TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S Upgrades

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by RFBrost, May 3, 2014.

1. RFBrost

RFBrost Member

I have always considered my Model S a luxury and I think scrimping on a luxury is self defeating, consequently when I ordered my Model S I bought a fully loaded P85. There were two features that many of us wanted and were not then available for purchase:

1) Power Folding Mirrors
    2) Parking Assist

My Model S recently went to the Bellevue Service center for its 12 month service and the addition of the new Battery Shield. I was given a loaner model recently produced which had both of these two features installed. My techno-lust was instantly aroused and I asked if these items could be retro-fit. The answer was yes, for a price ...

It turns out the power mirrors were only about $2400. Since I have to manually fold in my driver's side mirror every day when I park in my garage, I thought this was worth it. The parking assist was a much more expensive matter. The service center will not drill your existing bumpers (6-8 holes?) for the sensors. You have to buy new pre-drilled bumpers from the factory. AND since I had already replaced a bumper, I knew that bumpers come from the factory UNPAINTED. This means the service center needs to send out to a sub contractor for the painting. AND since I had paint protection film, it meant that the new bumpers would have the paint protection film added after the paint by a different sub contractor. I swallowed hard and said yes to another $6000 for the parking assist retrofit. After sales tax (9.4% in Bellevue, WA) the total bill was just short of $10K.

Am I crazy? Is anyone else going to do this?

2. MacLeodMX

MacLeodMX Member

1 vote for crazy. I had loaner with the parking sensors and hated/ mistrusted them.

3. GaryREM

GaryREM Member

You've already made the decision. It was something you wanted and you got it.

I'm not sure many other folks are going to spend that much, but its your decision, so enjoy it.

4. huntjo

huntjo Member

Not crazy, but thanks for running the numbers for us. I think I'll skip it and wait for OEM front and side cameras

:biggrin:

5. Ssssly

Ssssly Member

#5 Ssssly, May 3, 2014
    Last edited: May 3, 2014
    If you wanted those features you only have (had) two choices; upgrade or sell & buy new.

You'd have to run the analysis on your configuration to determine if you made the best financial move and/or are crazy.

6. Ugliest1

Ugliest1 S85: "Sparky"

That's the wrong question. It should be "am I crazy enough?" Because of the new hardware features coming... whenever...

My wife really wanted the parking sensors, me not so much. But I'm sure glad we have them, they work really well.

7. SeminoleFSU

SeminoleFSU Member

Could you have gotten the parts from Tesla and had them installed aftermarket somewhere saving on the bumpers, paint, and Xpel? That's a lot of dough for something that's not a necessity..

- - - Updated - - -

And 9.4% sales tax... Wow. :-(

8. MiddKid

MiddKid Member

No state income tax helps!

9. joefee

joefee Over 2 Million TMC page views

Most would say we are already crazy for spending what we did in the first place...