You can watch it now on YouTube.
I have always considered my Model S a luxury and I think scrimping on a luxury is self defeating, consequently when I ordered my Model S I bought a fully loaded P85. There were two features that many of us wanted and were not then available for purchase:

1) Power Folding Mirrors
2) Parking Assist

My Model S recently went to the Bellevue Service center for its 12 month service and the addition of the new Battery Shield. I was given a loaner model recently produced which had both of these two features installed. My techno-lust was instantly aroused and I asked if these items could be retro-fit. The answer was yes, for a price ...

It turns out the power mirrors were only about $2400. Since I have to manually fold in my driver's side mirror every day when I park in my garage, I thought this was worth it. The parking assist was a much more expensive matter. The service center will not drill your existing bumpers (6-8 holes?) for the sensors. You have to buy new pre-drilled bumpers from the factory. AND since I had already replaced a bumper, I knew that bumpers come from the factory UNPAINTED. This means the service center needs to send out to a sub contractor for the painting. AND since I had paint protection film, it meant that the new bumpers would have the paint protection film added after the paint by a different sub contractor. I swallowed hard and said yes to another $6000 for the parking assist retrofit. After sales tax (9.4% in Bellevue, WA) the total bill was just short of $10K.

Am I crazy? Is anyone else going to do this?

$6000 for the parking assist retrofit. After sales tax (9.4% in Bellevue, WA) the total bill was just short of $10K.

Am I crazy? Is anyone else going to do this?
Could you have gotten the parts from Tesla and had them installed aftermarket somewhere saving on the bumpers, paint, and Xpel? That's a lot of dough for something that's not a necessity..

- - - Updated - - -

And 9.4% sales tax... Wow. :-(

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC